Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Low Trac comes on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low Trac comes on...

Well, I have been having a problem with the ABS inop and my Low Trac coming on the past couple of days. Well, I went to inspect the rotors and pads up front and it looks like they needed replacement. So, I changed them out tonight and got on the road. No ABS light anymore, but when I brake somewhat hard, the trac light comes on and the brake pedal seems to kinda fight me for a second. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Do I need to replace the rears? I dont think it's a glitch because I can feel the pressurefrom the brake pedal everytime the light comes on.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Um, that's normal. Low Trac comes on when your ABS system kicks in. The brake pedal fighting you is the ABS system pulsing the pedal to keep your tires from locking up. No glitches.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Well, it's normal to be fighting the pedal I guess, but it isnt normal for the light to be coming on. This has never happened before, and now it is doing it all the time. Any ideas as to why?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are your tires bald? Are you stopping close to the traction threshold? Did this start happening immediately after changing your brakes? Did you complete the bed-in procedure? Any more info would be helpful right now.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Banned

Well, it sounds like you are always entering ABS when stopping. If you are not getting an ABS Inop light during normal driving, then the problem becomes more difficult to diagnose. The inputs used for ABS are wheel speeds and brake light switch. Nothing stands out to me though. Can you describe a typical stop when it happens in a bit more detail? Also, what have you done to your car?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, Sorry, I will trya nd be a little more descriptive. The ABS Inop light along with the Low Trac light came on a couple of days ago and it was intermittent. I thought maybe I needed to change out the rotors and pads up front (They were starting to look pretty bad) so I changed them hoping that would solve my problem. Well, I went to drive it last night and the same thing happened with the low trac light. The ABS Inop light did not come one. Now....update. I drove to work this morning, and the ABS Inop light came back on and stayed on till I got to work. I also got the Low Trac light again when braking. So I am back to square one. If I can get a Tech II in my hands, is there something I can check with that scanner?

Nothing stands out to me though. Can you describe a typical stop when it happens in a bit more detail? Also, what have you done to your car?
Oh Also, nothing has been done (Mods) to my car in a long time, so I dont think there is anything like that messing up the vehicle. When I slow down, the ABS Inop light is on and the low trac comes on and my pedal starts to play a little.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Default Update!

Well, looky looky here.

It was basically leaning on the header. Somehow it melted the foil tape and the tubing, but didnt quite make it to the wires. Went for a test drive, viola, no more ABS INOP or LOW TRAC.

I am gonna monitor to make sure though. Thanks for your input guys.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Banned

Glad to hear you found the problem.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, thanks again. I feel dumb though, The first thing I "should have" done was look under the hood. Oh well, lesson learned, no damage done to the wallet either. (Thank goodness).

Quick Reply: Low Trac comes on...