Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel Mounted Torque Arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel Mounted Torque Arms

I recently installed the UMI Performance tunnel mounted torque arm with the drive shaft loop. I have Jet-Hot longtubes, Hooker ORY, Moser 12 rear. I love the feel of the torque arm, but cannot stand the bad vibrations I get from about 80 mph on up. Also, the clunking noise from just normal driving. The clunking is not there if i ride the clutch a little when I shift. For the vibration, the car feels like it is going to blow up. I have not gone to the track yet, but the way it feels on the street under WOT, I think it's going to rattle my teeth out at the track. Oh yeah I also am running -3 on the pinion angle. Anyone else have this issue with theirs?

Dave
Old 01-31-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

i basically had all the same issues as you with the spohn unit... then about after a month of driving they all went away . thank god cuz those noises were rough but within a few weeks you get used to it. anyways hope you have the same luck. (oh and i hear you should have it at -2 instead of -3 but i suppose it all depends of amount of driving)
Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, I get the same vibrations at around the same MPH with that set-up. I noticed more in 5th gear (M6) then any other gear, I also run mine most of the time at -2.5 to -3. We found after taking some time with adjusting that for the street this item needs to be operated around 0 to -1 degrees. We have found this setting the reduce and eliminate the vibrations. Also for the clunking, torque the front pivot points just a little bit more that should clear it up. After tuning these torque arms in we have been able to make them as streetable as the stock arm.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 01-31-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Dave, I get the same vibrations at around the same MPH with that set-up. I noticed more in 5th gear (M6) then any other gear, I also run mine most of the time at -2.5 to -3. We found after taking some time with adjusting that for the street this item needs to be operated around 0 to -1 degrees. We have found this setting the reduce and eliminate the vibrations. Also for the clunking, torque the front pivot points just a little bit more that should clear it up. After tuning these torque arms in we have been able to make them as streetable as the stock arm.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Good information. I have the same unit, except by Spohn (sorry, you folks weren't around when I bought mine), and have had a heck of a time with the vibration. I'm about ready to change back to the other style to see if that works. I've also added 1/2 inch thick rubber spacers in an effort to reduce vibration. I discovered the same as you mentioned about the clunking-tighten until it stops. Now to play with the pinion setting some more...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Can you please specify your measurement method for pinion angle? There are several different ways depending on who's doing the talking.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

Ryan, thanks for the input. As CW00BlackTA stated, are you using the method as stated in your directions? I used the measurement from the bottom of the tranny and then from the bottom of the rear/torque arm bracket. My tranny is zero so I then ste my rear at -3. I am going with Ryans advice and try -1 and retighten the bolts at the tunnel brace more.

Dave
Old 02-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

i currently have a tunnel mounted t/a from spohn and i also have vibration proplems when i hit 5th & 6th gear, my pinion angle is set -4 for track use and i have a spherical rod end mount which makes the feeling of the vibration even worse, but when under high rpms at the track the vibration gose away.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

how much ground clearence did yall lose?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't loose any ground clearance. I'm running a standard (straight) cross member
with Pacesetters and 3 point SFCs. I was worried about everything clearing but it did.
My SFCs hang lower then the TA. UMI has designed an EXCELLENT product.

Hawk

Last edited by 227Hawk; 02-21-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Tunnel Mounted Torque Arms