Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Support for Torque Arm Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Support for Torque Arm Bushing Install

What is the best way to support my car when I go to change out the torque arm bushing? I will be installing poly torque arm and tranny mount bushings today. I was going to use ramps on the rear and use jack stands under the front frame. I know I can kill alot of time getting the car to sit right, so I'd like to do it right the 1st time. I'm worried if I support the car wrong, I might have a hard time bolting the torque arm back on or something. What have you guys done?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always just jacked the front up and left the rear on the ground with the E-brake on.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the response. I drove the front tires up on a ramp and clearance seems kind of tight. Does anyone know if I can put jackstands under the frame in the back and let the rear end hang without making it hard to take the torque arm on/off?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive done it with front on ramps, back on jacks with suspension drooping. I've done it with the back on ramps and the front on jacks and I've done it with just the back on ramps. Anyway will work, I've found that I had to wressle the torque arm less when i have the back on ramps. the torque arm just kina hangs there in its neutral position when the back is on ramps. BTW, just a warning, you may be taking that poly mount off shortly after you try it out.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did it for about the 4th time today

just jack stands in back and jack under pumpkin, to make it easier, what i did was remove the center console, and pull the carpet back. Made a rather large hole in the tunnel that lines up with the TA bushing bolt. made it alot easier because that bolt is TIGHT.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the tips. Right now I've got the front on ramps and the rear body on jack stands. I figure I can jack up the pumpkin if need be. Thats an interesting technique SSactionLS1! Didn't think of that. What makes you think I'll be taking the bushing off OldSkool? I hope I don't need to. I know it will transmit more noise, but so would any torque arm I buy. Have you run just a poly bushing before?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

poly trans mount... not poly torque arm bushing... i can live with the poly torque arm bushing but the poly trans mount is a terrible thing to live with. I've tried it twice (once with stock crossmember, once with a different crossmember) and both times i had to cut my "test drive" short, didnt even make it out the neighborhood before i decided it needed to come out, but by all means, try it, some people may like it.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Ah, gotcha. I'm glad you weren't talking about the torque arm mount because that would be more of a pain to change out. I still hope I like the tranny mount. Did you use the energy suspension one? If so, did you shave the two bottom bumps and leave the spacer off? I've heard this helps with vibration. I hope so at least.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

nah, i went with the prothane because i didnt want to have to go through the trouble of making the engery suspension one work. let us know how you like it.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Launching!

I replaced my tranny mount with a prothane about a week ago and I gained alittle vibration in 6th at 80 mph, but other than that nothing to speak of. I did notice with just the tranny mount installed the first time I started it more of a rumble in the seat and no more sloppy feel in the suspension over road spanners and bridge joints.

I installed the Energy Suspensions torque arm bushing this morning. The top bolt was a bitch but other than that a very easy install. I had access to a lift, cut-off wheel, and drill. The torque arm bushing has cut the vibration in half that I feel at 80 mph. I hope the motor mounts will cure the rest. I will probably install them this week sometime.

I think both those pieces have gave the car a positive feel when accelerating and no more axle twitch or jump out going over bumps at highway speeds.

Dave
Old 08-06-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you had some positive things to say about the tranny and torque mount. Any tips on getting the top bolt off?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

Finished putting on the tranny and torque arm bushings tonight. It wasn't that hard, except for grinding and popping out the rivets. I'm all done except for bolting up the crossmember. I was taking out one of the crossmember bolts and got some metal shavings with it. It looks like there was a little bit of cross threading going on. I've got to decide whether to bolt it up and cross my fingers, or maybe do a heli-coil. It's not too bad and I think it will probably hold. The other 3 bolts looked good enough. Guess I'll sleep on it......................
Old 08-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Launching!

A 15mm gear wrench makes that top bolt alot easier to handle and saves alot of time. Good luck on fixing your one bad bolt hole.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DWillTA
I replaced my tranny mount with a prothane about a week ago and I gained alittle vibration in 6th at 80 mph, but other than that nothing to speak of. I did notice with just the tranny mount installed the first time I started it more of a rumble in the seat and no more sloppy feel in the suspension over road spanners and bridge joints.

I installed the Energy Suspensions torque arm bushing this morning. The top bolt was a bitch but other than that a very easy install. I had access to a lift, cut-off wheel, and drill. The torque arm bushing has cut the vibration in half that I feel at 80 mph. I hope the motor mounts will cure the rest. I will probably install them this week sometime.

I think both those pieces have gave the car a positive feel when accelerating and no more axle twitch or jump out going over bumps at highway speeds.

Dave
Poly motor mounts are great, dont know how i ever lived without em. Poly trans mounts seem to be hit or miss.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, a gear wrench would have been a great tool for the job.

I found a bigger bolt to tap the threads for, but stupid me drilled out the hole too much and had to go with an even bigger bolt! Now I've got a huge 9/16" bolt(about as big as I could possibly go)in there. The crossmember won't be going anywhere with that terminator bolt lol. Still have yet to take it for a test drive though.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 08-08-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Ok.....took the car for a test drive. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones, because I can only BARELY tell a difference as far as vibration is concerned. FYI I did leave off the spacer and grind down the bumps. The car feels great, stiffer and with less less brake dive. I'd have to say I'm very happy with the mods. The money/performance ratio is excellent also because I got the tranny mount for free and paid $11.99 for the torque arm bushing.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:42 AM
Launching!

grind down what bumps?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

The poly bushing that makes contact with the tranny has two bumps on it. I'm not sure what all the reasons are for doing this as a vibration reducing mod. I do know that the grinding brings the ES bushing closer in height to the OE bushing. I did not measure the ES bushing, just eyeballed the two. The ES bushing post grinding is at least within a hair of being stock size. Using the ES bushing with the spacer and without grinding the bumps down would bring the tranny much closer to the tunnel. I don't understand why they'd make the bushing so much taller than stock.

BTW, my y-pipe banging issues seem to have been fixed. I took all the rubber hoses I had wedged under my y-pipe and still have yet to hear it bang. I wonder what causes the vibration people complain of with the ES tranny mount. I'd say my vibration is very "stock-like". My whole car feels much stiffer/solid after doing the torque arm/tranny bushings. Ever since I did heads and cam I do notice the engine rocking back and forth alot more. Guess poly motor mounts will have to be next on my list.

Quick Reply: Best Support for Torque Arm Bushing Install