Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Bags

well im sick and tired of scraping the **** outta my y pipe everytime i go in and out of my underground parking and im sick of the ugly stance of my springs (suspension technique).

So, im looking into air bags. mainly the ones from air ride technologies.

im pretty happy with the rear, i just want to get air bags for the fronts only.

just wondering if this will greatly reduce the handling of my car if anyone has gone this route.

m pretty sure air ride technologies would just sell me the fronts.. just not sure how much. i emailed them anyway.

thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of doing that with a unibody car but all the experiences I have had with frontal system have involved mounting on the frame of trucks.

Where would the airbag fit in a car like ours?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think it does.. air ride makes a kit that costs 1000 bucks
Old 03-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Launching!

http://www.ridetech.com/ website to air ride
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

1k for the front...300 for the rear. just replaces the factory stuff...looks faily simple, but the only thing I don't like about it is the big *** air tube or whatever the **** it is that you have to mount in your trunk. I have t tops and they go there..so no air ride.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah the compressor is big.. but luckily for my application i can get away using something small.

does anyone know where the cheapest place that sells these?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amit
yeah the compressor is big.
Its actually the air tank that is big the compressor itself is looks small. I know it was a re-run but they just did an install of this kit on an F-body (Project LS-Gun) on Horsepower TV today, it will probably be on again tommorow morning on Spike TV. If your looking into the kit I would definately watch the show. They claimed it improved the performance greatly and is fully adjustable, But that show is just one big advertisement so sometimes you have to take their opinions with a grain of salt. I LOVE MY DVR.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Blubrd
Its actually the air tank that is big the compressor itself is looks small. I know it was a re-run but they just did an install of this kit on an F-body (Project LS-Gun) on Horsepower TV today, it will probably be on again tommorow morning on Spike TV. If your looking into the kit I would definately watch the show. They claimed it improved the performance greatly and is fully adjustable, But that show is just one big advertisement so sometimes you have to take their opinions with a grain of salt. I LOVE MY DVR.
whats dvr?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:02 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

whats dvr?

digital video recorder...
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

I caught the Horsepower TV show today and made me reconsider air for handling. I know Air Ride has done a performance/track day deal the last couple years to get people out of the mindset that air is only for show. They had a 96-97 SS that they let people test stock then swapped out for the air setup and let them run again. They said it made a 5 second difference in lap times. That's HUGE! I've been thinking about it the rest of today. I don't like the huge air tank where they put it but I've seen people put nitrous bottles in place of the spare tire. There's plenty of tank size options out there and with a little fabbing you could find and mount a tank the size of a nitrous bottle in the spare tire well. You should be able to hide the rest of the stuff there as well or at least make use of the little area on the drivers side to put the other parts. I have T tops on my car and wouldn't want to give up the rear storage space for them with air stuff. I don't have money to do this now but it may be a future upgrade. It'd be sweet to have a setup you can slam for shows and then tweak for drag racing or auto crossing/track days.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:46 AM
TECH Regular

I saw the same thing today, looked interesting. Being able to adjust psi separately on each bag would be awesome.

~Alex
Old 03-26-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw the show too. But purchasing the air bags (both rear and front) do they come with the gas tank, gas lines, and all the other stuff, or do you have to purchase it separately($1200 more).
Also, the way they assembled everything in the trunk did that up alot of space. I thought up another way, putt all the electronic valves and hoses in the area where the CD-changer usually is, and the gas tank mounted on that top empty area on the rear of the car, where the trunk cover flap falls back on. Mounted in a way not to impair rear visibility of course.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I watched the show as well and the 5 seconds a lap thing was average with race drivers according to what they said, they could have been sandbagging on the runs with stock set up and/or got used to the track since they used the air bag set up after the stock setup. Just though I would throw that out there cause the show is one huge advertisement (dont bash me for this comment cause I still like the show and watch it about every week). I am sure the air ride setup is good but I highly doubt that it is any better than a good set of Koni or hal Adjustable shocks. The only benefit over getting some koni's or hals IMO would be that you could drop the car almost on the ground and adjustablility from your seat. The downside is a lot of space taken up, weight added to the car and a lot of selonoids/line/other parts that could malfunction. It does look cool but I would much rather stick with a good set of adjustable shocks, everyone can do what they want I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Last edited by 98Blubrd; 03-27-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah if i had the choice.. i would go with a koni setup. but my underground parking isnt forgiving. haha
Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what all of the products in the show are, advertisements. By the way, what happened to Stacey David from Trucks. Thse two guys seem pretty lame, both wating to portrait a big though guy that thinks he knows whats he's talking about, that well have to see. Stacey was more down to earth.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cumbias
Thats what all of the products in the show are, advertisements. By the way, what happened to Stacey David from Trucks. Thse two guys seem pretty lame, both wating to portrait a big though guy that thinks he knows whats he's talking about, that well have to see. Stacey was more down to earth.
They said those 2 guys were taking over cuz Stacey had other projects he wanted to do. I am not sure but the I think the big guy had just one earing and it was in his right ear (pretty sure one earing on the right is the gay side) and the other dude seemed a little fruity as well. Stacey was much better.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

You won't have any trunk space at all. I emailed them too and haven't yet got anything back from them. I had no idea you could purchase fronts and rears separately. The ride is really good and the handling is awesome with them (So i hear)
Old 03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

You can have trunk space..you just need to be creative with the placement of the stuff. If you're into the truck scene at all, airbag suspensions are huge and there's TONS of options for tanks so you can get one in about any size you could want. I'm pretty sure with some work you could make it all fit in the spare tire area.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting, i wonder how much it would cost to have it installed by someone who know's what he's doing? The good thing is you could set it up in a way that when you park the car it slams down this way no one can actually steal your car.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
The good thing is you could set it up in a way that when you park the car it slams down this way no one can actually steal your car.
Unless they find the switch panel. Which looked to be pretty big as well.