Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano/Koni - I'm a believer

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Strano/Koni - I'm a believer

For the past three days, I have fallen in love with driving my car all over again, and it's all thanks to my new Koni SA's. Without changing anything else on the car (aside from polishing my calipers a little), I installed a set of 4th gen front and rear Koni SA shocks, and the difference is night and day. These replaced a set of KYB GasAJust shocks, which I knew were too soft for the Hotchkis springs, but I had no idea just how much better the Koni's would be.

What are the specific differences?
  • Smaller bumps make an impact on the tires, but I don't feel them anywhere beyond that
  • I feel larger bumps ONCE, instead of two or three times
  • Bumps and valleys that used to cause my nose or exhaust to scrape no longer do so, simply because the shocks are now controlling the car better
  • The rearend doesn't feel nearly as "floaty" as it did before
I wasn't sure they would be worth the cost until I went on my second test drive. On the first drive, the rearend was really "bouncy". I thought (skeptically), 'Well, let's see if the adjustment **** actually does anything'. I dialed the rear shocks all the way back to full soft, then gave them a full turn toward firm (I started them on half a turn) and it made a noticeable difference. Noticeable enough to make the rearend feel more planted and make me very happy with the ride.

The bottom line is this: I've seen lots of posts (and I've contributed to a few myself) where people ask if they can "get by" with stock shocks (or other aftermarket shocks) with lowering springs. I've seen lots of posts where people complain about the price of Koni's, saying $800 is too much to pay for shocks. Can you "get by" with different shocks? Sure! But I now know from experience that once you've actually driven a car with shocks that are "intended for" (to borrow a term from Bilstein's manual) the application, you won't want to go back.

Thanks to Sam Strano for taking the time to talk to me about my purchase and giving me good information to make the decision.

-Mike
Old 02-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are highly underestimating the power of polished calipers...that alone could have made all the difference

I was torn at first on whether to get the Koni's or revalved Bilsteins, and I went with the Bilsteins. Now I'm wondering if even I should upgrade

Glad to hear you are happy.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you made a good decision on getting the right shocks. I'm waiting for my Bilsteins (stock shocks) to arrive so I can install them and see if I notice a difference in the ride.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experience. For quite a while I've had people looking at me like I grew a second head when I suggested that they consider Koni's for thier car. I always hear that it's too expensive, etc. But nobody really minds spending $1,400+ on heads....

It really helps when others have the same experience. Maybe that second head will soon disappear.....

It sounds like Sam fixed you up (as he's good at doing).

Last edited by trackbird; 02-02-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've told people that you CAN get by on different shocks and be just fine but you never know what you are really missing out on. I think it's funny that you said the same thing I always say.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
...I was torn at first on whether to get the Koni's or revalved Bilsteins, and I went with the Bilsteins. Now I'm wondering if even I should upgrade ......
Ive often wonderd the same thing....I dont really have any complaints about the Bilstiens...

My "Ride Quality" seems better at speed than it does cruzing around town..its kinda "stoney" at low speeds and rough surfaces..the wheels seem to "pound" pot holes....but at speed the car really feels planted.. the springs do keep the wheels planted....Even if i do seem to catch negative G's when I go over an abrupt "woop'tie"...at speed..im not seeing and "Floating" or "hobbie horsing"

Cornering the car too seems to be handeling as expected.. ( note...I need to look at a Strano front bar) I do get abit of body roll but thats not the springs or shocks job...

It would be nice to have the wheels step thru pot holes..but I think what Imexperiencing is very stiff springs doing thier job..Im hoping Sam see's thsi thread and can give some input...
Old 02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I think you are highly underestimating the power of polished calipers...that alone could have made all the difference

I was torn at first on whether to get the Koni's or revalved Bilsteins, and I went with the Bilsteins. Now I'm wondering if even I should upgrade

Glad to hear you are happy.
From my experience with Koni's (no longer have them, but had them for at least 20K), they are great shocks, however the real matter is if what ever you have is reliable, consistent, and has the proper valving for the spring rates/spring heights you have. If you have OEM non-adjustible springs, then you could find some use for the adjustments, however you might see the whole purpose of the adjustibles if you use coil-overs and that's a whole other situation.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
For the past three days, I have fallen in love with driving my car all over again, and it's all thanks to my new Koni SA's. Without changing anything else on the car (aside from polishing my calipers a little), I installed a set of 4th gen front and rear Koni SA shocks, and the difference is night and day. These replaced a set of KYB GasAJust shocks, which I knew were too soft for the Hotchkis springs, but I had no idea just how much better the Koni's would be.

What are the specific differences?
  • Smaller bumps make an impact on the tires, but I don't feel them anywhere beyond that
  • I feel larger bumps ONCE, instead of two or three times
  • Bumps and valleys that used to cause my nose or exhaust to scrape no longer do so, simply because the shocks are now controlling the car better
  • The rearend doesn't feel nearly as "floaty" as it did before
I wasn't sure they would be worth the cost until I went on my second test drive. On the first drive, the rearend was really "bouncy". I thought (skeptically), 'Well, let's see if the adjustment **** actually does anything'. I dialed the rear shocks all the way back to full soft, then gave them a full turn toward firm (I started them on half a turn) and it made a noticeable difference. Noticeable enough to make the rearend feel more planted and make me very happy with the ride.

The bottom line is this: I've seen lots of posts (and I've contributed to a few myself) where people ask if they can "get by" with stock shocks (or other aftermarket shocks) with lowering springs. I've seen lots of posts where people complain about the price of Koni's, saying $800 is too much to pay for shocks. Can you "get by" with different shocks? Sure! But I now know from experience that once you've actually driven a car with shocks that are "intended for" (to borrow a term from Bilstein's manual) the application, you won't want to go back.

Thanks to Sam Strano for taking the time to talk to me about my purchase and giving me good information to make the decision.

-Mike
Good write up. I will be getting some lowering springs (have no clue which ones as people just recommend whatever they are running) and am considering doing shocks at the same time.

Do your Koni's help you launch better as well as improve your handling, or is it a give and take deal?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I haven't done any hard launches yet, but since they're adjustable, I can set them for a firm ride when street driving, then set the fronts a little softer for better weight transfer when launching.

-Mike
Old 02-02-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm....good point.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that because now I want some.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chupr0kabra. U have any pics of ur ride height. My intial plan was to go with koni sa with hotckiss springs. Im planning on ordering some qtp long tubes with catted x-pipe and i was wonder if u have any clearance issue with the hotckiss/LT setup.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BitViper
..Im hoping Sam see's thsi thread and can give some input...
I thought that guy saw every thread. That guy must make his whole living off of this site. If he's as good as everyone says he is...
Old 02-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BitViper
..Im hoping Sam see's thsi thread and can give some input...
I thought that guy saw every thread. That guy must make his whole living off of this site. If he's as good as everyone says he is...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Tobynine9

He is that good.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
chupr0kabra. U have any pics of ur ride height. My intial plan was to go with koni sa with hotckiss springs. Im planning on ordering some qtp long tubes with catted x-pipe and i was wonder if u have any clearance issue with the hotckiss/LT setup.
I'm planning to detail the car this weekend, so I'll take some pictures then. I've had some clearance issues with my y-pipe (TSP catted y), but the new shocks have helped tremendously with the scraping.

-Mike
Old 02-03-2006, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I wish I made a living off this site. But I don't, which is why I can't always answer, or answer in a timely fashion.... I have other things cooking too (I type between phone calls).

BitViper. Do I think the car would be better with Koni's? Hell yes. The negative G's you experience, which most folks term as feeling light would be so much better it's not funny. The stiff springs do add to ride harshness, you are correct... that's one reason I don't run rear springs that stiff. I do run front springs that stiff and stiffer, and the cars ride very well. Shocks do a ton in the realm of impact harshness. And I'm 100% confident the car does do some of those other things, you just don't recognize them as weaknesses.

Bottom line is you know that Bilstein HD's aren't meant for lowered springs. You not only have lower spring (and a lot lower), but pretty high rate springs. Are they passable? I guess so to a lot of people. Not to me. Hell a lot of folks love the way a Caddy or a Town Car rides. The biggest single issue here is that it isn't easy for folks to experience good dampers. They tend to look at shocks as all the same because they look pretty much the same and are *supposed* to do the same job. But camshafts look pretty much the same. Brake Pads, rotors, tires and so on.

Anyway.... Mike: It's great to hear you like your shocks so much. And let me say thanks for not only taking the time to write about your findings (including what just a rear shock damping adjustment can do), but for the pat on the back. That means a ton, and you can't get better advertising then good word of mouth. So thank you, and it was my pleasure.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Koni shocks kick ***, period.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool write up. thanks for the info! I'll be getting revalves when it comes time... don't know if I want to spend the extra on konis, but I don't doubt they rock
Old 02-05-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strano is definitely a great source of knowledge when it comes to making these cars handle better! I also have Konis SAs (4th gen front, 3rd gen rear), they were a great improvement over my worn out SLP valved Bilsteins! I also like the look with the front springs on the lower perch as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bshell
Strano is definitely a great source of knowledge when it comes to making these cars handle better! I also have Konis SAs, 4th gen front, 3rd gen rear.
I talked to Sam when I started doing my suspension and went with his recommendations, and input from people on the board. As you can see in my sig I have parts from both Strano and Trackbird. My car rides about as hard as an SLP SS or WS6, but handles better, and sits lower. It wasn't the cheapest route, but well worth the money to get the ride height and ride quality I wanted.

Quick Reply: Strano/Koni - I'm a believer