Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stainless brake lines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless brake lines.

How many of ya'll are runnin' 'em and can you tell a difference?If so which ones you got and how hard are they to install.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

I have Earl's. I don't really know if they are worth it because I have yet to make it to a road course.
They are not bad at all to install and probobly worth it as long as you track your car a lot.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Or just want to feel what your brakes are actually like...
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had Earl's lines on mine since 1999 and added the speed bleeders a year or so ago. Not a single problem and the bleeders work great. Can I tell the difference? No. Do I open track? No.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Thanks,I'll spend that money somewhere else.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I've had Earl's lines on mine since 1999 and added the speed bleeders a year or so ago. Not a single problem and the bleeders work great. Can I tell the difference? No. Do I open track? No.
You're kidding, I hope. I added the Earl's lines and HPS pads. Damn near gave myself whiplash after that. The brake pedal is firm as hell after adding the stainless lines. My stopping distance at the track went from "oh crap, hope I can stop before the turnoff" to having about 100' to spare. They DEFINETLY made a difference. The pads contributed to this, but the pedal feel was due to the stainless lines.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

People mention a firm pedal after the install... But is it harder to push the brake down now?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Veteran

no difference here.

I drive in the north with salt and the swap wa not easy; used a heat gun and liquid wrench 4 or 5 times before each line broke loose.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

T-Rex, what are you using them for? If you're just stopping at redlights on the street, probably not worth it. After all, you're going to just hit the brakes hard enough to make you stop, in a straight lint.

For autox, I'd say spend your money elsewhere. They're not bad, but most of the time you're trying to stop in a straight line and putting the pedal to the floor. Stainless lines will not give you any more stopping power than rubber.

But, for track use, they're very helpful. SS lines don't expand, meaning that every twitch of your pedal means a corresponding change to the pressure applied at the pads. Also, it means that you'll feel more feedback coming back through the brake pedal, so you know what's going on at the wheels (are your pads getting too hot, is your rotor warped, etc.).

This is especially important when you're in the middle of a corner and are just trying to brake at 43% so you can get the nose to tuck into the corner a bit more. You can't get 43% with rubber lines because of the mushy pedal feel caused by minute expansions and contractions of the rubber lines. You can get 50%, which is going to scrub off too much speed and hurt corner exit. You can get 40%, which isn't enough and will make you miss the apex of the corner. But, you just can't hit 43% every time.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

I thought rubber lines do not expand since they contain a braided liner and must meet federally approved specs; right?

Anyway; I suppose they are a cheap upgrade that won't "brake" the bank.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll notice a more consistent brake pedal (predictable?) using steel on a road course over rubber. On the street I don't notice any difference as I'm not doing 100 hard stops in 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Stainless brake lines.