Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hot Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hot Rotors

So I was doing some "spirited driving" last night, and I was breaking a little bit harder than normal driving. My rotors (stock) are warped already and I just ordered a new set, but anyways, it seems to me that only the front brakes are working 100% because when I got home, I touched the rear rotors and they were slightly warm, if not almost room temp. but then i touched the front rotors and it burned my finger. They were hot!!!

So what would cause this? Should I bleed the brakes? What would be possible reasons for this happening?

Thanks fellas!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brakes are front biased so the fronts are going to work more. Otherwise you would have people spinning out.... and mass hiliarity would ensue.....

I would jack the rear in the air, take the rear wheels off, and have someone pump the pedal to ensure the rear pads are engaging......
Old 09-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Brakes are front biased so the fronts are going to work more. Otherwise you would have people spinning out.... and mass hiliarity would ensue.....

I would jack the rear in the air, take the rear wheels off, and have someone pump the pedal to ensure the rear pads are engaging......
How much contact do the pads have to make in order to be effective? Should the pad come in contact firmly or slightly loose? I will try this when I make my rotor swap soon. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Default Bleed em?

Also, would air in the brake lines cause the absence of the rear brakes?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Default Help!

C'mon guys! Need Help!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Other than the temperature of the rear rotors... why do you think the rears are not working?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Put the car on a lift, crank it up and 'drive it' so that the rear wheels and turning then try the brakes. As someone else stated its normal for the fronts to be much hotter then the rear, b/c the front do the most braking.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Other than the temperature of the rear rotors... why do you think the rears are not working?

Because ever since I took off my rotors to change 2 broken lug studs (one on each rear wheel) it felt weird braking-wise. Also, I can "feel" that the front brakes are doing most of the work. Also, braking performance at fast speeds is horrible (shaking steering wheel, vibrations) I don't know if it's because my rotors are warped or why else this would be.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

The vibrations are from your rotors being warped. As for when you change the wheel studs, i'd just go back and double check everything is to spec.
Originally Posted by cep362
Because ever since I took off my rotors to change 2 broken lug studs (one on each rear wheel) it felt weird braking-wise. Also, I can "feel" that the front brakes are doing most of the work. Also, braking performance at fast speeds is horrible (shaking steering wheel, vibrations) I don't know if it's because my rotors are warped or why else this would be.