Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

F-body brake upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-body brake upgrades?

I'm wondering about upgrading my brakes. I don't race my car, but would like to upgrade it's capabilities. For those of you that RR or autoX your F-bodies, what is the problem with the stock brakes? Is it simply brake fade? Or do things burn up...ie glazed/warped rotors, boiled brake fluid?

So is the real problem just the handling of heat or is there a stopping issue too?

If I did upgrade my brakes, I'd like to do the vette upgrade. This seems like a fairly cheap way to upgrade to decent braking capability. But one thing I cannot find mentioned via the search function is rear brakes.

If I upgrade just the front brakes then it would seem to me that the brake bias will change and that wouldn't be ideal. Can the rear rotors be switched over to vette stuff too? Are the vette rear rotors any bigger than the F-body?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat.

Stock pads can't take continuous high speed stops because of heat saturation.

There are pads out there that can handle the heat, but are typically pretty rough on the rotors.

In my 96 CMC Firebird, I run the 98+ brake package. By rule, that is what I'm limited to. I use a stock caliper and Carbotech Pads ... XP10s and probabaly going to XP12s next purchase.

I run Wagner rotors.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Mitch, what happens to the pads as a result of that heat saturation? Do they fade and simply don't perform properly or do they glaze over or in some other way become ruined?

If running those 'pads out there that can handle the heat' on the street, are there a lot of downsides besides being rough on the rotors? I ask because I've heard that cryo treating rotors does wonders for their longevity.

Any thoughts on the vette upgrade? What about the rears...is there an upgrade for them or is an upgrade there not useful?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the vette upgrade and like the feel and stopping power for the money. Pad choice is still going to be the key.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeager
If running those 'pads out there that can handle the heat' on the street, are there a lot of downsides besides being rough on the rotors? I ask because I've heard that cryo treating rotors does wonders for their longevity.
The problem with the pads that can take serious heat is that they destroy rotors (they just grind through them) and they make lots of dust (and rotor shavings, I've seen aluminum wheels "rust" from the metal flakes that they are coated in from race pads) and they are noisy (squeak, squeal, and grinding noises).

My first hand experience with cryo treated rotors is that it did exactly nothing for them. I still chewed through the rotors in the normal amount of time and I'd save your money and skip the cryo treatment.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TB is 100% spot on.

I will also add that brake pads have an effective heat "range". On either side of that range, the pad composition does not create enough friction to work effectively.

It's not unlike a tire. A drag slick needs a lot of heat to be really sticky. Too cold and you will light them up. Too hot and they get greasey and won't stick.

Same with brake pads. A pad that can take a lot of heat, will not stop the car effectively when cold.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Like jyeager said, I am also interested in the vette upgrade but haven't seen any kits for the rear. does anyone have them?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don't need to upgrade the rear brakes.

Stoptech brake article

And, if you insist on upgrading for appearance.

Start by reading this

Those should get you started.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trackbird
You don't need to upgrade the rear brakes.

Stoptech brake article

And, if you insist on upgrading for appearance.

Start by reading this

Those should get you started.
Thankyou! That is excellent information.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

No problem at all.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

that would be a nice addition for stopping power

Quick Reply: F-body brake upgrades?