Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut tower brace

hotchkis is not the same on lt1s and ls1s right? i saw some pics of the ls1s curve away from the engine? the lt1 is straight across?

am i correct? i dont want to go thru the hassle of removing my BMR just to find out it doesnt fit.

my car is a 98 z with ultra z hood.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from my knowledge, i thought 93's to 02's had the same strut tower mount position, so they should fit, at least mine did.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

see how that one curves?
Old 03-12-2006, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

no curve
Old 03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

I would think the LS1 "curved version" is not nearly as strong!

It looks great.. just a little lacking in terms of design. if your trying to brace 2 points, the easiest way (and strongest) is straight across. the curved beam would have to be eleventy billion (scientific estimation) times heavier to equal the strength of a straight beam. Plus it has "pin" joints as opposed to rigid joints of other designs...

Now if someone has access to a compression tester and 2 spare STB's we can put this matter to rest...
Old 03-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Teching In

That curve is for 96 and 97 camaro ss to clear the air filter box.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

so then the straight one fits an ls1?

anyone with pics?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

according to the hotchkis official site, top one is for lt1s minus ram airs/ss's and the bottom is for ls1s guess i got the wrong one
Old 03-12-2006, 06:41 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by H8 LUZN
I would think the LS1 "curved version" is not nearly as strong!

It looks great.. just a little lacking in terms of design. if your trying to brace 2 points, the easiest way (and strongest) is straight across. the curved beam would have to be eleventy billion (scientific estimation) times heavier to equal the strength of a straight beam. Plus it has "pin" joints as opposed to rigid joints of other designs...

Now if someone has access to a compression tester and 2 spare STB's we can put this matter to rest...
I have to disagree and agree with you at the same time. I agree that using the pin joints as opposed to welds makes it weaker but I dont think using the curved design makes it weaker for its purpose. Look at all sway bars on F-bodys.

Ive read/heard somewhere that the bends help make stronger

Old 03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
I have to disagree and agree with you at the same time. I agree that using the pin joints as opposed to welds makes it weaker but I dont think using the curved design makes it weaker for its purpose. Look at all sway bars on F-bodys.

Ive read/heard somewhere that the bends help make stronger
[/url]
The swaybars are loaded in a completely different fashion and cannot be compared.

The Strut tower brace is preventing the strut towers from getting closer together. and there is NO WAY a bent bar is stronger in compression than a comparably sized straight bar... especially being jointed the way it is and allowing rotation about the bolt.

I can do the math.. but its quite obvious.

For example... take a 1" metal tube and bend it into a U shape and take another 1" metal tube made of the same material. Take both ends of each bar and put one end on the ground and the other up in the air. Put weights on the top end on each one progressively... tell me which one fails first. It wont even be close.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:15 PM
8 Second Club

I never said it would be stronger or as strong in a compression test. "I dont think using the curved design makes it weaker for its purpose". It obvious that the hotchkis is weak looking. Either way If I bought a strut tower bar I wouldnt get a hotchkis.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fastener is a real problem. Since you have to be able to get the bolt into the joint there must be a tolerance between the bolt and brace. Just because there are two joints in that brace you are going to have a lot of movement where one side of the car can get closer to the other. Too bad they don't have a solid brace.

I think the joints are going to cause more flex than the bars giving under compression.

Too bad neither bar is tired into the firewall.

I am not sure about the bend in the bar. If you bend a bar its strength will actually go up. Strain hardening... It should be more resistance to bending if the bar was bend THAN a bar that was cast in a bent shape. Isn't there a difference there???

The straight bar is also going to bow out. It isn't magically immune to bending because of its straight shape.

Can you guys help me out on these couple of ideas? I am a little confused on what is actually going to happen and how much flex there is in this part of the body on our cars!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
The fastener is a real problem. Since you have to be able to get the bolt into the joint there must be a tolerance between the bolt and brace. Just because there are two joints in that brace you are going to have a lot of movement where one side of the car can get closer to the other. Too bad they don't have a solid brace.

I think the joints are going to cause more flex than the bars giving under compression.

Too bad neither bar is tired into the firewall.

I am not sure about the bend in the bar. If you bend a bar its strength will actually go up. Strain hardening... It should be more resistance to bending if the bar was bend THAN a bar that was cast in a bent shape. Isn't there a difference there???

The straight bar is also going to bow out. It isn't magically immune to bending because of its straight shape.

Can you guys help me out on these couple of ideas? I am a little confused on what is actually going to happen and how much flex there is in this part of the body on our cars!
Believe it or not, there is a lot of flex on any 3rd gen f-body as opposed to the immesurable, if none on the 4th Gen. Therefore, an STB on a 4th Gen is purely cosmetic and not needed, with the exception of using an aftermarket K-member (bad idea for handling) or if the car's front end was "poked" and straightened on a frame machine. This has been verified by strain guages by myself and other AX and RRers, and AXer's and RRer's put much strain on their suspensions.

The only time I've ever seen any of the STB's fail is from a front broadside collisions or a head collision, otherwise never seen any of them fail, on the street or the track. Also be advised that several 4th Gen F-body AX and RRers around don't use them and for the ones that do don't really feel that they are performing what they purport to do. I had both a 2-point and a 3-point at different intervals, only for a few thousand miles each and ever since I've had the car, I've barely had them on there. I only dry fit every now and them to see if the fit would be different, and it isn't. Most of the fit problems are usually a result of manufacturing tolerances (either car or STB) and not gradual tower flex.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aw, well when I was talking about the bars bending I meant an elastic action where it would spring back into place and not permanetly deform.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Havok2]

according to the hotchkis official site, top one is for lt1s minus ram airs/ss's and the bottom is for ls1s guess i got the wrong one [/Q
The straight ones fit all 93-02 v8 f-body's except for the 96-97 camaro SS, and the curved type will fit all 93-02 f-body's regardless of engine.

Quick Reply: strut tower brace