Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

handling/lowering

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default handling/lowering

going tomorrow to look at (and hopefully pick up) a 99 z28. it has 1.5 in eibach drop springs.

are these springs a good thing for handling and apperance or are they a bandaid? do they make coilovers for f bodies? what does a complete handling kit include, like from hotchkis?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Yes they make coil overs for FBODS. Eibach get mixed reviews I've seen some with the kit and looks real good. as far a handling It pretty rough unless you get revalved shocks.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

as far a handling It pretty rough unless you get revalved shocks.
I have eibach springs and yes the ride is rough. I'm looking to get revalved shocks my self,but the handling and apperance is great over the stock springs.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
going tomorrow to look at (and hopefully pick up) a 99 z28. it has 1.5 in eibach drop springs.

are these springs a good thing for handling and apperance or are they a bandaid? do they make coilovers for f bodies? what does a complete handling kit include, like from hotchkis?
If they are they Eibach Sportlines, they are very low and soft and should be avoided. If they are the Eibach Prokit, they are not as low and are stiffer, so they are better. If they still have the factory orange shocks, expect a bad ride. They should be replaced.

I would avoid those complete handling kits as they are not perfect or cheap. Just get the parts you need.

Ground Control makes a coilover conversion for the front for $225. They let you pick your spring rate and then you can adjust the ride height to whatever you want. They are just great. They make a kit for the rear but you can usually adjust the rear height without spending $200 for the GC parts.

You just need to look around here some to get more info.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-19-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
If they are they Eibach Sportlines, they are very low and soft and should be avoided. If they are the Eibach Prokit, they are not as low and are stiffer, so they are better. If they still have the factory orange shocks, expect a bad ride. They should be replaced.

I would avoid those complete handling kits as they are not perfect or cheap. Just get the parts you need.

Groung Control makes a coilover conversion for the front for $225. They let you pick your spring rate and then you can adjust the ride height to whatever you want. They are just great. They make a kit for the rear but you can usually adjust the rear height without spending $200 for the GC parts.

You just need to look around here some to get more info.
225 for both front pieces? that sounds about how much i would be spending on shocks alone, i guess going coil overs isnt that pricey afterall.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, it's not bad at all. $225 gets you both adjusting sleeves, collars and whatever springs you want in 50lb increments. They are universal race springs from Eibach and they are linear rate as well as powdercoated. 500, 550 and 600 are the most common rates.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A/f7271ff1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A/5a76fbce.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A/4ea7fb32.jpg

You have to get your own shocks, though. It's really the best way to go up front as every 1/4" ride height adjustment can be felt. I recommend them.

In the back they are not neccesary, you can adjust the rear ride height in several clever ways for little to no money.

So I guess that red Z28 is the one you bought?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

hey jasonWW where can i get a kit like that?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

You COULD call up Ground Control, but they are a bunch of asses and will sell you what they think is a good spring rate. Avoid those guys, Call up Sam Strano Jr. and have him order them. He's a sponsor and can help you decide what spring rates would be best for your particular needs.

The GC guys can take several weeks to get off their *** to actually make and send it, but it is worth it. Let Sam deal with those guys.

The GC guys are also bad about forgetting the adjustment wrench and the thrust bearings. If you order them have Sam make a special note so they won't forget.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Actually I have my own front sleeve kit for Bilstein's. It's $229 including the front springs, sleeves, adjustment tool, adapter hat (for the smaller spring to work on the stock upper mount). Note that these are front only. For the 4 corner kit or Koni's we still use GC's.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-20-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really? What can you tell us about it?
Do you have any pics or a thread where you mention more details? I'm curious.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Nothing more to tell than what I already mentioned. The sleeves slip over a Bilstein, use 2.5" race springs. I sell it all as a kit. Pretty much looks like the GC kit, but black sleeves instead of red.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are they aluminum sleeves?
Do the collars lock like the GC ones?
Do they use Eibach universal race springs?
Do you make the sleeve and hat yourself or made by another company?
Why only for the Bilsteins?
Any pics?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, it's not bad at all. $225 gets you both adjusting sleeves, collars and whatever springs you want in 50lb increments. They are universal race springs from Eibach and they are linear rate as well as powdercoated. 500, 550 and 600 are the most common rates.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A/f7271ff1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A/5a76fbce.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A/4ea7fb32.jpg

You have to get your own shocks, though. It's really the best way to go up front as every 1/4" ride height adjustment can be felt. I recommend them.

In the back they are not neccesary, you can adjust the rear ride height in several clever ways for little to no money.

So I guess that red Z28 is the one you bought?

yea i bought it
Old 06-20-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Nothing more to tell than what I already mentioned. The sleeves slip over a Bilstein, use 2.5" race springs. I sell it all as a kit. Pretty much looks like the GC kit, but black sleeves instead of red.
do u sell a gc kit with shocks? im looking for a complete kit. nothing crazy, just for a daily driver.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sam sells it all, you just need to call him up so you figure out what suits you, your driving style and what you plan to do with the car.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Are they aluminum sleeves?
Do the collars lock like the GC ones?
Do they use Eibach universal race springs?
Do you make the sleeve and hat yourself or made by another company?
Why only for the Bilsteins?
Any pics?
Aluminum sleeves.
Collars use a nylon-tipped set screw from the side.
They use 2.5" race springs (Eibach, Hypercoil, Suspension Spring).
I don't make the parts, most of them are actually Koni parts.
Only for the Bilstein's because the Koni's require a special hat that I don't have access too.

Quick Reply: handling/lowering