Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding the Brakes......Are there any good write ups/articles on this procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bleeding the Brakes......Are there any good write ups/articles on this procedure?

Pretty much what the title says,.....I'm swapping out to the C5 rotors and am also putting in the longer lines. I figure I would have to bleed the brakes, and I would live to do this correctly .

I tried searching but didn't really find any good write ups. Please help.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When bleeding the brakes start with the caliper farthest from the master cylinder (passenger side rear). Then go to the drivers side rear next, followed by the passenger side front and lastly the drivers side front. All the while be sure to check the master cylinder so that it does not run to low on fluid.

1.)When you begin bleeding the brakes (if your system is dry of fluid) fill up the master cylinder. (Have someone in the car ready to press the brake pedal for ya.)

2.)You (at the caliper) open the bleeder screw have the person in the car press the brake pedal slowly with modest pressure until fluid comes out. Then close the bleeder screw and begin the bleeding process.

3.)Actual bleeding of the brakes: Have the person in the car once again press the brake pedal to the floor (once) and hold it.

4.)You then open the bleeder screw for a second allowing the air in the line to escape, then close the bleeder screw.

5.)Your friend removes his foot from the brake.

6.)Repeat this process on all calipers until all the air is out of all the lines.

This write up is per BAER brakes. I just installed the GT+ kit and following these guidelines and pedal pressure came out great.
P.S. make sure you get a piece of clear plastic hose that will connect to the bleeder screw and down into some sort can/bottle. This keeps things nice and clean, as you don't want brake fluid squirting all over the place.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a good article too:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...edbrakes.shtml
Old 01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Here's another one:

http://www.carcentral.net/content/gu...rakeSystem.php
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL, ya I shoulda posted the link and saved myself the typing.

So here it is...http://baer.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/0...01870700010663
Old 01-31-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

another question-same topic-tried searching but couldnt find it, the solo bleeders that are available, i dont know where to find them?, also is it worth it to get them and how exactly are they used?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Thunder Racing has them.

They're basically one way valves that only allow the fluid to flow out and air to not get in.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only problem I see with those things is that you can't tell when all the air is out of each line. You will begin to know when the pedal becomes firmer but you really can't know for sure unless you are at each caliper looking at the hose IMO.

Quick Reply: Bleeding the Brakes......Are there any good write ups/articles on this procedure?