Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Tq Arm cracked - replace with Aftermarket or another stock piece?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Tq Arm cracked - replace with Aftermarket or another stock piece?

Just discovered my torque arm is cracked. A shop had cut away a decent chunk of it I am assuming for exhaust clearance (which makes no sense if you see it b/c the exhuast would not be contacting it anyhow, but thats another story) and anyhow that compromised the structure enough for the rest of it to crack.

Should I just put another stock unit in or at this point since I have to replace it anyway should I get an aftermarket piece? I like a nice handling car, but I don't compete or anything and I don't want to put in a unit that will introduce more noise or anything, only if its enough of an improvement to warrant the price, without introducing a lot of noise. And if I should go with an aftermarket unit, which one?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-26-2005, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

It would be worth it to just upgrade and finish off the rest of the rear suspension.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Launching!

BMR makes a good replacement torque arm. I've had mine on for almost 20K miles and am extremely pleased. Much stronger than the stock piece, too.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 382WS6
BMR makes a good replacement torque arm. I've had mine on for almost 20K miles and am extremely pleased. Much stronger than the stock piece, too.

How much? Is there a significant weight difference between the two? Also, I am still trying to find out if these aftermarket pieces are noisier than the stock one
Old 03-27-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed polyurethane bushings on my 'stock' torque arm and it kicks *** - car feels more solid, feels faster. An aftermarket one would be a good choice, it should be a noticable differance. I would say just get a stock torque arm and put polyurethane bushing but the dealers price may be more then an aftermarket one will cost.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get the non adjustable Edelbrock TQ arm. I think it's like $175 shipped from summit. I ordered the adjustable one but am thinking it will have some noise because of the spherical ends.

Last edited by 2K2CamaroSS; 03-30-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

I'll check out the Edelbrock units and see what kind of bushings they use. What is the clearance like? Right now I have LT's and TSP Y-pipe but I might eventually go to true duals....
Old 03-30-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spherical ends on adjustable torque arms are there to allow for adjustment and do not move except when you're turning the adjusters. once everything is tigtened down, they dont move, and shouldn't make noise. Unless you plan on lots of hard launches, i personally feel that an adjustable T/A isnt worth it.

Quick Reply: Stock Tq Arm cracked - replace with Aftermarket or another stock piece?