Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Loweing my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loweing my car

I plan to lower my 96 WS6 soon and i am pretty sure I'm going to go with the DMS kit. my question to you guys is how much should I be looking to pay a mechanic to do this. I know everyone is going to tell me to do it myself and save myself the cash but from what I've heard it's not that easy. I've heard it takes some air tools and such because of the amount of torque needed to tighten everything. And quite frankly I don't have the time, so I was just wondering how much I should be expecting to pay for this.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Teching In

I think it cost me around $350 or so but that included the alignment. The one time I did lower an F-body, with the help of a friend, we still had to take the front struts and springs to a Sears auto shop because of the recommended compression tool. That was only a $50 job and of course the alignment afterward.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its not as hard as you would think. I just took out the upper bolts and undid the swaybar links and everything pretty much fell out. The hardest part is spring/shock disassembly, I used a wall hount spring compressor which made it easy. If you don't have the right tools to disassemblt the fronts just take them to a shop and have them swap the springs and shocks as stated above.

The rear is nothing just jack it up and swap springs.

It took me about 4 hours by myself having never done it before.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you guys know where i could find a write up on installing springs, im going with the dms kit as well but cant afford to pay someone to install it.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go to www.ls1howto.com they should have the write up on this. It's not that hard and not worth paying someone to do it. Worst case you pay to have the front springs compressed to go back onto the shocks.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Id at least do the rears yourself. I did mine last night, my first time ever and only took a little over an hour. A local shop here would have done them for $130 for all 4 of them.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shops here charge $70 per hour and this is probably a 3-4 hour job. So around $210-$280 or so.

The rears are easy, so you could do those yourself if you wanted to save a little cash. The only thing you have to disconnect is the lower shock bolts.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take it somewhere....prepare to get bent over by people who think that what you are doing is a waste of money and that you deserve to have to pay more for being irresponsible.

I did all of mine myself and had never done it before. It isn't easy, but I felt good about it after i was done and didn't have to put up with the pissy attitudes of people at shops like above.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
If you take it somewhere....prepare to get bent over by people who think that what you are doing is a waste of money and that you deserve to have to pay more for being irresponsible.

I did all of mine myself and had never done it before. It isn't easy, but I felt good about it after i was done and didn't have to put up with the pissy attitudes of people at shops like above.

Well I wouldn't be taking it to just any shop. i would be taking it to a shop that does a lot of moding to cars, so they wouldn't think it's a waste
Old 03-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Teching In

I did my own and it was hard but not hard enough to pay 350 to get them done. you can rent the spring compressor tool from autozone and which is what i did and an electric impact took about 3.5 hours.Which isnt that bad for never having done this.