Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BANG from left rear under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:10 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BANG from left rear under acceleration

I'm pretty sure this is not my Y-pipe hitting the floorboard. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the left rear wheelwell. If I get on it hard from a roll or perform any kind of launch from a stop, I get a loud BANG from the left rear. It only makes the noise once and then is fine, so it's not like wheelhop. It's fine under normal driving, and it's fine if I get on it gradually. I also noticed on the interstate this weekend that it's beginning to make a whining sound in the same area at around 50 mph in 5th gear. No idea if the symptoms are related at all.

Help?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a broken Posi unit or Spider gear. I would first check the transmission mount...Its a block of black rubber that isolates noise/vibration ,its under the transmission. When mine broke it did the same thing...but so did the spider gears and the broken posi unit.

Last edited by tump; 04-28-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Teching In

If that isn't it check out your tranny mount...I broke 3 mounts in a row before I went to a polyurethane (sp?) mount....618 foot pounds of torque takes its toll.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

OK, I will check out my tranny mount and pray it's that and not the rear end.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:35 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

OK, I found the tranny mount, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Do I have to remove the mount from under the tranny to see if it's messed up or not? Also, will the 1LE mount fit my car, or will I have to go with either a polyurethane or OEM piece? I don't know if I can handle any more interior noise than I've already got, and it sounds like the poly is a bit louder.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Teching In

If the tranny mount is bad you will be able to see a crack in the rubber part of the bushing. Should be VERY visible. It is your choice to go with a stock or aftermarket piece if it is bad.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:46 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Still having the problem after I replaced the trans mount. It sounds a lot like throwing a rock out of the threads of the tire, and now it's doing it if I hit an especially large pothole on the left side. Godawful sound like something is coming through the damned wheelwell. Any other suggestions on what to look at or inspect?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have you checked to make sure all the suspension components are tight on the rear?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Launching!

The gear whine at 50 mph is the rear end going out. Mine is doing the same thing. I get a noise in 3rd at 20 and in 5th at 55. This is the result of having 315/35r17 BFG DR's and hammering on it alittle bit.

As far as your banging, my left rear emergency brake shoe has came loose from the backing plate. I get a rattle that comes and goes. Not nearly as severe as what you describe but maybe something to look at. Also like others have said maybe recheck the LCA bolts. Do you have stock LCA's and PHB? If so could be the rubber bushings are shot on one of those components. Just some thoughts.

Dave
Old 08-07-2005, 09:21 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I checked everything once to see if it was tight a while back, but I think I'm going to check it out again today. All the suspension components are stock...I'm thinking it's probably a bushing, but I couldn't tell anything the last time I looked.

I really haven't done too many hard launches with the car, and have never had drag radials, but sounds like maybe the rearend is starting to go. Guess I better start saving my pennies for that 12 bolt.

Quick Reply: BANG from left rear under acceleration