Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

whos not happy with bilstein HDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whos not happy with bilstein HDs?

im lowered on stock shocks and need to get something better come spring. bilstein HDs seem like a good choice for the price. anyone here not happy with them? or are they a big difference over stock? i know there are better choices but those cost alot more too.

lastly are these the correct part numbers? 2

FRONT B46-1913
REAR B46-1914

tia
Old 01-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

lowered on stock shocks, ouch. Anything would be better but the bilsteins as with most shocks are not designed for lowered cars. I have bilsteins on my stock springs and love them. I would give sam strano a call. Real nice guy and is super helpful. Hes a sponsor too -->

if you go with the bilsteins you should get them revalved so that they will work better with your lowering springs, but honestly a little more money then revalved and you can get koni single adjustables.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmorgan
lowered on stock shocks, ouch. Anything would be better but the bilsteins as with most shocks are not designed for lowered cars. I have bilsteins on my stock springs and love them. I would give sam strano a call. Real nice guy and is super helpful. Hes a sponsor too -->

if you go with the bilsteins you should get them revalved so that they will work better with your lowering springs, but honestly a little more money then revalved and you can get koni single adjustables.
im asking about the HDs, not the regular ones. it said in the description that the HD are for lowered cars.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
im asking about the HDs, not the regular ones. it said in the description that the HD are for lowered cars.
The HD's are the only shock that bilstien makes for this. You can also get The SLP revalves, the fronts are HD's that are revalved, and the rears and un touched HD's. The HD's were intended for stock heigth/springs, and theres a quote on here somewhere from bilstien that states that, but that hasnt stopped people from using them on lowered cars, hell I bought my car with the SLP revalves and pro kit already on it, but would do it different if I was to buy it all over again.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks for the reply
Old 01-17-2006, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
well, that just goes to prove you can't believe much of anything these days. HD's are "regular" Bilstein's... Sports as the the "upgraded" ones, and they never built them for the 93-02 f-body which is why I do Revalves.

And the description you read.... I don't know where, or who is claiming that, but it is not true. And the proof is the quote Stang Killer referred to found here right at the top of page 1:http://www.bilstein.com/302passengercars.pdf
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

id listen to Sam on this one.
i have HD's on my lowered camaro and can tell you that they arent intended for lowered cars.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a set of the Strano-tuned Bilstiens (bought used off a LS1tech member) on my lowered Z28 and I like them. Then again, I don't run auto-X or sanctioned events...
Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

so what are you guys saying.... I now have mixed reports. Everyone says if your lowered that it's either Blisten HD's (revalved) or Koni's. So is revalved Blisten's out of the picture now? I'm just curious since shocks are going to be in need of changing out as of spring.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

From the link Sam posted:
"IMPORTANT NOTE-SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS FOR LOWERING VEHICLE RIDE HEIGHT.
If Bilstein shocks are used in conjunction with shorter aftermarket springs, the shocks selected should be Sport type. HD or C type shocks are not suitable."

So, if you're lowered, Bilstein HD's are not suitable. Sam's revalved Bilsteins will be tailored to the type of springs you run, along with what sway bars you're running and several other factors that Sam will take into consideration when you call him. You can't just go to any sponsor and ask for revalved Bilsteins. Sam describes revalved Bilsteins as what he would suggest setting a set of Koni SA's to for your setup, but they are a cheaper alternative to the Koni's.

I just ordered a set of Koni SA's. After talking to Sam about my setup, my driving style, and what my goals are for the car, he thinks they will be the best option. After reading lots and lots of posts from satisfied Koni owners, I believe him. I'm looking forward to getting them.

-Mike
Old 01-19-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Lesson learned here? Listen to Sam!!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

How are the HD's "not suited" for lowered 4thgen cars? Are the koni's built different somehow?
I have hd's on my lowered 3rd gen and lov'em, of course thats a different front end setup.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

They simply do not have enough damping for lowered springs. Lowering springs on 3rd gen cars are normally really much more (if any) higher rate than the OEM springs are. So the HD's pass on those cars. And if you look at the Bilstein catalog it shows you the front HD and Sport are indeed the same part #. But they don't even 8*list* a Sport shock for the 4th gen, and the added spring rate of 4th gen lowering springs requires more damping rate. After all, shocks are spring dampers more than shock absorbers (an American, made-up name)
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote for Sam's revalves, I love how he set mine up, rides great.