Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Road tracking problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road tracking problem

Does anyone else have a problem with the front tire tracking (following) every "FREAKIN" groove in the road ??

Is it my tires, front shocks, suspension.... WHAT ??
Old 11-17-2005, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Yep. Same thing here, if the road is grooved at all it will follow it. Almost yanked the steering wheel right out of my hand one time;
Old 11-17-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkAzNite
Yep. Same thing here, if the road is grooved at all it will follow it. Almost yanked the steering wheel right out of my hand one time;
Yep'er..especially if your running tires > 245....
Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

And just think what it would feel like to run 315's all around.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I've got 275-40-17 in front... So what you guys are telling me is that my SS tracking every groove in the road is NORMAL !!!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does it.. It depends on your tires sometimes too.. the way the tread is set up
Old 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2KSS
Well I've got 275-40-17 in front... So what you guys are telling me is that my SS tracking every groove in the road is NORMAL !!!!!!
yes, sux I know, but I run the same size tire and it sux. You can try changing the alighnment a little, that helped with mine, but nothings gona fix the problem except for better roads or narrower tires.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well so much my theory about using a different brand of tire or possibly needing new shocks !!
Old 11-17-2005, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Not only that, mine does it even worse now, after installing the moser 12-bolt, my rear is more out of center than it already is from the factory, i can visibly see more tire sticking out on one side, looking from the rear of the car than the other, my passenger front tire is wearing more on the outer section of the tread than the inside, i attribute this to the rear not being centered, also I think I can actually tell my pinion angle is now positive just by looking at it.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
mine does it.. It depends on your tires sometimes too.. the way the tread is set up
Yessir!
Tires do play a great role in the "tracking"
I have all stock setup on ZRIs I can feel tracking alot on crummy roads.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like I'll just have to live with it !
Old 11-17-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea if your rearend isnt alligned right get an adjustable panhard and you can correct the problem real easy.. When i had my 9" my driver side tire was sunk into the wheel well and my passenger tire was sticking out the passenger side alot! Once i adjusted it it moved the tires right over as i turned it! Good luck
Old 11-18-2005, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks,
I hear that only the Spohn allows you to adjust while on the car, is that the case?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am not actually sure which brand mine was.. i think it wa BMR.. but we had it on a hoist when we were adjusting mine.. but if you jack your car up from the rear you should be able to do it that way!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Teching In

I recently got rid of my 99 Z28 with 105k miles. It was bone stock except for 275/45-17 wheels and it followed the grooves and cups in the road to the point it would almost pull the steering wheel out of my hands. My new car with only 25k miles with larger tires (see mods in sig) on the same roads tracks much better than my old car.

True, some tires may track more or less than others, but I think it has to do more with wear in the steering and suspension. I noticed many of the people with problems had higher mileage cars. The higher g loads (turning, stopping, starting) that our cars are capable of result in higher loads on suspension and steering components. I would look for worn tie rod ends, ball joints, A-arm bushings, wheel bearings, rack and pinion slop (near center where it spends most of it's time), and of course alignment. If you have over 75k miles on your car and haven't changed these components, they are probably worn beyond their serviceable life.

Regarding alignment, a little negative caster, and toe in, and vary the camber from left to right all help to give the car some directional stability. My advise is find a reputable garage / alignment shop that is capable of setting a "street performance" alignment, and have them check your steering and suspension for wear, and if all is well, then align the car. If you don't have a one on one conversation with the technician that is aligning your car, discuss the specific alignment values (not ranges) that your car will be set to based on the way your drive your car, and then get a print out of your settings when done, then that is not the right shop to have align your car. Trust me it makes a world of difference.

Just my two cents...
Old 11-19-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well here's the thing. My car is a 2000 SS Camaro, I purchased it with 32000 miles and it had brand new BFG's. It's done the road tracking thing since I purchased it. So I'm not sure if it's worn suspension parts or not. I tend to agree with the point about the wider tires and the newer suspension setups on these cars.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarkAzNite
Not only that, mine does it even worse now, after installing the moser 12-bolt, my rear is more out of center than it already is from the factory, i can visibly see more tire sticking out on one side

You need to get an adj panhard rod..... that will fix your centering problem. And yes, Spohn rocks!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2KSS
Well here's the thing. My car is a 2000 SS Camaro, I purchased it with 32000 miles and it had brand new BFG's. It's done the road tracking thing since I purchased it. So I'm not sure if it's worn suspension parts or not. I tend to agree with the point about the wider tires and the newer suspension setups on these cars.

My car does it and there really isnt anything stock suspension wise on it. I've just grown accustomed to it.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Teching In

We do have to accept some level of tracking with wide low profile tires, however eliminating free play from worn suspension parts and getting a good alignment will minimize the tracking on cupped roads. My old Z28 with a worn suspension and was difficult to keep in the lane and pulled hard on the steering wheel. My new car with a tight suspension and wider tires does wander from side to side on the same cupped road, but at what I think is a reasonable level.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SLP pamphlet that came with my 02 SS has a warning in it regarding road ruts and steering. It's just the nature of the beast.