Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installing torque arm and trans brace, whats the best way to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default installing torque arm and trans brace, whats the best way to do it?

bmr says to put the rear on jack stands but i know once that tq arm comes off the rear will shift and the torque arm will shoot up, wont that make it move on the stands??

i was thinking about jacking the rear up onto the frames and blocking the front tires, i dont want the car to have any chance to fall while im under it, what do you guys do??
Old 06-30-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

any other time i have messed with it while the car was on a lift or i was in a pit where i used to work, i just wanna play this safe
Old 06-30-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd just do it the way bmr says, although i just took of mine to sell to a friend with the frame on stands and a jack under the rear, took maybe 15 mins to pull it off, no biggie. are you using the trans mounted or the tunnel shaft mounted? oh and loosened the rear bolts, took off the front bolt and then took out the rear bolts.. hth
Old 06-30-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive got the new trans brace that has the tq arm mount on it.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

to the top, ive got an idea about it but i dont wanna spend the whoel weekend trying to get the car set up just right lol
Old 07-01-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did mine last weekend. I backed my car up on ramps, blocked the front tires then lifted the rear end with a jack then put jack stands under the rear frame rails then removed the ramps. You have to then lower the rear axle and remove the lower shock bolts and push them out from the axle. Once this is done you can lower your rear end enough to remove the rear springs. You'll want to do this cause when removing the TA, the springs want to push the nose of the rear axle up.

When removing the trans mount, support the tranny with a hydraulic jack and remove the mount. Be careful, there is a wire loop pressed into the crossmember and you can damage it if not careful. Other than that, everything is pretty easy, just take your time.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok thanks, i just hate setting it up on jacks and then realizing it wont work that way. ive had all that stuff off at one point in time but that was at a garage i used to work at
Old 07-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

what did u torque the bolts to that hold the torque arm in place. did u tighten the top one alll the way and have the bottom sung

Quick Reply: installing torque arm and trans brace, whats the best way to do it?