Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB and Pro-line

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB and Pro-line

I was thinking of KYB agx with my pro-line? I know the Koni:s are better but i dont want to pay so much for shocks and i just want something thats better than stock. It doesent have to be the best.

I have heard that the KYB will do the job........

Anyone, what do yo think?
Old 01-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Launching!

I have KYB's and am happy. The car handles really well, doesn't ride like stock though. They are pretty adjustable though, go from push the car to the floor to cant budge it. For the money they are the best option (I agree Konis are too expensive!!!)
Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

That's because you haven't tried Koni's.

How much did that Corsa exhaust cost you? I bet damn close to a set of Koni's, and the difference between a cheap exhaust and a Corsa is much less than the difference between AGX's and Koni's.

As far as the AGX's being adjustable. That's great. But you've had your shocks 500 miles and already are showing signs of not liking them. In your other thread (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/444340-trying-make-my-car-ride-better-help.html) you complain about the ride. You say "I only have 500 miles on the new shocks on my car now, they didnt make it ride better but they arent supposed to, they are supposed to make it handle better, which it does". That's not correct. Shocks do effect ride, even if they are performance shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Listen to Sam. Do it once and do it right. I just installed a set of Koni SA's this weekend and drove the car for a while tonight. It's a totally different car from when I had my KYB GasAJust shocks on. I feel bumps ONCE, not two or three times, and I feel like I'm in control of the car, rather than just along for the ride.

-Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Koni's are amazing. I love em...You get what you pay for
Old 01-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Launching!

I said they were the best for the money, not the best for your car. I only paid $600 installed for my Corsa, definately couldnt have had Koni shocks for that, much less installed. Not everyone has an unlimited amount of money to put into their car. As for my other thread, I have driven many MANY high performance vehicles and stiffer shocks definately do not make the car ride better, maybe close to stock, but not better. This guy asked about AGX's, he didn't want to hear everyone telling him about Konis. If he ever looked into shocks he knows how good they are.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

how much would those konis cost im looking at getting new shocks when i get my BMR lowering springs
Old 01-31-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Texas_TA
how much would those konis cost im looking at getting new shocks when i get my BMR lowering springs
I just bought a set from Sam Strano for a little over $800 shipped. I elected to go with 4th gen front and rears, but I believe he also sells them as a 4th gen front/3rd gen rear combo for a bit less money.

-Mike
Old 01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by kws87
I said they were the best for the money, not the best for your car. I only paid $600 installed for my Corsa, definately couldnt have had Koni shocks for that, much less installed. Not everyone has an unlimited amount of money to put into their car. As for my other thread, I have driven many MANY high performance vehicles and stiffer shocks definately do not make the car ride better, maybe close to stock, but not better. This guy asked about AGX's, he didn't want to hear everyone telling him about Konis. If he ever looked into shocks he knows how good they are.
You could have had Revalves for that. And it's not that far to Koni's. The point is you could have bought a cheaper exhaust based on the train of thought you are using for the shocks.

And frankly goods shocks do improve the ride, most especially the really sharpp, short impacts from RR tracks, expansion joints and so on. The car is firm, but they also damp out the thing that hurt most.

The guy asked about AGX's, you are right. However, he also asked if they'd do the job. I guess they do, but not all that well. And when I spend money, I want it to be on something that works well. Not something that's semi-ok. I have a large number of folks who have come to me to replace parts bought after saying things based on "doesn't have to be that great" or "I just want something ok". That's money wasted, not saved. More labor. More freight. Yes, more total cost for Koni's. But he has less costly options like a set of Revalves. Not a ton more $$$ than AGX's, and a way better damper.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Launching!

$300 and $800 is big difference for me......yes koni is the best, but i want something better than stock nothing else. I want it to handle a little better thats all. If i had the funding i would get konis but i dont... and i want better shocks now not later....thanx for the advice tho. All i want to now is if the KyB are better than stock and if i can tell any differance. BUt you say its better so i´m happy with that, you should have said they are junk and i would have thought about bilsteins

If pay 200 more i can get revalved bilsteins, and if i only pay 300 more i will get the konis yay

I know that if i saved a little bit more i could get a corvette instead of a trans am

Last edited by Doski; 01-31-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bilstein HD's are better shocks, and about the same price. You also say you are happy with the shocks, yet complain about the ride. Ok, fine.

Koni's are not all $800. You can do them for $700. You can do Revalves for $500, and HD's for $329, though not great for lowered cars, but not worse than AGX's.

Spend your money however you like. Really. However, you shouldn't get bent out of shape at the rest of us who pointed out different ideas, or findings relative to the AGX's he ask about and how they relate to his situation.

There is a thread here in which two people have the very same setups. One HATES it, the other really LIKES it. You claim to like yours, that's fine. You get what you pay for, and when you pay the same for adjustable KYB's vs. non-adjustable Bilstein's you have to wonder just what kind of R&D and parts are used in the KYB's... don't you?

Old 01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

well look at what most of the guys are telling you "you get what you pay for" is somthing you should always remember i admit im a noob at suspension but you know what the best thing for you to do is??? find someone that acctually knows these cars and how they can be set up

i have talked with sam a few times and he is very helpful and will tell you straight up what you want................of course make sure you know EXACTLY what you wanna do with the car
Old 01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you want specifc setup advice or recommendations, then I need to specifically know how the car is used. The more different things one does and wants, the more compromised things become. Including recommendations. Many will tell you how something is the cat's *** and work just great for EVERYTHING. I'm a realist and some things work better in certain situations.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Sam obviously doesn't like Corsa, maybe he doesnt carry it! Anyway, what Sam failed to mention in all his wisdom was that when I had my suspension changed I also added SFC and STB which make you feel everything throughout the whole car. I have stiffened my frame up pretty well. They are the best value out there and that is the answer to your question. Konis are better but also much more expensive and revavled dont offer adjustability. Good luck with the shocks
Old 01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Um............. ok
Corsa is fine, and I do sell it but I'm wondering where that came from and why. It was simply and example of how folks don't mind spending money on X but refuse to on Y. The reasoning was "bang for the buck". Truth is you'll get just as much power from a much cheaper system as from the Corsa. He paid for looks and sound and quality, but not performance. That's 100% fine. It's part of the decision.

Shocks aren't about looks. It's about how they work and what the do to help. Yet, folks just get hung up on cost. I understand cost is not a small consideration. And Koni's are great, but not the only option. There are cheaper options than Koni's that are better dampers than AGX's if that's what you want.

I find it funny that the only ones arguing the point here are the ones who have the AGX's (and I assume have had nothing other than stock). Anyone who's had AGX's vs. something better knows the difference.

And as for the SFC's and STB's that you added. Those things do not make the car ride harder. Hard ride is the suspension, not the chassis. Actually the stiffer the chassis the better the car should ride because it makes the springs and shocks work more effectively.

AGX's are cheap, chintzy shocks IMHO. I do carry them (some people can't be convinced). I won't ever personally use them. For the same money you'd be WAY better off with Bilstein's or even Tokico's.....

Old 01-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Launching!

I've actually ridden in cars with Bilstein, Konis, and Tokicos. I dont like the Bilsteins because if you dont like it there is no adjusting anything, and they ride terrible with lowering springs. Tokicos were about the same ride as the Bilsteins IMO, and they really arent better quality than the KYB's. And we all know how nice the konis are. We all know what happens when you assume....

*edit* If you wont ever personally use them, how can you form an opinion on them?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tokico are better than KYB. I sell both and know which I get more warranty claims on. But what do I know.

Bilstein's aren't meant for lowering springs. I'm the last person you need to tell they aren't great with lowering springs. On the other hand, are you comparing like setups except for the shocks? Do you know what other parts were on those cars? If we are going to compare, lets make sure it's apples to apples.

I said I won't personally use them.... Not that I *HAVEN'T* used them. We've run AGX's on Camaro's, MR2, an Eclipse and a Mustang. And FWIW, at least one failed on 3 of the 4 cars. Ironically the Camaro was the one they didn't. But they were only on about a month before the owner opted for Koni's to replace them as did the MR2 and Mustang guys, the Eclipse went for Tokico Illumina's. And FWIW, the Tokico's on #2 of 5 settings had better control than the AGX's did @ full stiff. And the ride was no comparision.

Bottom line, I'm not saying any of this because I don't carry the other shocks. I do, and more like Edelbrock, Monroe and others too. You want a crappy shock, I'll sell it to you. I just prefer to sell good product first. Shoot me.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok Sam...so for the money, considering the car is lowered (Eibach Pro Kit) whats the best shock for me in the AGX-price range?

My car is not a daily driver, its my weekend car, but still a street car, when I drive it on the weekend I do want it to handle better and improve my ride.

I cant afford Konis or Revalved Bilsteins...so whats my best option?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If they are LS1 Pro-kits, I'd rather see you on HD's than AGX's. Neither is optimal, and I'm not saying that HD's are. I'm saying they are better overall than AGX's are.

But frankly, you can't make wine from water and you are wanting to pay for water. This is why the suspension should be thought out as a package. Folks toss on X spring without regard to the shocks. Then they realize they need some shocks for the springs, but then are left with no money to buy them (or don't want to spend on them).

Old 02-01-2006, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

I just got off the phone with sam. He talked to me for over 30 minutes without hesitation of wasting his time even though he knew I wasnt buying anything today. Most places I call wont listen to you near that long, they are ready to get you off the phone as soon as you call. I called him actually thinking I needed to spend over twice as much as I did. He would not try and sell something that you dont need, like I said he told me not to buy several things I thought I needed.

Quick Reply: KYB and Pro-line