Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ok, my brakes SUCK!!! what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Ok, my brakes SUCK!!! what to do?

i just had a brake job done probably 2000 mi ago. they inspected them, turned the front rotors and put new pads on the front. He said thats al that needed fixing. they were not so sucky (they were still bad) for a while. but now they are terrible once again. so what rotor and pad combo do i need to replace my stock ones with all around? i dont want to get too pricey. or i would buy the $1400 wilwood kit. any help is apppreciated.

josh
Old 10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Teching In

*Advertisement removed

Last edited by WILWAXU; 10-26-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I have baer rotors and stock pads they kick ***. good luck
Old 10-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

If you want cheap:
Brembo OEM blank rotors (Or AutoZone DuraLast)
Hawke HPS pads

The Brembo OEM blanks and Hawke HPS pads are available at TireRack (a Sponsor).

I have that setup and I bought it from TireRack.

There are plenty of other options (bigger rotors, more aggresive pads, different calipers) but the prices start climbing quickly.
(Note: Slotted/Drilled are for looks.)

If you want larger rotors without going to the cost of a Big Brake Kit, you can upgrade to Corvette 13" front rotors. You will need relocation brackets for starters (to move the calipers outward to accomodate the larger rotors) and possibly other items (pads/calipers?). Do a Search on the Corvette Brake conversion and you'll find plenty of info.

Also, replace (and upgrade) your Brake Fluid while you are at it.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-24-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Brembo rotors are excellent (and other sponsors like me carry those too). You may or may not need to replace your rotors, and frankly a good rotor doesn't stop the car faster, but are more durable for wear and warpage.

As for pads, the Hawk pads are certainly an option and we carry those as well (and for a very competitive pricing vs. TireRack). But we also have other brands as well, I use PBR pads on the front of my car and not the Hawk's. I find the PBR's to have better intial bite than HPS's with just a bit more power too. Not the same power as the HP Plus pads, but very strong. And the best part, they are less money than the HPS's are too. So they cost less and work better too. And not exactly no-name.... PBR makes your brake calipers (and the C4/C5 and C6 Vettes too, including the Z06's).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-24-2005, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

i just want a very firm pedal feel. in my porsche 944 u had to press the brake pedal about an inch and a half and it was clamping hard. i liked that a lot. but i just wanna get high performance pads but i dont want them to wear really quick. i'll definitely check out ur website and see what u have. thanks

josh
Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

A 944 is very different from an F-body. German cars have great brakes built in, especially Porsche's and BMW's.

Again, the rotors aren't likely the problem here. Better pads, some stainless lines and some high quality fluid (I use ATE, which is German and who makes most of Porsche's non Brembo brakes) would be where you should start.

Feel free to look at the site, but in all honesty you would be best served by calling me up. You can get a lot more pertinent information for your needs....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock rotors are notorious for warping on our cars and leaving you with a crappy feeling pedal. Aftermarket rotors are a great choice as well as new pads. I have KVR rotors with carbonfiber pads (package deal from a sponsor) and they feel great compared to my stock set-up. And I agree with Sam, if you want a firmer pedal, switch to stainless brake lines as they will flex a lot less than the rubber lines and you will get a much firmer pedal. And the fluid probably needs replacing as well while you are at it.

I will be in the process of upgrading my car to the new C6 ZO6 brakes this winter. Those should feel better than my current set-up and definitely better than stock. So you can always go bigger (but you need the wheels to fit the larger brakes).
Old 10-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when you say sucky what do you mean? Do they vibrate ? do they not work? what are the symptoms here. You might want anything from powerslot rotors and hawk pads to a "big brake" setup.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Default Big Brake Up Set Up

Originally Posted by LSfast1
i just had a brake job done probably 2000 mi ago. they inspected them, turned the front rotors and put new pads on the front. He said thats al that needed fixing. they were not so sucky (they were still bad) for a while. but now they are terrible once again. so what rotor and pad combo do i need to replace my stock ones with all around? i dont want to get too pricey. or i would buy the $1400 wilwood kit. any help is apppreciated.

josh
I would guess that when you say "sucky" you mean that you can't stop. Precision Brakes Company offers a 13" kit with Wilwood Superlite 4 Piston Calipers for $1199. You can go with the 6 Piston for $1599. Throw me a PM for details.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a lessons learned.... new rotors are cheap..... replace them if they warp!

Duralast from uhoh zone and hawk pads are a great combo.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
when you say sucky what do you mean? Do they vibrate ? do they not work? what are the symptoms here. You might want anything from powerslot rotors and hawk pads to a "big brake" setup.
they ar ebad at moderate speed like my car will shake a lttle bit when im on the freeway breaking at 70 mph. and it feels like i have a bunch of brake fade. but some days my brakes feel absolutely fine. so i dont know. and like when im coming to a stop at a slow speed and just barely pressing the pedal it feels like the brakes are barely grabbing and then letting go over and over. im kinda on a budget right now so a big brake kit is completey out of the picture. ( im 17 yrs old ii have to pay for everything, i make 7 bucks an hour, and im still in
high school= not a lot of money) so im thinking hawk pads, new brake fluid, and new rotors if necessary. they should be alright since i just had the turned right?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSfast1
they ar ebad at moderate speed like my car will shake a lttle bit when im on the freeway breaking at 70 mph. and it feels like i have a bunch of brake fade. but some days my brakes feel absolutely fine. so i dont know. and like when im coming to a stop at a slow speed and just barely pressing the pedal it feels like the brakes are barely grabbing and then letting go over and over. im kinda on a budget right now so a big brake kit is completey out of the picture. ( im 17 yrs old ii have to pay for everything, i make 7 bucks an hour, and im still in
high school= not a lot of money) so im thinking hawk pads, new brake fluid, and new rotors if necessary. they should be alright since i just had the turned right?
How old is the car how many miles on the brakes? Sounds like it could be one of two things to me. Warped rotors of maybe even a frozen caliper, or a messed up pad. My thought being the first of the choices. Either way you can do the jobs yourself.
Not sure what you meant when you said new rotors and then they should be ok just had them turned?

You can only turn rotors so many times and then it becomes unsafe. I had only turned my once before buying new rotors. You just had your rotors turned and put new pads on at the same time and your getting the same problem ? Call that shop and ask them WTF? How many times have the rotors been turned? You either re-warped them due to sever usage and them being thin or you have a caliper problem or maybe even a floater pin frozen and they didnt take care of it. Either way they should be standing by their brake job at only 2000 miles. If they missed something they suck and you should be pissed at them. Get some money back if you can and find someone else. Brakes on these cars are the easiest things to do, no excuses for a shop to mis-diagnose or miss a problem while doing a brake job on it.

And as far as the wilwoods... NO! You dont need them. I bought powerslot rotors, (not drilled) and hawk pads and couldnt be happier. Now I am looking into a baer's big brake kit, but that because my car is a lot quicker and faster by far and actualy need the enhanced stopping power of a bigger system. In other words my car is to fast for its own brakes right now. Yours is not. Not dising your car, just stating the facts the way I see them. I'm putting down around 440rwhp and 420tq and am a very aggressive driver. I'll sell you my used powerslots and pads when I switch, save you some money from buying new ones or you can but new ajusa had the best price on them. I did all new front and rear for less than 500 I think. I'll be switching in about a month if you can wait. I'll sell you my stuff a lot cheaper and there is nothing wrong with it at all. Just not adequate anymore. Heads,cam,nitrous... zoom!

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-30-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Brembo rotors are excellent (and other sponsors like me carry those too). You may or may not need to replace your rotors, and frankly a good rotor doesn't stop the car faster, but are more durable for wear and warpage.

As for pads, the Hawk pads are certainly an option and we carry those as well (and for a very competitive pricing vs. TireRack). But we also have other brands as well, I use PBR pads on the front of my car and not the Hawk's. I find the PBR's to have better intial bite than HPS's with just a bit more power too. Not the same power as the HP Plus pads, but very strong. And the best part, they are less money than the HPS's are too. So they cost less and work better too. And not exactly no-name.... PBR makes your brake calipers (and the C4/C5 and C6 Vettes too, including the Z06's).
Brembo all the way, im very happy with mine.

Quick Reply: Ok, my brakes SUCK!!! what to do?