Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I modded w/o checking here 1st

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I modded w/o checking here 1st

I replaced my shocks and springs about a year ago without checking here first. Big mistake! I bought BMR lowering springs, Bilstein HD's, a BMR adjustable panhard rod, and BMR bolt-in relocation brackets. The ride of the car now is terrible! It bangs and creaks and rattles and feels like it's going to shake to pieces. I've been kidding myself saying it's a higher spring rate it's suppose to be like that, it shouldn't. My question is; should I replace the shocks, springs or both to correct this situation? I don't really want to spend a fortune, but I can't stand the ride anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm no fan of the BMR springs, and a change in springs would help. But the fact is the majority of the problem is the shocks. Not meant to be run with lowered springs. Despite the fact many do, you have it and clearly don't like it.

Shocks are the single most critical part of a properly working suspension. Just look at the posts of those who have installed shocks. When proper parts are used, the shocks alone vastly change the car's driveability

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input! Like I said, I usually research before I buy, but this time I didn't and got bit! Do you have any suggestions? Would a switch to the Eibach Drag Launch springs help or hurt? Should I just replace everything and start over? I was thinking about the SLP springs and re-valved Bilsteins.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not in the business of recommending parts by e-mail. It's the lack of information and detail that got you into this mess to begin with. I can't get a good idea of what you want most from the car, or what you know about how this stuff works. But (and no offense meant), with the items you listed as possibles I'm thinking a discussion of parts would be good.

I have a tech-line for folks to use just for instances like this. It's not any of my toll-free lines. Much as I don't mind informing potential customers for free, I don't feel the burning need to pay to give away my information. All I ask is you consider what I have to say practically, and that when you decide to do something you simply give me an opprotunity for the sale.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

My BMR springs ride fine. Like Sam said it has a lot to do with the shocks. I'm running Koni SA's and I'm happy with the ride
Old 01-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to save Sam some time, the current consensus here is that bilsteins aernt meant to be run with lowering springs, period. i think it says it somewhere on their site actually... revalved HDs are a better option, as they are perticularly set for lowering springs. Correct me if im wrong here, but what occurs is that the car puts a lot of stress/weight on springs, i suppose to set the ride height and to help ease the burden on the shocks. With lower springs, more weight is on the shocks, thus making them ride lower and deteriate them faster. With shocks revalved for lower springs (revalved means changed to compensate for a lower spring, maybe they take some gas out? idk teh process), essentially, they put the burden back on the springs.. Koni are supposed to be great because of hteir adjustability..but revalved are a cheaper alternative (but not by much) i have HDs sitting in my garage using stock springs, so i wiont see the difference until i install them..
Old 01-30-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys! Sam, no offense taken and I will give you a call to discuss my options with you. You certainly deserve first shot at a sale given the fact that you're on here helping people out! I've got to leave for work in about a half hour, so I'll give a call tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sam is a great person to deal with. I picked up my Koni's from him and the customer service is an A+.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast01
I replaced my shocks and springs about a year ago without checking here first. Big mistake! I bought BMR lowering springs, Bilstein HD's, a BMR adjustable panhard rod, and BMR bolt-in relocation brackets. The ride of the car now is terrible! It bangs and creaks and rattles and feels like it's going to shake to pieces. I've been kidding myself saying it's a higher spring rate it's suppose to be like that, it shouldn't. My question is; should I replace the shocks, springs or both to correct this situation? I don't really want to spend a fortune, but I can't stand the ride anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Wow, I have the exact combo you have and mine rides like a Caddilac. Did yours ride like this from the get-go or just after a year? If mine ever gets to that point I would just get the revalved Bilsteins and call it good.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And there is the PROOF that people are individuals, and what's "good" for one is not at all acceptable for others. That's why I talk to my customers first.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast01
It bangs and creaks and rattles and feels like it's going to shake to pieces.
That sounds like the BMR mounts have disintegrated.

Quick Reply: I modded w/o checking here 1st