Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone break PHB end links????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone break PHB end links????

ok has anyone ever seen this happen to their BMR PHB????
this past summer i was griving to work and all of the sudden while taking a off ramp from the hwy i had a severe tire rubbing from the rear of the and the rear of the car was all sloppy with the slight turn of the wheel. i was like WTF i got to work and took alook at the car and saw that the rear had shifted over and i was like i never seen this before, i jacked the car up and saw that the end that holds the poly bushing had cracked so i had it welded and just forgot about it till today when i was driving home and felt the same sloppy fell from the rear of the car and was like oh that weld we did 6 months ago must have let go, well took alook at it today and it was fine looked at the passenger side and saw that the same thing had happened to the other end

now this car is NOT lowered, and nothing has been done to cause this to happen like autox or any extreme driving, i would guess that its just thin metal used to hold the bushing in i just dosmissed it the first time as a odd occurance but now this thing is going in the dumpster as soon as i can order a replacement PHB tomorrow

here are the pics of it as i took it off the car before reparing it
Attached Thumbnails anyone break PHB end links????-picture001.jpg   anyone break PHB end links????-picture003.jpg   anyone break PHB end links????-picture004.jpg  
Old 02-17-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand is it?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:00 PM

lol if ya read the post and look at the pics its a BMR
Old 02-17-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thechef
lol if ya read the post and look at the pics its a BMR
I didn't notice the last pic, but I couldn't finish reading your post. Punctuation is your friend. Anyways, I have never seen that before, but it does look like the ends are extremely rusted.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That PHR looks like it's in pretty bad shape. How old is it and where do you live? Does the car see a lot of driving on salted roads because the PHR is rusted to hell. I have a Lakewood single adjustable PHR that is basically the same design as the BMR with poly bushings, and haven't had any problems with it rusting or breaking like that. Your BMR PHR looks like it rusted all the way through around the poly bushings. I've never seen anything like that before on BMR or any other companies panhard rods. I'm actually fixing to buy a new BMR double adjustable panhard rod with the rod ends. Sorry to hear about your problems though.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

chef,
I try to stay out of this forum these days, but I can guarantee you that this isn't the first time this has happened to a BMR PHR - just ask mitch...
Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh because there are millions of them sold, a few bad ones are no big deal.
Nevermind it could've fucked up your tires or sent you spinning off the road ...

It's OK ...

Don't throw it away ... BMR makes a great pry bar.

Funny thing, though ...

A similar situation with Patriot heads was damn near the end of the civilized universe ...
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Wow that sucks. What bar are you going to order? I just bought a adj. bar from UMI that looks very well built. Let us know which one you get.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dans2000SS
Wow that sucks. What bar are you going to order? I just bought a adj. bar from UMI that looks very well built. Let us know which one you get.

I plan on going with the UMI adjustable one it looks MUCH stronger

I am in CT and it does see winter conditions, and its a few years old but i should NOT have broken in my opinion
Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Ya, it looks like the metal broke apart. It had some surface rust, but doesn't look like it ruusted through. I bought the bar that can be adjusted on the car.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dans2000SS
Ya, it looks like the metal broke apart. It had some surface rust, but doesn't look like it ruusted through. I bought the bar that can be adjusted on the car.

yes it had some surface rust but it was not RUSTED through it looks like it cracked where it was welded when it was made, like i said before when it happened to the other side i just figured it was a isolated incident.
Now that it happened to the other side in the same spot i am looking to see if it happened to anyone else as i will be taking this bar off my car
Old 02-18-2006, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thechef
I plan on going with the UMI adjustable one it looks MUCH stronger

I am in CT and it does see winter conditions, and its a few years old but i should NOT have broken in my opinion
I bought my first street panhard bar from BMR between 4 1/2 to 5 years ago. It was not constructed in the same design as yours. I think possibly it is older than you think As far as looking at the UMI it is made of the same material and of the same design. How is it going to be MUCH stronger by just visual inspection?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:07 PM

I plan on going with a PHB that uses the Qa1 rod ends
Old 02-18-2006, 05:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMR manufactures high-quality components. Just like our corporation, they are leaders and inovators in their area of expertise.

Components can fail from use, there are no guarantees. This could have happened from any manufacture. What occured in your case is certainly far from the normal. I certainly nor should anyone else feel uncomfortable using BMR's products.

We manufacture rod-ended race components using Qa1 XM series rod ends (I'd say almost every manufacture uses them now at this point on these boards). Feel free to call or e-mail me if you need any help or have questions.

Last edited by steve10; 02-18-2006 at 06:15 PM.