Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shocks and springs ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best shocks and springs ??????

I'm looking to change my shocks and springs all the way a round, I don't want to lower my car at all!! So if someone can let me know what is the best set up to go with I'll greatly apresheated....

Thanks
Alex
Old 10-09-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Contact Sam @ Strano - he'll set you straight on what you need

I use the stock T/A WS6 springs and custom re-valved Billstein HD Shocks from Strano

-Jay-
Old 10-09-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best shocks and springs (for my budget and application).

What do you plan to do with the car? You may just need some good shocks.
Depending on your budget, you can get Bilsteins all around for about $329. That's what these cars should have came with from the factory.

Then you have the Koni SA's. Adding these to the front would be the next step up. The Koni SA up front and Bilstein in rear is about $660.

Koni SA front and rear is about $820.

So tell us your budget and application. A single call to Sam will help you sort it out as well.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

so Koni's are the best huh?

i am also looking to improve the handling, as I find the stock set-up sub par. I am probably going to to spend the 1k and get the best possbile
Old 10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
so Koni's are the best huh?
For mere mortals.

From what I understand Penskes are better but way more expensive and probably not worth it for most everyone.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, we're talking about bang for the buck. The Koni SA (single adjustable) are very good for the money. They have adjustable low speed rebound which is what you are going to notice the most. A lot of racers use them.

Then Koni makes a DA (double adjustable) which lets you adjust the rebound AND bump (compression). The majority of racers who get the DA don't necessarily use the bump adjustment. Some do, but it's not needed on the street.

SA's are $248ea front and $156ea rear.
DA's are $338ea front and $280ea rear.
Penske and maybe Moton make race shocks and LG has a coilover kit for $2200.
That's why I mentioned budget.

If you like the idea of trying different shock adjustments to make the car firmer or softer, then go with the Koni SA's. The rear shocks have a **** behind the seat and the fronts adjust by the spring. For all but the real racers, the SA's will do you right. I have the SA all around and am glad I got them. I can tweak the settings and make the car do what I want. If you get used to the quicker handling after a year or 2 you can firm them up a bit or tweak them after a tire swap. Some tires are stiffer then others, so being able to dial it in is just great in my opinion.

The best setup for springs is the Ground Control setup. They are a coilover conversion up front and adjustable perches in rear. You get infinate ride height adjustment. I have them on the front and am glad I do. I can tweak it until the ride height is just right. You also get to choose whatever spring rate you want. No guessing about a 1" drop and so forth. The front kit runs $225 and the rear kit runs $200.

With adjustable springs and shocks you can really get your car feeling and looking the way you want it to. It's a great way to go if you can afford it.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really, if you don't plan on some serious racing, then you should really consider an OEM style replacement shock plus a good coil-over sleeve, and as a reminder, make sure you have the appropriate shock valving with whatever spring rate you choose.

Any aluminium bodied motorsport coil-over that would be suggested anywhere in this forum will most likely be overkill for what you desire, plus cost at least 3 to 5 times more than what you intend to spend.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the Hal-QA1's?
They come in both SA & DA.
Also, you can specify which weight rating for application.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

While adjustable, the Hal's are just not good dampers. Being adjustable doesn't mean squat if the consistency and proper adjustments aren't made. Stiffer and softer doesn't equal better and worse handling on it's own.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Hal's are more suited to a drag race application. Just bite the bullet and get some Koni SA's, or wait until you can afford them. Anything else you put on there will just be a waste of money, IMHO. (with the exception of Bilstein revalves.)

Quick Reply: Best shocks and springs ??????