Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

koni/revalve bil.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default koni/revalve bil.

Does the cost bother you? Do you understand what you get for the extra cost? Would you adjust them? (and you can't decide that if you don't know how it works, why you might.)
no cost doesn't really matter. i'm trying to learn, and not sure i would be big on adjustments. would only adjust if something was "noticably wrong".

is the only real difference between konis and revalves the ability to adjust?

i talked with sam earlier this week and now i'm 2nd guessing myself.
i have no problem getting the koni's either 3rd or 4th gens. if someone would like to chime in on what a good setting to start with is.

i have no problem going with the revalves if that's going to be an easier way of going with shocks. the only other question i could ask is has anyone had both so they could compare? i've got a friend with revalves and eibach springs and he says they're good for him.

if koni is the 'best' spring, what makes it worth the extra 250 or 300 bucks.
warranty? lifetime of shock? only because i can adjust?

i've got dms springs to put on a ws-6, it has stainless headers, hopefully the dms springs won't drop it too much, but main reason for dropping is ton of wheel gap. somewhere in the 400 rwhp range, i street race some, who don't.....i almost never take it to the drag strip, i probably will never road course race it. not sure if this helps or not.

i was sure i wanted koni's, sam said study more and come back. i know a lot of it is about opinion, but i'm trying to see the difference between koni's and revalves. i absolutely don't want to have to buy shocks again because i didn't get the right ones to start with.

i also understand it's a good idea to get an adjustable panhard bar and relocation brackets.

help a brother out,
rob
Old 03-01-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If money does not matter get the konis. If you want to save some, get the revalves. I think the revalves would work good for u.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

First, the easier question: I personally feel the adjustable panhard bar is a must. Your rearend WILL be off-center when you lower and even if it's "just a little", it's going to throw things out of whack. The Lower control arm relocation brackets should be bought if you have wheel hop. Some people do, some don't.

Now, for the highly charged shock debate question. I went with Koni SA's because I wanted the ability to adjust them. I don't street race, but I would eventually like to take my car to the track and/or do some cone killing. If I can jack up my car, adjust my front shocks for better weight distribution, make a few 1/4 mile passes, then jack it up again, quickly adjust, and drive home, that's huge. FOR ME. If you don't see yourself doing it, save your money and put it towards other mods. If you think you will, then save up the extra money, so you'll have no regrets.

-Mike
Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Ask yourself.... Am I the type that want's the ability to adjust, experiment or just fool around with the dampers? if so the extra $300 for the Koni's will be worth their weight in gold.... If you're the type that will never change spring rates, and want's a plug'n play shock then the revalves will be great. Oh.... Like Mike has already sugested, a PHB's a must.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

One more advantage to the koni's is that if you do not like the stance with the DMS springs then you can swap for another set of springs and not have to buy another set of revalves to match the new spring rate.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Having had both Bilsteins and Konis now, the Koni's are superior regardless of the ability to adjust them. My HDs weren't revalves but even on stock springs as they were valved for, they don't damp as well as the Koni's do set on full soft. It's hard to really appreciate unless you have felt the difference. The Bilsteins handled ok but imperfections in the road were JARRING! The Koni's have the ability to absorb impacts like I'm not accustomed to. Bumps, dips, holes, it's incredible really. If you can find somebody that has Koni's near you, go for a ride. I'm telling you, the Bilsteins may be better than stock but they're not even close to the Konis. They are worth the $$!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for some insight. i went ahead and bought the konis from sam's site.

2nd part of question would be is there a "type" of panhard bar i should get other than just adjustable, or are all adjustable fairly the same.
on sam's site it has two adjustables.....1 has race ends and is 40 bucks more.
addco? i also see umi and bmr are popular. i will probably also need relocation brackets. i've got a moser rearend in the car, if that's going to make a difference on either the adjustable panhard or relocation brackets.

rob
Old 03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, Addco has stopped making their bars... we are now using UMI's bars (and we sell them, depsite not being on the site yet). As a matter of fact we now carry all of UMI's products on top of all the others we have as well.

I always recommend the double-rod ended bars first. Less deflection, toughest parts. And quality rod-ends don't make all kinds of racket (UMI uses the same ends we used in the Addco PHB). It's $169. I told Ryan @ UMI I won't play pricing games, and that price is fair.

I wouldn't say you probably also need relocation brackets. Not everyone does, just many slap them on assuming they do. Some do. But isn't it better to know you need a part than buy one because someone says you should?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Almost forgot.... thank you for your business.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: koni/revalve bil.