Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No sway bar and handling like stock???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No sway bar and handling like stock???

I am considering QA1(HAL) shocks. If I were to get a strut tower brace and set the shocks to a hard setting, could I get the car to handle close to stock without the sway bar?
Thanks for any input.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not likley. The shock settings will probably be less than ideal for keeping the tires on the road so the car will "skate" over bumps. Meaning, a section of choppy pavement in the middle of a corner may be enough for you to basically "slide off of the road". (extreme case)

If GM could have engineered the car to work with no sway bar (and saved even $1.00 per car by not putting it on.....times hundreds of thousands of cars), don't you think they would have tried it?

You might get it to where you are content to drive it that way (you might not have a good reference to know if it is handling properly and if you don't autocross or run lapping days, you may be fine with it), but it really is not a good "band aid" (the shock settings).

If you are worried about weight. You might consider the 35mm hollow front bar from Sam Strano (stranoparts.com). It's very light. Hotchkiss makes one as well that is hollow, but I think the cost is considerably higher (I'd have to look again).

Last edited by trackbird; 04-07-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with my hals set on 8 and no front bar the car handles better than stock shocks with the bar
Old 04-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't want to be running like that for long periods of time. You can take it off for short stints if you need to, but it will be flopping around.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

My HAL's set at 8+ is a real harsh ride and the front end will push through the corners (want to go straight) if driven aggresively without the swaybar. The sway bar is there to help with body roll and works in conjunction with the suspension for better handling. Stiffening the shocks up is not a replacement but could help if you run with no sway bar like I do.

Dan
Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Banned

For a dedicated drag car that is a different story. Indeed sway bars help body lean and work in conjuction with shock absorbers. However, if you are building a drag car you have to know what you're in for. Simple running no sway bar on a non drag car for weight is not a wise decision.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Shocks are for damping, no matter how much they resist motion they aren't a spring. The stabilizer bar is a spring that works to control roll. If you are in a steady state corner the stabilizer bar will resist roll, the shocks will do nothing because they aren't moving.

Brian
Old 04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Shocks are for damping, no matter how much they resist motion they aren't a spring. The stabilizer bar is a spring that works to control roll. If you are in a steady state corner the stabilizer bar will resist roll, the shocks will do nothing because they aren't moving.

Brian
Exactly the Idea, "they arent moving" therefor less body roll, atleast on the QA1's in the rear set on 8+. I dont have front or rears swaybars and I have QA1's all the way around. On the other hand the car isnt setup for roundy round or huggin corners either, but its liveable, minumum body roll.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly the Idea, "they arent moving" therefor less body roll, atleast on the QA1's in the rear set on 8+. I dont have front or rears swaybars and I have QA1's all the way around.
The shocks will have ZERO impact on the total amount of roll a car will exhibit at a given speed around a given corner. The only thing they will affect is how fast or slow that car will roll over. Stiffen up the shocks will give the impression that you are getting less roll cause it will slow down the rate of roll, and FEEL better.

The car is going to roll Xº regardless what the shock is set to. At a soft setting, it will reach steady state (peak roll) far quicker, so the effect will be far more noticable inside the car.

Far too many people confuse better handling with better feeling. There's nothing wrong with wanting your car to feel better, just don't confuse the two.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
The shocks will have ZERO impact on the total amount of roll a car will exhibit at a given speed around a given corner. The only thing they will affect is how fast or slow that car will roll over. Stiffen up the shocks will give the impression that you are getting less roll cause it will slow down the rate of roll, and FEEL better.

The car is going to roll Xº regardless what the shock is set to. At a soft setting, it will reach steady state (peak roll) far quicker, so the effect will be far more noticable inside the car.

Far too many people confuse better handling with better feeling. There's nothing wrong with wanting your car to feel better, just don't confuse the two.
Exactly!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BRENTT94Z
Exactly the Idea, "they arent moving" therefor less body roll, atleast on the QA1's in the rear set on 8+. I dont have front or rears swaybars and I have QA1's all the way around. On the other hand the car isnt setup for roundy round or huggin corners either, but its liveable, minumum body roll.
Shocks do nothing if they aren't moving is my point. They are viscous dampers, not springs. Try removing your springs, you will probably have more body roll, because steady state they are the only thing keeping your car from rolling.

jRaskel and trackbird are correct.

Brian
Old 04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Banned

Exactly, I was not assuming an absorber would resist the roll *completely*, at least that is not what I meant to imply.

That's just it the springs are there for. Try the opposite, running no shocks with stiff springs, and the converse would be true there would be dampning balance problem during a corner or even level ground.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have no front sway bar and i havent for a month or so now.....i feel no difference in it unless like said before i go over a big bump...and the wheel turns it can be a little wobbly..but not bad at all

Quick Reply: No sway bar and handling like stock???