Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Gripforce cross-drilled and slotted rotors?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gripforce cross-drilled and slotted rotors?????

I found these Gripforce cross-drilled and slotted rotors on ebay. I was wondering if anyone has used these before???? Are they decent????? The price is dirt cheep, Thats what's got me wondering.... TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...34735615QQrdZ1
Old 02-05-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drilled rotors get stress cracks.. get the slotted if you are set on one or the other..
Old 02-05-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
drilled rotors get stress cracks.. get the slotted if you are set on one or the other..
I am aware of the risks with drilled rotors. I want drilled/slotted I am asking about the quality of these rotors (this brand)
Old 02-07-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

BUMP! Anyone?
Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I don't know about those rotors, but I did buy cross drilled rotors from a seller on Ebay. They work great, but they are supposedly zinc coated and are not. No problem with craks or anything.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay guys. The cross drilling and slotting not only increases the risk of stress risers, but also significantly decrease pad thickness through much of the shaving. FWIW, there is NO performance gain, and I and other AX and RRer's know, especially since our sports tend to use brakes a lot. If you like the looks, okay, but there is no significant performance gain from the rotor face patterns, no matter what any user testimony may want to say.

The Zinc coating on the friction face will evevntually buff off, however if there was any rust on the rotor face, it would be eventually be buffed off as well. Therefore the Zinc coating helps much more with the surfaces that don't involve the friction of braking by yielding less corrosion, however the corrosion on the inside of the internal ventilation hasn't hindered the cooling properties of the rotor by much.

In short, if you want looks and don't mind risking a sacrifice in performance and/or reliability, get rotors with those fancy features. If you are concerned with improving braking performance by cost effective brake modification alone, then be concerned with rotor swept area and brake pad compound. If you want those rotors buy them for looks, not for performance increase. Any possible results any will claim with the rotors themselves will be mostly placebo effects.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, Now thats a right up LOL. Makes sense and very good points, I do want them for the looks factor. It's not my DD or my race car just a cruzer that comes out a few times a month.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Okay guys. The cross drilling and slotting not only increases the risk of stress risers, but also significantly decrease pad thickness through much of the shaving. FWIW, there is NO performance gain, and I and other AX and RRer's know, especially since our sports tend to use brakes a lot. If you like the looks, okay, but there is no significant performance gain from the rotor face patterns, no matter what any user testimony may want to say.

The Zinc coating on the friction face will evevntually buff off, however if there was any rust on the rotor face, it would be eventually be buffed off as well. Therefore the Zinc coating helps much more with the surfaces that don't involve the friction of braking by yielding less corrosion, however the corrosion on the inside of the internal ventilation hasn't hindered the cooling properties of the rotor by much.

In short, if you want looks and don't mind risking a sacrifice in performance and/or reliability, get rotors with those fancy features. If you are concerned with improving braking performance by cost effective brake modification alone, then be concerned with rotor swept area and brake pad compound. If you want those rotors buy them for looks, not for performance increase. Any possible results any will claim with the rotors themselves will be mostly placebo effects.
Great comments. Echo's my experience.

It just you forgot the one thing that goes against getting them for the looks- an INCREASE in brake dust. Of course, if you don't mind cleaning your wheels after everytime you go out, it shouldn't be an issue either...
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

i just picked up a set called and orderd some for 170 shipped to my door cant go rong they look great lets see how they work!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3.8SFITURBO
I found these Gripforce cross-drilled and slotted rotors on ebay. I was wondering if anyone has used these before???? Are they decent????? The price is dirt cheep, Thats what's got me wondering.... TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...34735615QQrdZ1

Answering your original question: I bought these about a year ago. I've had NO problems with them, as far as cracks. They have warped within the last month, but in that year I've put 50,000+ miles on my car so I think I got my money's worth. Getting ready to buy another set from them. They look great with my TT2's and painted calipers!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

sweeeeeeeet!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXP Lover
Great comments. Echo's my experience.

It just you forgot the one thing that goes against getting them for the looks- an INCREASE in brake dust. Of course, if you don't mind cleaning your wheels after everytime you go out, it shouldn't be an issue either...
Outstanding point, however it should be understood that if one type of pad's life is significantly decreased through the shaving, then it should be obvious that brake dust will be significantly increased due to that effect (of course you knew better, however there are many that don't quite think along certain parameters of this logic).
Old 06-01-2006, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

well my mechanic got them on today and said that they are warped from the factory ....and they squeek with hawkpads in the front!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I bought Baer Eradispeed front rotors on eBay, new, shipped to my door for $300. I know they were more money but over one year now, no cracks, no warping and great performance, rear ones are $280 just my .02...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BAER-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TondSS
well my mechanic got them on today and said that they are warped from the factory ....and they squeek with hawkpads in the front!
AFA the rotors being warped from the factory, that is not uncommon for many non floating rotors. The thing that can be done is to have them resurfaced before installation, however AFA the drills/slots/etc., the slots will be slightly less evident and so will any chamfering of the holes. AFA hawks squeeking, I haven't had that problem, however I'm not sure if you've had your whole brake caliper inspected as well. Possibly some anti-squeel could help, however that too may not alleviate the squeeling entirely.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Told you they blow
Old 06-03-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

actually there fine and i like them alot better then the stock they stopped sqilling and when i brake it feels like stock again but stops faster and alooooooooot smoother!
finally got to try them for my self!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually there fine and i like them alot better then the stock they stopped sqilling and when i brake it feels like stock again but stops faster and alooooooooot smoother!
finally got to try them for my self!
Your rotors actually ADD braking distance. Your pads are the only thing that will help your stopping distance , so it is probably a wash considering you have better stopping pads.....and rotors that ADD distance to your stop.

Quick Reply: Gripforce cross-drilled and slotted rotors?????