Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Edelbrock=shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There you go, say it just like that.

Earlier in the thread it was made pretty clear we were talking about the unique IAS. That's why I was confused by you saying there were 2 of them. I don't think anyone would want the conventional Edelbrock shock.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by what zredbeast mentions, he is looking for what my friend had in mind (looks, price, and placebo performance for the street).

My vote would lean more towards Sam's advice for the money and the performance. Koni DA's are pretty flexible when it comes to performance demands. I think sometimes that the whole "coil-over" concept gets mixed in with "bling" and much is forgotten what it is used for. If you absolutely need to change ride height with finer adjustment or change with different uses, then opt for a coil-over retrofit sleeve.

Wasn't really bothered by increased ride harshness, so I opted for the G2 coil-over system, which would go way beyond what street vehicles can use.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foxxton
My vote would lean more towards Sam's advice for the money and the performance. Koni DA's are pretty flexible when it comes to performance demands.
Sam did not recommend the DA, he only does that for the more hardcore racers. They are about $700 for the front pair. Most people only need the SA and they are about $500.
I still think the IAS would be a good street setup. I think they would have a very performance oriented feel while still giving a good ride and that's what most people want anyway. If I got the front kit I would also get the rear shocks to match. Last I remember, Edelbrock had a money back guarantee when you bought all 4 shocks. Then you can lower the rear by any number of the ways I mentioned.

I wish someone would buy them and give some feedback. I bet they would be really good. I loved them on my other car.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've only had an experience for a short time with DA's, and liked them, however can the SA's be adjusted while the vehicle's suspension is loaded? If that's the case then SA's are definitely the answer, because like you said, the full DA setup is 1324 USD, which the ones I had I bought barely used for around 950.

As far as the IAS, it could be worth a try, just don't know anybody other than you or my friend who can vouch for them.

Last edited by Foxxton; 09-05-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

The DA and SA are virtually identical. There are some internal parts that are changed and the DA has the bump adjustors added near the bottom of the shock. The top rebound adjustors are identical.

Have you tried adjusting the bump up front? How did you like it?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

It can get kind of tricky at first, but if you follow the directions that are with the shocks then they're not too difficult to fine tune. As expensive as the 8242 DA's are, I feel that they're definitely worth the money if you are either road racing, or very technically oriented to the point where your paritcular needs can use the bump adjustment.

Since the regular manual only gives an idea of how to adjust, the results of adjustment and maladjustment are better described in the mosport catalogue, pgs. 12-13 (pdf will read 13-14):

http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/K...ortCatalog.pdf

Please bear in mind that the adjustment turns that are offered in the instructions will not necessarily be the initial setting behaviour for 8242's. Just like you and Sam state, the bump adjustment is really for experts, since most have a hard time finding adjustment of the upward movement of unsprung weight. From my experience, you no longer have to be so utterly picky when selecting some sticky shoes for your wheels. In the future, I would like to try one of Koni-racing's aluminium bodied, rod-ended dampers that can replace the Bilsteins in the G2 coil-over system.

But for most people like zredbeast, at least try to stick with a "rebound-only" adjustment damper. And whenever Sam states that quality dampers can make a much gained improvement with many suspension dynamics, he's definitely right.

Last edited by Foxxton; 09-06-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just a bump for those interested in the Edelbrock shocks.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There are two Edelbrock shocks for the car, not just one... Nobody mentioned that....

The springs are Eibach Pro-kits.
Edelbrock has only made one shock for the front of the 4th gen F-body. It is an adjustable ride height coilover with an ERS spring. Edelbrock has never manufactured a stock replacement front shock for the F-body.

http://www.edelbrock.com/advertising...3000/33031.jpg

The rear spring is a sportline from Eibach. We also sell a complete sportline kit for people not interested in our conversion shock.

Last edited by Beat98TJ; 04-11-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: bad grammar and to add photo link
Old 04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

FWIW, that's not helping you case. Sportlines are even worse. But from what I've seen the springs are Pro-kits. Sportlines are red, sort or maroon in color, Pro-kits are gray. The rears I've seen were gray, maybe that's been changed... but as an offering Sportlines weren't the right way to go. And as I stated in another thread, the fact you don't offer just a front shock w/o forcing a certain spring setup isn't helping your sales either.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

FWIW, that's not helping you case. Sportlines are even worse. But from what I've seen the springs are Pro-kits. Sportlines are red, sort or maroon in color, Pro-kits are gray. The rears I've seen were gray, maybe that's been changed... but as an offering Sportlines weren't the right way to go. And as I stated in another thread, the fact you don't offer just a front shock w/o forcing a certain spring setup isn't helping your sales either.
We did test both springs, my recollection is that the f-bodies use the Sport Line. Whichever it is, it is the stiffer choice. Our technology requires that the shock be mounted piston rod down, thus it is often not practical to use the oem spring configuration in coil on shock applications. Thus the front uses the ERS spring.

Some applications do use prokits. It depends on the vehicle. We did ride work with all of the Eibach springs available at the time.

I will verify when I go to the office on Monday as I am home currently.

The nice part about us "forcing the spring choice" is that the damping is matched to the application. I have seen that you like to do custom valving, so I am sure you are aware that this is a key performance factor.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sam, you are correct, the rear springs are from the Pro Kit p/n 3831.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beat98TJ
Sam, you are correct, the rear springs are from the Pro Kit p/n 3831.
But then again, aren't the same rear springs used for both the LS1 Prokit and Sportline?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No, they aren't the same springs... and those are LT1 Pro-kit rears anyway, not LS1.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, they aren't the same springs... and those are LT1 Pro-kit rears anyway, not LS1.
So the LT1 and LS1 had different rear springs? I can't see the rears needing to be different. I know the LS1 Prokit had rear springs about the same height as the Sportline which always made the back of the car look like it was sagging.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yes we use the same rear spring on the LS and LT1 cars.

I drove our LS1 car last week for a few days, it has about 35k on the suspension since it was installed in 2000. No change in ride height is apparent.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Launching!

I'm a little late to the party, but for anyone still considering the Edelbrock shocks...

I have the Edelbrock shocks with Eibach springs front and rear. I absolutely love them. With the stock shocks and springs, the car would dive on braking, sway around corners, and had a prerunner stance. With the Edelbrock setup, sway is a thing of the past, the stance is killer, and my car feels good around corners. That IAS stuff works really well, even if you don't understand what an inertia valve is.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

FYI,

The differences between the Eibach LS1 and LT1 rear springs are as follows:

3831.140 rear spring has free length of 367.3mm
3870.140 rear spring has free length of 352.3mm

All other dimensions are similar. Static height is only different by difference of free length.

What this 15mm extra free length will do is slightly raise the ride height. So if you have an LS1 Pro Kit which you like but is low in the rear, you can pick up Edelbrock p/n 5246 (rear springs only) and bring the rear of your car up slightly.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The spring rates are also different.....
Old 04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Are you sure?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah... I'm sure.