Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

who has aftermarket brakes? BAER/Brembo/willwood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Ok, so quick question. What's the difference between a traditional lug mount and a radial mount caliper? Looking @ wilwood's site, I can't figure it out.

Pull up the "line drawings" of the calipers, you'll see it then. The lug mount have "tabs" that bolt to the back of a spindle (in most cases). Radial mount will slide onto two bolts that stick out of a bracket parallel with the rotor (like the Porsche calipers shown in that installation link).
Old 07-15-2005, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane

With the advent of FEA, a requirement for a mono-block caliper just went to the south. The calipers of new, are stronger and stiffer than most of the latest mono-blocks.... for half their respective price.
I agree, and not to bandwagon a brand, here's another confirmation of fact from stoptech:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/monobloc3.htm
Old 07-15-2005, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steve-d
The are Standard OE calipers for the 996TT street car and have dust boots at the pistons. This minimizes the need to replace piston seals as is common w/Wilwood and StopTech calipers that don't have 'em. The lack of dust boots allows dirt and grit and brake pad dust to wear the piston, seal and bore to a greater degree vs calipers w/protective boots.
I think you have a wonderful product to sell steve, no doubt. If I had to do it all over again, I would heavily be in favour of your brake kit, however in your above statement I have to point out a slight error as I not only have the document to prove, but the kit as well.

http://www.stoptech.com/docs/ST-40%20Datasheet.pdf

Once again, not to bandwagon or start a thread flame war, but if you read the introductory statement and disregard the endorsement afterwards, you'll see that the ST-40 has dust seals as a standard item. On my 99 Camaro, I have had practically no noise that would differentiate this brake kit from the OEM design.

As far as Stoptech claiming the ST-40 being the strongest caliper on the market, that might be up for debate, but nevertheless, they have conducted lots of research as well.

I will mention that a factor I like about your kit is that they will fit the OEM 17x9" SS ZR-1 style wheels with no spacer needed, unlike the ST-40 which requires a 5/16" spacer.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Hello Foxxton,

You are 100% correct. The StopTech ST 40 calipers do come w/dust seals. They are made in the ST plant in Calif. Good ol USA. Good for them. They very well may get the casting elsewhere, but the detailed fabrication work is carried on here.

They look good and I'm sure from their including the calipers to the variety of packages they sell it is probably is very reliable and strong.

Good pick up. IAE, I believe the Wilwood's still don't have the dust shields.

Regards
Steve

Originally Posted by Foxxton
.... you'll see that the ST-40 has dust seals as a standard item.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

IAE, I believe the Wilwood's still don't have the dust shields.

Mine don't have seals.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Re the seals,

Look guys, the only reason I bring up this "small" detail is to make those interested in such an upgrade aware of the difference in calipers. Pure race calipers DON"T have seals. They just don't. There's no need as they'd be rebuilt or thrown away before the piston seal would ever wear to the point of leaking b/o dirt and abraision.

But for the guy looking for a brake upgrade for the street/track machine, its important. I'm an enthusiast. If ST has a good product get it. If Wilwood fits your needs get it. Just be aware of the fact that driving w/o dust seals is a rebuild waiting to happen in a couple of years depending on your use.

Your worthy servant

Steve
Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
If you got your kit, complete, you were one of the lucky ones.

Michael left a wake of cashed checks and unfilled orders.
I got everything exept the brake pads, but I have an extra set of ARP wheel studs.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Re the seals,

Look guys, the only reason I bring up this "small" detail is to make those interested in such an upgrade aware of the difference in calipers. Pure race calipers DON"T have seals. They just don't. There's no need as they'd be rebuilt or thrown away before the piston seal would ever wear to the point of leaking b/o dirt and abraision.

But for the guy looking for a brake upgrade for the street/track machine, its important. I'm an enthusiast. If ST has a good product get it. If Wilwood fits your needs get it. Just be aware of the fact that driving w/o dust seals is a rebuild waiting to happen in a couple of years depending on your use.

Your worthy servant

Steve
And, as I said, the race calipers are not designed with "quiet" as a goal. For real race cars, nobody cares about noise. So, they can be (and mine are) quite loud at times. Between the dust seals (or lack of) causing a potential for a rebuild and the noise, race calipers have a pretty heavy trade off for street use.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

ordered the C5 kit with the Red CORVETTE calipers and holy crap are they FING beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

words cant describe how good the red z06 calipers look......

i have everything now except the mounting bracket i ordered and the Bear eredispeed 2 piece rotors!

god damm are these hot!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

ANyone get thier speedspecialty "bob bishop" brackets yet?

Its been about 2 months now....I thoght they went in to production a month ago....
Old 08-09-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAwananbe
ANyone get thier speedspecialty "bob bishop" brackets yet?

Its been about 2 months now....I thoght they went in to production a month ago....
I replied to your other thread.

Regarding the Z06 brakes... if you think those are pretty, you should hold some of the big Porsche calipers and custom floating rotors in your hands. It almost brought tears to my eyes.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

If the funds were there i would......

This kit fit my budget perfectly.....

BTW, just bought the car and already dropped around 4k in 2months in parts.....
Old 08-09-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

So how much did new z06 calipers end up costing you?
And rotors?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ooooo back from the dead....lol good read here, i'll deff be goin with the porsche kit....(since i worship Porsche's!! lol)
Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
ooooo back from the dead....lol good read here, i'll deff be goin with the porsche kit....(since i worship Porsche's!! lol)
You'll enjoy working with Steve (I did on the project I was involved with) and it's an excellent kit.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

he makes them when you order of how is that? it'll be a little time before i can offord it,... i dont want to have money finally and find out that it was a limited run! lol
Old 12-16-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

he makes them when you order of how is that? it'll be a little time before i can offord it,... i dont want to have money finally and find out that it was a limited run! lol

The Prostop kit? I'm very sure he has them in stock as we speak.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

200 for calipers
400 bear rotors
250 adapter brackets
125 SS braided hoses.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Launching!

In stock.

ProstopPerformance.com

Let me know
Steve
Old 12-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Launching!

My impression are go with the Wilwood SL6 from LGM for 17" wheels. You can run NAPA rotor for 25 ea if they are the same as a C5. I switched to Stoptech Two piece rotors with slots and they felt great. They have better vanes. I have no long term test but know some that got great mileage form them. I crack the NAPAS in 2 days.

I have no boots on anything I drive on the street they just burn up on my Excursion, C4 Grand Sport, or my Dodge Dooley. They are a waste and the brake piston does slide in and out like a sawzall and suck dirt in anyway.

Wilwood SL6 from LGM has some nice thick pads .80" and you can buy mica heat shields cheap, SS shims or aluminum shims cheap also to keep the pistons in the bore as the pads wear. Common pad #7420 shape which a ton of manufacutures make pads for. They work great and I get my rotors glowing red at the track. The caliper get so hot the black caliper are now copper color as the anodizing changed color. So if you are budget minded they are great.

Second option is Stoptech for LGM which are great but more money and 18" wheels required.

If you have the coin the AP setup is great also. Just a matter of money.

If you are using any other brake fluid than Castrol SRF you are wasting your money even though it cost more. I ran 1000 HARD track miles before a bleeding them. I should have went 999 because I was coming up on Devils turn at Pocono and decide the cones were my better option. 1000 miles of glowing rotors is a lot to ask of a fluid.

Buy products off people who make race cars and run them like LGM.

Boots are
They were BLACK they take a lickin but keep on tick'in LGM Wilwoods
I didn't even remeber the caliper were black until I called LG to match the color and he told me what happen

Last edited by Speedpup; 12-19-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: who has aftermarket brakes? BAER/Brembo/willwood?