Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Educate me on these ebay LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me on these ebay LCA's

I've been looking at LCA's and a panhard rod to buy for a couple days. I've found a couple on ebay that are priced very reasonably:

First, $90: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8000793188

Second, $100: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7999508574

What I'm confused about is..the first, cheaper item, is adjustable. I've seen these adjustable spherical LCA's going for $150-200. The second item, the more expensive, is non-adjustable. I've seen these going for $110-130. I'm not sure which to get..I want the adjustable ones right now, but it seems like something is up. Why would a part that's normally $80 more than another, be $10 cheaper? Is it just because the first part is a no-name brand and the second is well-known UMI? Is there really much difference in the build quality of these metal bars that you would recommend not getting the first part?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

that "solid steel grease-able rear bushings" on those first ones are scary. I don't think i'd get those.

Adjustability on LCA's isnt a huge deal. They can correct for thrust angle (which shouldnt be a major issue on most cars) or they can push/pull the axle forward or backward if you have some seriously tall tires that may rub the front or back of the wheel well (which once again probably wont be an issue for most people).

If you're going to go poly bushings, theres no reason to go adjustable if you ask me. And if you go with spherical (rod) ends.. they'll be adjustable anyway- just the way rod ends are..

Oh... and UMI is a sponsor... and other sponsors make good stuff too... its always good to support the sponsors
Old 09-17-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first set use rod ends that are junk or very close to it. It's a "swedged" rod end. They put the ball in it, and "smash" it around the ball. The tolerances are not very precise, and they don't appear to be teflon lined. I've got a set of Rod/Rod LCA's in my garage that I'll virtually give away (really cheap, or less) if someone wants them (from slot car performance).

Or, as stated, there are many sponsors here who make very good products. I'd look into something from one of them.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would recommend a rod/rod PHR, because there's no point in getting a little slop from poly bushings.

One thing no one mentioned and I felt I should point out is the the poly/poly LCA's don't allow for hardly any twist. In use on the car, the arms need to twist and the rubber allows that. The ONLY thing good about that first one is that the rodend allows for that twist and won't cause as much bind. Still, you wouldn't want to waste your money on cheap rod ends.

What I'm looking at is the rod/rubber LCA's that Jon Aadland put together. They have a rod end on one end and an adjustable rubber bushing (about half the thickness of the stock rubber bushings) on the other end. That seems like a very good compromise to me.
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=3553&
Old 09-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Adj rod/rod ends are great as long as you use quality rod ends and not use the tubular stuff...Trackbird is correct!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADZ
Adj rod/rod ends are great as long as you use quality rod ends and not use the tubular stuff...Trackbird is correct!!!
The aluminum arms are tubular, I believe, and not solid. They all have their applications. You can also get a double rod ended arm that uses a tubular steel middle section from LG.

I think you are saying that you don't like the poly bushings?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:35 PM

No, we are a machine shop and build SOLID BILLET rod/rod lca's and phr's for the industry and sell about 20-40 sets a month to 6 speed shops around the US... You're right, I don't care for twisted dry rotted bushings over a period but that's my opinion...
Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, I see. Your the first place that I've seen that uses solid billet arms. Are you a sponsor here? Do you have parts for the f-body? I'd like to see some of your stuff.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:40 PM

Pic's in the sig...We build for custom race cars as well and we only build solid pieces...
Old 09-18-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

No website? What are the details?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:44 PM

pm sent..
Old 09-18-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think ive seen your stuff on ebay
Old 09-18-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't want to upset the sponsors by posting a link, but yea, he's on e-bay as badz4973.

Quick Reply: Educate me on these ebay LCA's