Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

About to swap rear springs, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to swap rear springs, some questions.

Hey guys,

Tomorow I'm gonna be changing out my stock springs for some BMR lowering springs. I read the how to on ls1howto.com but I have a question about the last part of the write up. It says:

Since my springs were shorter, I jacked up the rear axle about 2 inches. I then placed both springs on their perches (or in my case, put the adjustible perches on the stock perch, and then placed the spring on that). Next I jacked the rear axle up again another inch or two and checked to make sure the springs were going up correctly (they just kinda flop around until load is put on them)....continue jacking/checking until there is load on the springs.

I'm confused about the part of jacking the car up another two inches. It seems that I should just place the spring on the perch on both sides and then just lower the car back onto the ground? I just dont understand why I have to jack the car up even higher? Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!
-Patrick
Old 03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im thinking it means jack the rear end up a little more, not the car. I just changed my rear springs and I put the back end of the car on jackstands at the subframe connectors and then put the jack under the center of the rear end.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

He jacked the rear up, not the car, because he has an adjustable ride height kit from GC. You do not need to follow that step.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what ya need to do, jack up the cay via the differential. Put jack stands under the rear subframe or on the SFC's if you have them. Slowly lower the rear axle. You'll probably have to remove the lower shock bolts to let the rear end fall enough to get the springs out. I had to remove the LCA bolds too to get to the rear shock lower bolt. You then lower the rear another 2" after you have pushed out the lower shock mount. The springs should come out easily now. Set your new springs on the perches and raise the rear end and as soon as the springs touch the frame, adjust them into place. I make sure the coils are both set in the same (coils start and end at the same point on the perch. Lift it another inch or two and replace the shock and LCA bolts, lift, remove jack stands and your done. You may be able to remove the springs with out removing the lower shocks but it's a biotch. Loc-tite the shock and LCA bolts because the nuts on them are usually the one time tightening type.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the help!

I just got done with them yesterday and I only needed to replace my springs but I ended up doing alot of unncessary work. All I had to do was jack up the diff put jackstands on the frame take out the jack and then remove the springs. Instead I took off the speaker panels and removed the carpet and unscrewed the nuts (which were a PITA) before I realized that all I had to do was take out the jack and just leave it on jackstands. At least it was a good learning experience!

-Patrick
Old 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patricklee88
Thanks for all the help!

I just got done with them yesterday and I only needed to replace my springs but I ended up doing alot of unncessary work. All I had to do was jack up the diff put jackstands on the frame take out the jack and then remove the springs. Instead I took off the speaker panels and removed the carpet and unscrewed the nuts (which were a PITA) before I realized that all I had to do was take out the jack and just leave it on jackstands. At least it was a good learning experience!

-Patrick
Yea you started to unbolt the top of the shock shaft from it's mount. I gained quite a bit of experience in doing my shocks and springs on the front and rear.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys,
I've been told that the car will slowly get lower within the next couple of days because the springs need to set. Well I looked at it today and it looks slammed. It seems so much lower than I anticipated. Is this becuase I am still running on the stock DeCarbons? It looks awkward and out of proportion because my front isnt lower yet. I'm just hoping that once I lower the front the rear won't look so low anymore.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shocks will not change your ride height. Post some pics of the car.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
Shocks will not change your ride height. Post some pics of the car.
Cool, I'll try to get some pics up tomorow. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patricklee88
Cool, I'll try to get some pics up tomorow. Thanks!
BMR's shouldn't sit that low. I had G2 Super Springs and those slammed the car. I just switched to Hotchkis springs and there is a noticeable difference in the height of the car.