Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding Brakes, Haynes Manual wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bleeding Brakes, Haynes Manual wrong?

I was looking through the Haynes Manual while I was bored tonight and looked at the bleeding brake process.

The manual states that if you have traction control not to bleed your brakes and let a dealer do it. And it says that if the ABS light stays on after 10 sec, going from memory here then take it to a dealer.

Are they just throwing BS out there or is this true?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... I bled mie last week with a power bleeder..no problem..I spent more time pulling wheels than i did fiddiling around with the brakes....
Old 11-03-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

I did a gravity bleed 2 weeks ago to install my line lock, my abs light never came on, and my brakes feel 25%better than before.
Maybe the manual is written to "deter" the mass public from bleeding their own brakes, and keeping the owners from putting themselves and others at risk.
On the flip side, it's an OWNERS MANUAL. Show us how to do it with a scan tool ( tech-1 or T-100 ). It's why i bought the damm book.

My .02
(rant off)
Old 11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've bleed my brakes a few times now and I've never had a problem. Out of all the ways I've bleed the brakes gravity bleed worked pretty well.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stark
I did a gravity bleed 2 weeks ago to install my line lock, my abs light never came on, and my brakes feel 25%better than before.
Maybe the manual is written to "deter" the mass public from bleeding their own brakes, and keeping the owners from putting themselves and others at risk.
On the flip side, it's an OWNERS MANUAL. Show us how to do it with a scan tool ( tech-1 or T-100 ). It's why i bought the damm book.

My .02
(rant off)

I THINK the point of tech-1 is for the ABS block. If you get air in it it is harder to bleed the system. I've heard tech-1 is needed for that. BUT I ran mine dry because I wasn't paying attention and I gravity bleed my brakes. Then I drove around (slowly and not far) and the brakes were mushy so I had to be careful but let the system cycle went back and gravity bleed the brakes again to get the rest of the air out. Worked great
Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the key is to not have activated the abs or tcs in the last driving cycle. That way the pistons in the system are fully reset. The dealer can reset the pistons with the tech1 tool. if they are set then it bleeds like any other system.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

SO what is a gravity bleed? (Newb question I know)
Old 11-03-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Take teh cap off the master cylinder....open up one of he bleeders...let gravity (actually ambient air pressure) push the fluid out...

Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes, Haynes Manual wrong?