Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shock options

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock options

I've been at this for a long time. Back and forth between what to get. I though I had it narrowed down, but I'm having second thoughts again

I wanted to go for a set of Koni SA's, but I don't know if that would be overkill. It's for a daily driver. It might see a track once a year. I'm NOT going to drop the car, so I'm keeping my stock WS6 springs.

I also thought about getting Strano's revalves. Aren't they designed for dropped cars though? So would revalves be unessasary for a car that isn't dropped? Would Bilstein HD's be just as good?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to go for a set of Koni SA's, but I don't know if that would be overkill.
Ive yet to hear anyone say that they were overkill..just expensive...but worth the $$ you spend...
I also thought about getting Strano's re-valves. Aren't they designed for dropped cars though?
Sam re-valves them to cope with "specific" suspension set ups..so perhaps if $$ is an issue their may be a Bilstein "re-valve" option that will give you the handling you need and save some bucks...

This kind of post is real Sam bait..I bet he'll bite soon to help you out....he's also readily accessible if you call him..god knows he he ever gets things done...answering questions on the web in at least three forums that I know about..and taking phone calls....

Last edited by BitViper; 03-07-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I would not in any way call Koni's or Revalves overkill, even with stock springs. However, they might be more than you want. I can tell you now that HD's are just don't offer the amount of rebound control I like even for just driving a stock sprung car. They aren't terrible, and much better than stock. But more base Corvette than Z06....

Revalves can and are used on stock springs quite often. They are sold mostly to folks lowering the cars, but there are instances where someone wants the extra damping control, but they aren't lowering the car. Think of them as the Bilstein Sport shock that Bilstein never built. Or think of Revalves like Koni's that I set for you, then broke so you can't adjust them. And of course, the Revalves don't have Koni's two-position front perch.

No doubt if you went HD's you'd find the car improved. Is "better" enough? That's the question. All I can do is listen to what you want, ask some questions to narrow the field and tell you my reasoning. Up to you to decide.

However, I have a little self-imposed rule. While I won't tell you you "MUST" do X, Y and Z, I also will not let you make what I consider a mistake. In short I'll give you some rope and you can decide what to do with it. But not enough to hang yourself.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-07-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Sam thanks for the input. Do you sell the revalves or the koni sa's seperately (fronts and rear)?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I certainly can, but rarely do.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:30 PM

QA-1's 12 way adjustables.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what Sam is getting ready to say about the QA-1's, however, here's a recent thread I encountered.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/463550-broken-hal-shocks.html

Now, I can say that also just recently that two friends in San Diego that were using QA-1's both broke them in that very same fashion. Their vehicles were daily drivers/drag racers (which I guess that QA-1's were meant for), and now one switched to a drag race Koni, and another to 8241 Koni SA's. Not only were they satisfied with their quality, but also their performance. They also mentioned that they didn't break the bank as badly as the QA1's.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the Koni SA's and end your worries.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by davered00ss
QA-1's 12 way adjustables.

I wonder if that's the reason why I have a message that I have to return from a man with those.... and doesn't like them at all. Which BTW, is a very, very common theme....

QA1's are terrible, lousy dampers. Look good, and you can set your height. And they transfer weight (which FWIW any worn out POS shock will do). But they are absolutely horrid in terms of damping the suspension properly. I'll leave it at that and hope beyond hope that some of the folks who've taken them off for better shocks chime in.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

If you think you might get into racing someday, go with koni single adjustables. These work really well and comfortable as a daily driver shock, but can be turned up if you ever go with a higher springrate.

If you know you won't be doing racing in the future or changing springs, getting Bilstein HDs is a good way to go.

Don't get the drag race type shocks unless you want to really get into drag racing.