Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Doing My First Brake Job, Help???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Doing My First Brake Job, Help???

I'm doing my first brake job, all Im doing is turning the rotors and puting new pads on. I can rebuild the whole car but when it comes to brakes i've never touched. My questions are basically how do i take the rotors off, how do i remove and install new pads and is there any adjusting i need to do to system (brakes) for new pads. This is for the front only the rotors are pretty warped not real bad but enough to drive u crazy when u are stopping.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Buy a haynes manual at your local parts store while picking up the brake pads.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
I'm doing my first brake job, all Im doing is turning the rotors and puting new pads on. I can rebuild the whole car but when it comes to brakes i've never touched. My questions are basically how do i take the rotors off, how do i remove and install new pads and is there any adjusting i need to do to system (brakes) for new pads. This is for the front only the rotors are pretty warped not real bad but enough to drive u crazy when u are stopping.
Pretty much nothing to it. Take the wheel off and it will all be self expanitory. You pretty much just take the caliper and the bracket off and then the rotor will come off. You will need a C clamp or a caliper tool to push the pistons back in so you can slide them back over the pads, the tools are about $10 at any Autoparts stores. Basicly all you need is a 15mm wrench or socket, the C clamp or caliper tool, and I had to tap my calipers with a rubber hammer to get them off. I also like to use Squeel Medic made by Gunk, you spray it on the face of the pads and the rotors. Now is also a good time to paint your calipers and brackets if you'd like.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Teching In

It is that easy....I just didn't know if the LS-1 cars brakes changed formt the lt-1 cars....I would still buy the book because it will haev alot of useful info in there if you ever decide to rebuild the motor just anyting you have questions on.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Here is the general idea
Old 04-30-2005, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys now i know how to do everything thanx a mil , now lets go eat some more ponies im hungry!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
Here is a direct link to the install doc:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm
Old 04-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Teching In

When doing the brakes, how do you remove some of the brake fluid from the reservoir?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Teching In

You should never have to add any brake fulid or take any away. Your brake reservoir goes down because it is getting pumped out into the calipers, when you push the caliper pistons back in that will fill up the reservior again. If you have happened to add brake fluid because you thought it was low then you can just loosen a bleeder screw on any of the calipers. This will be a two man operation. One will have to push down the brake, then the other will open the bleeder screw, while keeping the pedal down the person will close the bleeder screw and then you can let up on the pedal. Not doing this will cause air to get into the brake lines.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mrt5677
When doing the brakes, how do you remove some of the brake fluid from the reservoir?
As stated above, you don't have to remove any fluid to swap pads/rotors. Just take off the cap, wrap a shop rag around the reservoir (in case some does spill out, which is unlikely if its filled to or slightly below the MAX level), and then compress the pistons with a C-clamp or two. When you're finished make sure to tighten the cap, start the car, and press the pedal to the floor a few times until it hardens back up.

Quick Reply: Doing My First Brake Job, Help???