Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

will just a 1 in. drop hurt traction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will just a 1 in. drop hurt traction?

Im lookin at dropping my car an inch with BMR springs mainly cause im running TD's and i dont really want to have bad traction problems, but will just an inch drop hurt me?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

in theory yes, just because its a stiffer spring rate. I have LT1 prokit on my car, and i havnt been to the track since i lowered it, so i cant tell you if it seemed to hurt my 60' or not. I would imagine going from stock suspension to a 1" drop isnt going to make a huge difference. Its not like your going from an all out drag setup to a all out autoX setup. Maybe some others could chip in their before and after 60' times
Old 01-22-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

You will most likely lose traction with any lowering spring, due to the increasing angle of the LCA's going up...but nothing some RLB's cant help. Although you should definitely get better handling due to a lower center of gravity.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Answer is yes, you will lose traction when you lower the car. Not for just one reason, but many.

Higher spring rate. Lower Cg. Both of those hurt weight transfer. Geometry changes, and that can hurt the grip as well. Frankly, most of the time it's #1 that's the biggest issue. Not sure why folks don't understand that they same way stiffer springs make the car roll less, the make it squat less... But they don't.

What's your primary goal? Have you researched enough to find you can lower the car a bit with stock springs? Do you know there are springs that have lighter spring rates than the ones you metioned?

I'm not saying you shouldn't lower the car. I'm saying that you have to consider why you want to, what you do with the car, and what's most important. Also, you need to consider what you are going to do with shocks. Lowering the car means you need much better shocks. The higher the spring rate, the fewer options you give yourself for shocks that work properly.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam I really need to give you a call in the next few days to get some ideas. I haven't heard anything but good things about you.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Good to hear... Word of mouth is the best advertising.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For sure SAM I was so glad to get a chance to talk to you. You made many valid points I had overlooked. Can't tell ya how much that means to me !! Talk to you soon, weather is nice so I'm going for a cruise this weekend.

I was just reading that thread on stock springs with koni shocks and I really like the stance of the pics posted by another member. Plus the ride is improved Duh !! lol Time to get rid of that floating feeling and body roll ( braking while cornering) plus the nose dips on straight line braking. Kinda like the plow on my truck (shortbed) I'm thinking shocks and front sway bar for starters.

I guess the best way to explain what I weant to improve is dampening the jolt when I hit a bump and it feels like the time it takes to return to "relaxed state" after I hit the bump takes FOREVER. It's like my 3800 lbs. turd wants to fly.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

shocks, shocks, shocks. You're damping sucks (surprise, surprise)... Easily fixed with the correct damper application. Honestly, most any shock would make it better. But better isn't fixed. Too many folks just make snap decisions, or decide without all the info and buy a shock that, while an upgrade from the absolutely disgraceful stock shocks, are not always as good as they really should have.

This is why we use differenct shocks for different people. Situations are different. Budgets are different, parts are different.....

Quick Reply: will just a 1 in. drop hurt traction?