Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which is the most comfortable spring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which is the most comfortable spring?

i know this is a difficult question mainly because most people have only rode one or maybe two springs. Can you post up a favorite or a comparison so maybe i can gather some info? I daily drive my car for most of the year and I would like to know which lowering spring would be best for me. I will most likely be using a Koni adjustable of some sort which i can adjust harder or softer for better handling or better launching at will. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

jacob
Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

most comfortable spring? stock.

I've had several sets of lowering springs, as well as cut stock springs... the hotchkis springs were probably the softest under normal driving situations. Hotchkis and cut stock springs were pretty close to being equally soft, the hotchkis springs handled WAY better in the curves though.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey xaon, have you tried DMS? I know the numbers are a little higher compared to hotchkis but I've heard they ride nicer.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks have far more to do with ride than springs. With Koni's you'll be in pretty good shape. However, if you use a really stiff spring, you'll need to turn the shock damping up a bit more to control them properly. This will cause a rougher ride. Koni's with Hotchkiss are a known good choice. Any spring/shock combo will ride different, and often a bit "firmer" than stock. I run my car with Koni DA's, 600 in lb front springs and 150 in lb rear springs every day (daily driver, even in winter). It's firm, but it's not bad (at least not to me).
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trackbird
Shocks have far more to do with ride than springs. With Koni's you'll be in pretty good shape. However, if you use a really stiff spring, you'll need to turn the shock damping up a bit more to control them properly. This will cause a rougher ride. Koni's with Hotchkiss are a known good choice. Any spring/shock combo will ride different, and often a bit "firmer" than stock. I run my car with Koni DA's, 600 in lb front springs and 150 in lb rear springs every day (daily driver, even in winter). It's firm, but it's not bad (at least not to me).
cool i just have to do some research now to figure out whether i need the double adjustables or the single adjustables. i always liked the stance of the hotchkiss springs so i guess that just seals the deal. thanks trackbird i think that answered my question pretty well
Old 10-26-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Singles are fine. I have doubles and really like them, but I also autocross regularly (and many national champions only run single adjustables, so we know they perform) and decided to try doubles. If I were you and it's a street car, singles work great, actually, they work better than great. It will save you a bundle of money you really don't need to spend.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Singles are fine. I have doubles and really like them, but I also autocross regularly (and many national champions only run single adjustables, so we know they perform) and decided to try doubles. If I were you and it's a street car, singles work great, actually, they work better than great. It will save you a bundle of money you really don't need to spend.

That's good to know, as Sam Strano said either will work, but the cost between the (2) are significant. Decisions, decisions
Thanks - combo x-cross/drag application
Old 10-27-2005, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, what he said! If you feel the overwhelming need to waste money, at least only get doubles for the front, since doubles for the rear is sinfully throwing away money (i.e.; TOTALLY USELESS/UNNECESSARY).
Old 10-27-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Yes, what he said! If you feel the overwhelming need to waste money, at least only get doubles for the front, since doubles for the rear is sinfully throwing away money (i.e.; TOTALLY USELESS/UNNECESSARY).
i dont even know which parts of the shock are adjustable for either the single or the double. i assume the single can only adjust rebound and the double can adjust rebound and compression?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

As I understand it, the singles cannot be adjusted once installed; however, you can adjust the doubles after install.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

DMS defintely rides very nicely! Check out some of the testimonials on their site. I had Eibachs on my old F-body and hated the ride. I switched to DMS and loved it. Even with my new F-body I still went with their springs.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
As I understand it, the singles cannot be adjusted once installed; however, you can adjust the doubles after install.

The front singles and doubles can be adjusted on the car (but you need a 2.5mm allen wrench to reach the rebound adjuster, it's not super easy, but you can get good at it). The rear 4th gen singles and the doubles can be adjusted on the car. The rear third gen singles you have to unbolt the lower mount to adjust them (unbolt them from the axle).
Old 10-27-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

anyone have any good literature where i can educate myself on the difference between being able to adjust both rebound and compression? you guys say that adjustable rebound is more important then adjustable compression but it sounds to me that adjustable compression should be more important. especially to soften up the rear shocks at the strip. anybody have any idea?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

As I remember (and Sam will probably correct me if I'm wrong), the single adjustable are equal to "full soft" on a double adjustable (or very nearly so). So, you'd not really gain the ability to adjust anything by doing that (you can't go any softer, so it's not an issue).
Old 10-28-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do not forget the ground control spring set up. You can adjust the ride hight and u can get spring rates in 50 # increments. You can get the all four corners complete set up for 360.00$ which is not much more than any other spring. I have 400 / 150 lb/in which is on the low side, but I did not lower my car much, 3/4in or so, I did not need more. works great with the konis

Quick Reply: Which is the most comfortable spring?