Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

who has aftermarket brakes? BAER/Brembo/willwood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has aftermarket brakes? BAER/Brembo/willwood?

Im looking into the 6 piston set up by Baer and wanted to hear some reaction post by people actually with them.

Actually, If you have an aftermarket brakes system give me a quick note on performance.

john
Old 07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a reasonably priced big brake kit

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=4714&

Give Steve a call .. tell him mitch sent you ...

This guy has taken off the shelf Porsche parts from a 996TT car, made a mounting adaptor to use on 98+ F-Cars.

I had these brakes on my street car for a long time and they freaking work great.

And because it's off the shelf OEM parts, they are rugged and easy to find.

Sometimes, you HAVE to buy rotors and pads from the brake vendor. That can be quite pricey.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Any pics?

I think im leaning towards Baers cause they are about 600 cheaper for the 6 piston caliper and Hat rotors......

Anybody got Baers now?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Here is a reasonably priced big brake kit

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=4714&

Give Steve a call .. tell him mitch sent you ...

This guy has taken off the shelf Porsche parts from a 996TT car, made a mounting adaptor to use on 98+ F-Cars.

I had these brakes on my street car for a long time and they freaking work great.

And because it's off the shelf OEM parts, they are rugged and easy to find.

Sometimes, you HAVE to buy rotors and pads from the brake vendor. That can be quite pricey.

wow very interested. any pics?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAwananbe
Any pics?

I think im leaning towards Baers cause they are about 600 cheaper for the 6 piston caliper and Hat rotors......

Anybody got Baers now?
I have an older Baer kit with Alcon calipers. Baer recently discontinued use of Alcon calipers, mainly due to cost. They started manufacturing their own six-piston caliper from scratch. This was pretty recent, so I doubt there are very many kits out there already. But if they perform like the Alcon systems do, then I would definitely recommend them, especially for the price. Their new brake systems are over $1000 cheaper than the Alcon 6-piston. You will have to buy their replacement rotors, though. Service life depends on your pad choice. I've been using SBS Pro-Touring street pads and Hawk Blue track pads and I haven't even come close to wearing out the rotors. I installed it about a year ago, and I've gone about 11,000 miles and went through 2 sets of pads.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Hi,

I'm Pro-Speed Performance, LLC. I hope I don't PO the mods too much and I beg for their forgiveness in advance. I have the 996TT kit for the FBod. Gen 3 and 4. I use the Porsche monobloc 4piston Brembo calipers, OE Porsche disks and braided hose. Of course it comes w/all the mounting hardware.

I use it on my '02 TA and track the car extensively as I instruct at Summit Point, WV. Bottom line--they work.

Email me for further Q's or call 443 801 2533

Regards
Steve
Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much? Any pictures?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve-d
Hi,

I'm Pro-Speed Performance, LLC. I hope I don't PO the mods too much and I beg for their forgiveness in advance. I have the 996TT kit for the FBod. Gen 3 and 4. I use the Porsche monobloc 4piston Brembo calipers, OE Porsche disks and braided hose. Of course it comes w/all the mounting hardware.

I use it on my '02 TA and track the car extensively as I instruct at Summit Point, WV. Bottom line--they work.

Email me for further Q's or call 443 801 2533

Regards
Steve
I will echo what Steve has posted ...

These brakes are fantastic.

I went thousands and thousands of miles on tracks around Texas on a single pair of rotors and 2 sets of brake pads. When I sold the brakes, the rotors showed little signs of wear and no wapring.

And the pads were not done, either. I could out brake M3s, Miatas and Porsche 911s. Those drivers would just look over at me in utter amazement ...
Old 07-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Default Pro-Stop Performance Big Brake kit

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
How much? Any pictures?
Here is the install story:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/trackbir...ke_install.htm

Here is the long story on the kit:
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?a...13&t=3837&hl=&

Price should be close as it was posted over four months ago.

Any Q's please email me vs board traffic. bicycle55 [at] suscom.net

Regards
steve

Last edited by steve-d; 07-12-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

WEll, baer just told me I can have the 6 pistons for 2399

Id rather it say Baer then Porsche....looks kinda silly to me...

Id think the 6 pistons are better then 4 too.....

Thanks guys...
Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Please do not swear by brand name alone. If you are really concerned about brand name, then why not go for Brembo or Stoptech, especially since they are both track proven.

Also make sure that the brake system for the vehicle is properly compatible with the braking system as there is practically no worse experience than having an out of balance brake system.

I personally have the stoptech kit for my 1999 Z28 and while I haven't got a chance to run them on a track, they out brake most other high-performance vehicles stock brakes.

You might want to investigate the prostop kit even more, since several experienced road racers in this thread can vouch for its quality.

Last edited by Foxxton; 07-12-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

well I was just checking thing out and I dont think that the 6 piston design will fit under or 17in GM wheels.........

I dont think I want the Baer GT edition either for around 1000

So, I guess Ill keep on investivgating this......
Old 07-12-2005, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess someone forgot to tell you that your gona need 18's to run 6 pistons. To me the price v.s performance with a 4 to 6 piston caliper dosent justify itself. If steve has any kits still laying around when I get ready to upgrade then he will get my money, if not then its gona be stoptech, thoes are the two best bang for buck and proven F-body brakes, and they fit under stock WS6 wheels too.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

You make some excellent points. Good job.

And for what it's worth, "BREMBO" was cast into the calipers I had. Porsche was just a decal.

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Please do not swear by brand name alone. If you are really concerned about brand name, then why not go for Brembo or Stoptech, especially since they are both track proven.

Also make sure that the brake system for the vehicle is properly compatible with the braking system as there is practically no worse experience than having an out of balance brake system.

I personally have the stoptech kit for my 1999 Z28 and while I haven't got a chance to run them on a track, they out brake most other high-performance vehicles stock brakes.

You might want to investigate the prostop kit even more, since several experienced road racers in this thread can vouch for its quality.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Hi,

The four piston calipers used in the Pro-Stop Performance kit are indeed
Brembo 4 piston monobloc calipers. They are painted red w/Porsche decals. Brembo is cast into the caliper.

The are Standard OE calipers for the 996TT street car and have dust boots at the pistons. This minimizes the need to replace piston seals as is common w/Wilwood and StopTech calipers that don't have 'em. The lack of dust boots allows dirt and grit and brake pad dust to wear the piston, seal and bore to a greater degree vs calipers w/protective boots.

The Pro-Stop Brembo calipers are one piece vs the Stop Tech, Wilwood and other calipers which are made of two halves and bolted together. The reasoning behind Brembo's decision to make a one piece caliper carved from billet Alum was to avoid as much flex as possible. With bolts holding the two pieces of the caliper together, there is some inherent flex.

I really don't know anything about the new Baer 6 piston kit. But I would be almost certain it would require 18 inch wheels. A "hidden" cost of such a brake upgrade. Pro-Stop's system will fit under standard 17 inch wheels.

Regards
Steve
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

can you get these pro stops with out the PORSCHE writting on em?

Just plain or with the brembo id prefer....any PICS?

You say its a decal? Is it removable or is it cast into the caliper?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

hopefully that decal isn't powdercoated on there, otherwise it will be kind of painful to remove.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steve-d

I really don't know anything about the new Baer 6 piston kit. But I would be almost certain it would require 18 inch wheels. A "hidden" cost of such a brake upgrade. Pro-Stop's system will fit under standard 17 inch wheels.

Regards
Steve
Not to detract from this thread's original purpose, but I wonder why have two versions of nearly identical caliper design?

Maybe it's just me, but after perusing the Baer website, why only consider the Baer 6R race calipers to be "Race Only", when the purpose is to ease use of swapping pads quickly? I see that with the one piece street, it might be slighty cheaper to manufacture, however they mention that the 6R's are of equal or greater stiffness, so if I were to supposedly to opt for the street version, then I'd get stuck with more labour to change pads.

Sorry to digress, but it's just something that I notice. There might be those looking into this kit who already have mounted or plan to mount 18" wheels.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, the race version you can swap pads pretty fast.

Tehn again even thier other floating designs you can change really quick compared to OE BRAKES on all cars.

I guess it comes down to what you want to pay....
Old 07-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Hi,

The "Porsche" lettering is a decal on the caliper. Don't know anyone who's removed it or sanded and repainted. Not really an issue for me.

Steve

Originally Posted by Foxxton
hopefully that decal isn't powdercoated on there, otherwise it will be kind of painful to remove.

Quick Reply: who has aftermarket brakes? BAER/Brembo/willwood?