Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeeky brakes are driving me nut!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Squeeky brakes are driving me nut!!!

I just had the fronts replaced about 2-3 weeks ago and they are squeeking like crazy, usually at lower speeds coming up on a redlight. They are not anything special just regualr old brake pads and rotors and the anti squeek grease was used on them and they still do it. WTF!!!! Anything I can do??? This is making me crazy.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just making sure of some things:
Did you put the grease on the metal side? Im not calling you an idoit, its just sometimes peolpe forget that its not supposed to put it on the pad and comeback to my store pissed off.
Do you live out in the boondocks? a brand new car will start squeaking if dust and sand gets built up behind the pad between the rotor and the metal backing(thats what teh grease protects against)
Besides that, im not sure- maybe some loose shimsor placement? allowing air/objects to get in? best bet is to take the wheel off, check em and maybe clean it with brake cleaner and try again.

-phoenixta99
-youre local autozone rep
Old 06-12-2005, 03:33 AM
Staging Lane

Also: if you had a shop do it, they get the shittiest pads and dont do anythign unless you request it. So make sure if u had them installed that they didnt screw you or put them on wrong.

-phoenixta99
Old 06-13-2005, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the response!! I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to give me any ideas. To answer your questions I do not live in the boondocks, I live in Memphis, TN which is a fairly large city and dont drive anywhere near any dirt roads or anything. The shop that did it wa a friend of mines sop so I sat with him and watched him do all of it and he did everything correct and put the grease on the proper side, no offense taken on that. I just dont get why they are so damn noisey when everything was done exactly as it should have been. I guess my only option is to pull the wheels and redo everything.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

better pads, more anti-squeal greese, make sure the anti-squeal clip is there and installed properly, make sure the caliper bolts are torqued correctly.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Are these cheap aftermarket pads? The factory pads are the best for no dusting and squeaking, but are pretty spendy.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Prolly either the slide of the calipers not greased well enough or the anti-rattle clips not installed correctly. only that would make them squeel this soon. Is the problem consistent??
Old 06-14-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Try some ceramic pads, no dust and no squeak.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

I found that bedding the anti-squeel clips with the flexible blue (or orange) anti-squeel liquid solved the problem for me. My problem was a low speed squeel exactly like what you described.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Mine squeeked right after i got them put in too. I guess i have the same problem.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Ceramic pads aer a erally great pad- virtually dust free adn no squeak; but they only last about 40% comapred to a regular carbon-metallic pad. Can get them at a locla parts stor for about $40.00 and with a 2 year warranty: so just bring em back before the waranty wears out! (about to do the same thing when my time comes)

-phoenixta99
Old 06-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Launching!

how did you brake them in. Have ever looked at the method of break in that gm recommends for our pads? Like 15 heat cycles or something like that of consistent stops from 60 mph! Try scoring your rotors, just use a screwdriver and put like 2 or 3 gouges in them. This will take some pad, maybe the glazed portion of the pad off. We do this at the dealership I work for and it seems to always help. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

My experience with ceramic pads is similar, where they are really cracked and crapped up in very little use. I don't like them.

For regular carbon pads, "bedding" the pads is helpful to cross link the carbon and cure the adhesives by heating them up. Stage 1 = about 5 to 8 very hard stops from 40 mph to zero and then let them cool off for about an hour. Then stage 2 = about 5 to 8 stops from 60 or 80 mph to zero, and basically drive/brake them until you can smell the glue or see red sparks so that they are hot. You can see the red hot at easily at night when you are cooking them up. Use a deserted road. At night. This can attract attention.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

My brakes squeal also, even when I'm not braking. I've already had the caliper guides off, cleaned, and relubed with synthetic guide grease. Still does it. I had my front end raised today, and it was difficult to turn both wheels by hand - as if the calipers aren't completely releasing. The brake pedal is pretty firm and has very little travel

But it's not like the pads are smoking while driving around - did that before when I put on new pads and the caliper guide was seized.

Quick Reply: Squeeky brakes are driving me nut!!!