Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to out handle a WRX???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to out handle a WRX???

Okay, I got a buddy with 04 WRX (not STi) and he constantly rubbs in my face that is handling is 2nd to none, which the AWD is nice to have but I smoke the **** out him in a race.....what would I need to do to "out-handle" him?....

reason being we were driving in his car today and we were going from my college (westminster) to Mizzou on the back roads and he took this crazy right hand turn that was posted at 25 mph doing 65 and did an amazing controlled almost power-sliding turn that scared the hell out of me and the 2 other passengers in the car?!? so what do I do?

my next plans for my car is either procharging it or doing a cam and suspension stuff so let me know what you guys think...
Old 09-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, you should be able to hang with him bone stock. They're not the best handling of cars, its just slightly more nimble thanks to its lighter weight. My SRT4 is alot more nimble than my Formula, but the Formula can take a long sweeper at a higher speed than the SRT4.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
reason being we were driving in his car today and we were going from my college (westminster) to Mizzou on the back roads and he took this crazy right hand turn that was posted at 25 mph doing 65 and did an amazing controlled almost power-sliding turn that scared the hell out of me and the 2 other passengers in the car?!?
It sounds like your friend is a danger to himself and others. Generally referred to as an idiot, asshat, or assclown (among other terms).

so what do I do?
I'd find a new friend. Preferably one with some common sense who won't take a chance of getting you all killed.

You ask, we answer.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
You ask, we answer.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Well if you've ever driven a WRX with all season tires it has alot of body roll and really plows, the only advatange it has it it'll keep gripping but dosn't nessarliy mean it's faster in the turns....
Old 09-10-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you wise men, now is there anyway to prove to him (like an article or something) that my car will handle just as good as his?? because I have now factual argument
Old 09-10-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out some old motor trend articles and see what both cars do through the slalom, skidpad, etc. those numbers arent accurate but thats the only written "proof"
Old 09-10-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you wise men, now is there anyway to prove to him (like an article or something) that my car will handle just as good as his?? because I have now factual argument
I think the safest way to prepare a "showdown" with your friend is to locate and join the nearest possible sports car club or a sanctioning body that will not only organise a safe form of competition, but also will require you both to gain some seat time. Not only will there be a little added safety and training, but also both of you will learn much more about handling your vehicles with better control at their limit.

If you then find yourself needing to modify your vehicle, then you will be much wiser when approaching the performance aftermarket.

My purpose of this post is not to order you to do something, but rather give friendly and insightful advice. Your mods are only as good to your vehicle as the skill of the driver can make.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I got a buddy with 04 WRX (not STi) and he constantly rubbs in my face that is handling is 2nd to none, which the AWD is nice to have but I smoke the **** out him in a race
Excellent performance possibly, but claiming it's "second to none" is relatively unsubstantiated. There are cheaper used vehicles that can be modified to easily put it to shame in Autocross or Road Racing. For the money, I admit that it is truly an exceptional vehicle, but not immune to the wide world of sports vehicles. Oh, and I'm not too sure if it can truly out manoeuvre a ready built factory spec Ultima GTR, because that vehicle can truly perform to some wild limits.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

When it comes to taking turns, its more the driver, not the car.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Waveridr85
When it comes to taking turns, its more the driver, not the car.
The driver is the one who needs to be skilled to push the vehicle's capability to it's limits. No driver skill can push a vehicle beyond its physical limits, so if a car has a 0.88g skipad limit, an expert driver is not able to push it beyond that limit unless the vehicle's physical characteristics can be changed.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

touche.......i guess i need to take a driving school course to sharpen my skills
Old 09-11-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, yes, but even intermediate drivers continue their "education" as far as increasing their skills of competitive driving. If and when you attend a competitive driving school, be sure to attend with the purpose of learning from scratch and applying what you've learned rather than considering it a means to a terminal credential. The worst thing anybody can exhibit in competitive driving is imprudence.

As a demonstration of some costly imprudence, here's a website to view: http://www.wreckedexotics.com/

(Disclaimer: This reference is soley for information purposes only and any results of viewing this reference rests completely with the viewer's responsibility. View at your own discretion.)
Old 09-11-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1tech.fan
Take a look:
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~hartley/iroc/z28vs911.html

This gives an indication of a stock F-bodys handling.
That makes me really glad I own an f-body!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

bring him to a autocross..you should win..between his turbo lag and understeering awd and all season shitty bicycle tires...but it all comes down to the drives..and your friend seems dumb to be taking turns like that..it almost seems like the car is driving him..not the other way around..and that could be bad when **** hits the fan and he freezes up because he doesn't actually know how to drive the car.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackbird
It sounds like your friend is a danger to himself and others. Generally referred to as an idiot, asshat, or assclown (among other terms).

I'd find a new friend. Preferably one with some common sense who won't take a chance of getting you all killed.

You ask, we answer.

rooooooof

Old 09-11-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
bring him to a autocross..you should win..between his turbo lag and understeering awd and all season shitty bicycle tires...but it all comes down to the drives..and your friend seems dumb to be taking turns like that..it almost seems like the car is driving him..not the other way around..and that could be bad when **** hits the fan and he freezes up because he doesn't actually know how to drive the car.
Ah yes, gotta love the imprudence of an amateur driver relying mostly on vehicle physics to be the saviour when an emergency manoeuvre is necessary.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not a direct comparo to a WRX, but still some bragging rights:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Eventually he will total his STI into a tree and then he will have to buy some piece of junk and he won't be faster than you around corners anymore
Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage

Actually, we've had a tough time with the ralley cars in autocrosses. A fully sorted one has been hard to beat. So, I'm not so sure that it's a guarenteed win at an autocross course. We've been trying to get them moved out of our classes because it's not fair on slick courses or in the rain. If you do beat one in the dry, you'll be sunk as soon as it rains.

Exhibit A:

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=2535&

Though they are not impossible to beat.

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1338&

And one last one:

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=4634&

You'll notice that we've been trying very hard to get these cars out of our class. They really are "that fast" when prepped properly. Stock for stock, it's more fair, but after optimizing each car, the WRX/EVO crowd gain some serious advantages and have been giving us some fits.

Quick Reply: How to out handle a WRX???