Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Front Shock Spacers, Safe and OK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMR Front Shock Spacers, Safe and OK?

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

Part No. SA002, 1/2" thick spacer that can be double stacked for 1" of extra height in the front.

Are these safe to use single stacked? Double stacked? Would it throw the suspension geometry off? My other concern is that when the upper a-arm is unhooked where the spindle can swing forward, and the sway bar endlink is also unhooked, its already hard enough to get the shock in and on the mark, with 1" of spacers I think it would be impossible. What would I have to do to get those spacers in there?

Currently have the Pro Kit up front with Bilstein HD shocks. I desperately need 1" more clearance up front, and this might be a better option than selling all my stuff, putting the stock stuff back on, saving a little, then doing Koni SAs up front with the stock springs and having to do twice the work. I may eventually do that, but I need more clearance right now, and these spacers could work.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you get a set of HAL coil-over adjustable and then you can have any height you want on the front. Costs a little more, but you will like it much better
Old 06-18-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Are these safe to use single stacked? Double stacked? Would it throw the suspension geometry off?
I don't know anyone who has used them, but I assume they are safe. They are just spacers.
They are only going to effect the ride height. The suspension geometry is going to change any time the ride height changes, so you will need an alignment after you raise the front.

Originally Posted by josh99ta
My other concern is that when the upper a-arm is unhooked where the spindle can swing forward, and the sway bar endlink is also unhooked, its already hard enough to get the shock in and on the mark, with 1" of spacers I think it would be impossible. What would I have to do to get those spacers in there?
First, remember that the spacers are not one inch tall. The front suspension has a motion ratio of 1.7 to 1. That means that for every inch of travel in the shock/spring equals 1.7" travel in the wheel. So two 1/4" spacers stacked one atop the other should make the front height go up about 7/8".

This is an old question as I'm just looking through. Ignore if you want.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:32 AM

Good info to know nonetheless, especially the 1.7:1 number. Thanks Jason.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

do you think those could be used in the back? I need to raise the back end up just a little to level it out with the front.

Also I plan on putting these on the passanger side to level it out side to side

Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 PM

Thats what JasonWW recommends, and I can see how they would work and even be beneficial. Another option if you dont want to alter the spring itself is to get some shims from pitstopusa.com to raise it a little bit. I'll be using those to raise the passenger's side slightly as it sits a little lower on that side as some of these cars do.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

You know thats not a bad idea at all. I'll have to go look. I was thinking of having my friend make a spacer like you are talking about at his machine shop but I bet I can get them for cheaper from there
Old 07-13-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
do you think those could be used in the back? I need to raise the back end up just a little to level it out with the front.
They work fine. I've got 8 of them in my rear springs for over a year now. No problems.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jason you have 8 of the rubber spacers or the round spring shims from pitstop?

I'm looking into getting some of the shims. I just need to get some hard numbers on how much the passanger side is off. Sometimes its 3/4" and sometimes its less than 1/4" I still can't figure out why... the ground was level at both places but at one I had just pulled into the parking space and at the other place I had driven straight in and checked before parking... Maybe that has something to do with it
Old 07-26-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm using these in my rear springs.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I almost picked up a set today but I really don't want to change the spring rate on just that one side... would it make that much differance that I could tell?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

If there is a big difference in the ride height, try rotating one of the rear springs 180*. Normally the pigtails at the bottom will be pointing to the drivers side. If you rotate the low side spring so that the pigtail is pointed to the passenger side, it will raise that side a little. If you are still using the stock isolators, you can do the hose mod on the side you want to lower or if you are not using the isolators, you can add one to the low side. None of those will effect spring rate.

Finally, a 10-15lb difference shouldn't be noticable to you if you need to use the metal or rubber spacers.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll try rotating the spring 1st.. like I said at times its 3/4" lower so I think thats a lot. I need to get some good measurments before anything else though. I'll do that tomorrow in the parking lot at work.

I'm glad I asked because I never thought about rotating the spring. I never paid attention to how the pigtail is sitting.. I wonder if that might be part of the problem.

Quick Reply: BMR Front Shock Spacers, Safe and OK?