Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Drifting, Less Grip ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car Drifting, Less Grip ?

I have a question. I recently had my alignment redone to some autox/ street specs

Camber (°) Caster (°) Toe (°)
-0.5 to -1.0 +4.0 to +5.0 0.0

Well it feels like the car turns faster, but it seems it has less grip. Now it turns faster but it feels like the car drifts more in sharp turns. It feels like I used to be able to take sharper turns without loosing traction, The tires arent completely bald but they have bout 10k miles on them. Now my question, is this normal? Now that I have a different setup, Do I need better tires up front ? This morning I had the chance to run an empty parking lot and I took a sharp turn and the car just turned but drifted at the same time. By the way I'm talkin bout turning around 35-40mph. I'm new to suspension setups so any comments would help. Thanx
Old 11-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By drifting do you mean the tail hangs out? If so, that's because with the new alignment the front has more grip than the rear. If you are in a four wheel drift, it may be a tire issue; rubber too cold or not the right air pressure. Also, some parking lots have a very slick sealed surface.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also from your mods list it looks like you are on stock shocks, thats a big problem, those springs need much better shocks, the stockers were poor matches to the stock springs, now they are way outclassed
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea when it drifts its a four wheel drift, its a good feeling cuz its a controlled drift but what happened to my traction? Ive known for a while i need shocks, but gosh it hadnt been a problem yet. Oh and my tire pressure is 30psi all around. On Kumho Supras
Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just the change of seasons can make a substantial
difference in traction. Some compounds lose their
stickiness at merely cool temps (my Goodyears
would not grab at all below 40F, who knows what
others' temperature profile might be?).

Do things improve once you've given them some
good-natured abuse?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah I'm guessing its cold rubber and low tire pressures. You need more pressure in the front tires than the rear on a fbody. Try 40 front 32 rear.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

40psi in the front? dayuum...! Is that safe for street driving ? Seems like its a lil high, I thought lower tire pressure gives you more traction. I guess thats for drag racing. I guess it has to do with the tire temps, since I did notice during the day increased traction. I appreciate the advice cal, you must know what you're talkin bout.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah lower pressure in the rear tires makes the car launch better, but we are talking about cornering traction here. You'll have to experiment with tire pressures; it depends a lot on the type of tire, and the temperature the tire is getting to, as well as the tire size and wheel size. Check the tires when they are at full operating temperature; the cold presure will probably be a lot lower. That 40 psi for the front I sugested might need to be less than that, or even more. If you had smaller sized BFG KD's it will probably have to be a lot higher (an fbody buddy had to run 50 psi in his.) I think that is because the KD's have a stiff sidewall but soft tread. The bigger the tire, the less pressure it needs also.

The way to find out is to chalk the shoulder of the tire, and see how far they are rolling over; should be about 3/16" past the tire shoulder (onto the sidewall) when you do a max effort turn. This should be measured with the tire at rated operating temperature, so it is good to have a way to measure tire temperature.

Since your car has a big weight bias on the front, you need more pressure in the front tires. And since you have a solid axle in the back and less weight back there, lower pressure works better in the rear. The front tires are also what gives you good turn in response, which is another reason to have more pressure in the front.

If you are serious about handling, you need to collect more data and accurate data, so get an accurate tire presure gauge and a pyrometer to measure tire temperature.

Last edited by Cal; 11-03-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Drifting, Less Grip ?