Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS INOP codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS INOP codes

I've had my ABS INOP light on ever since my car got dynoed and I put up a post here and you guys said to go get it scanned. Well I got the codes C0055 (rear wheel speed sensor circuit malfunction) and C0056 (rear wheel speed sensor circuit Rng/Performance) I have no clue what these codes mean or how to fix them. I am guessing replacing the rear wheel sensors will do the trick? What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

I have the same problem on my 99 SS. It is a rare occasion that it does come on, let alone stay on for long. Someone said to check the air pressure, and i did (they were 8 psi low from sitting.. I havent seen it since. If i see it again, I will hook my Tech 2000 up and see whats going on
Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Ive aired my tires up and down, for the track, so I don't think its at that, I keep them at 32 psi for street driving, 20-22 for the track. I am going to try and replace the rear speed sensors, are there two, left rear and right rear? I guess I should replace both? The scan tool only said rear wheel, not which side so I don't know? This is a pain!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Come on, someone has to be able to help me out here! Does the fbody have one or two rear speed sensors? I would think two, but by the code that I pulled, it seems not? Does is seem like the fix would be to replace the speed sensors? I think thats what I am going to do.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red91vette
Come on, someone has to be able to help me out here! Does the fbody have one or two rear speed sensors? I would think two, but by the code that I pulled, it seems not? Does is seem like the fix would be to replace the speed sensors? I think thats what I am going to do.
It depends on whether you have traction control or not. I am assuming you don't, and in that case there is only one sensor. It would be located on the rear diff housing. If you do have tcs then there are 2 sensors. They would obviously be on either wheel, you would see a set of wires coming out from behind the backing plate on either side.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thats good news, I don't have traction control. So I will get one new sensor and clear the code and hopefully that solves the problem. I was told that dynoing the car could break the sensor, having the rear wheels go over 100mph while the front wheels are motionless. We'll see if it works, thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would try clearing the code and see if it comes back. I didn't see that you cleared the code yet. The system may just have gotten really confused and tripped the code. I see no reason it could actually damage the sensor.

Brian
Old 06-29-2005, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Mine did the same thing. I dynoed the car and it said ABS INOP. I took it to Midas... told them that i was throwing a Brake code, they looked at it said everything was ok.. reset the code and it didnt come back on... didn't cost a thing.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6VERT
Mine did the same thing. I dynoed the car and it said ABS INOP. I took it to Midas... told them that i was throwing a Brake code, they looked at it said everything was ok.. reset the code and it didnt come back on... didn't cost a thing.
I think I might give it a try, mine has been on for well over a year now and durring my "spirited driving, I end up locking up the rears every now and then. And thats cheaper than paying ~65bux for a sensor.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Mine did the same thing, I just turned the key on and off several time and that seemed to take care of it...Also check the wiring harness at the back of the car it may have been damaged or even unpluged from when they straped the car down. I've done that when I trailered my car.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

I already cleared the code, it came right back on unfortunately. Does anyone have the part number for the rear speed sensor with no traction control? My brother just ordered me one from his shop, at cost price it was $60 bucks, does that sound right? Hopefully this fixes it, I'll see today, thanks guys for all your help.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Any resolution to this? Kind of having the same problem, but I've got ABS INOP, BRAKE and SERVICE VEHICLE all on at the same time, just came on tonight...
Old 08-19-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had this light on with the 12-bolt, reluctor rings are there, speed sensors are there, abs wiring harness is plugged in. I'm going to light the car on fire.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP codes