Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adjusting the ride height with koni SA's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting the ride height with koni SA's?

I bought a pair of koni SA's for my car, but the directions that come with them are terrible. I'm wondering how exactly you change the ride height with these struts?

One part of the directions looks like you actually flip the spring cup over and put in on the strut again. However, I also see what look like a snap ring and 2 grooves, but they're only about 1/4 of an inch apart.

Any input would be appreciated
Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

The 2 grooves at how you change the height. Just use the lower one for the lower height. DO NOT FLIP ANYTHING OVER. The car lowers more than what the distance between the two grooves are because of a thing called motion ratio. The wheel vs. body moves more than the shock vs. body does.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The 2 grooves at how you change the height. Just use the lower one for the lower height. DO NOT FLIP ANYTHING OVER. The car lowers more than what the distance between the two grooves are because of a thing called motion ratio. The wheel vs. body moves more than the shock vs. body does.

Gotcha

What would you recommend as far as the firmness settings on the strut? My car is just a daily driver, but I don't mind having a firm ride.

I don't know how good of a comparison this is, but a friend of mine has a 93 BMW 325 with H&R struts/springs on all 4 wheels, and while it's very firm, I still love the way it drives on the road. I know it's a completley different car from mine, but it's the only car I've been in with performance suspension. He's got stock sway bars as well..

Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Full soft in the back. I would try 1/4 from full soft in the front. This is with stock springs?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah it is. So one click away from full soft? They come preset at full soft, correct?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

About half stiff on the front, and 1/2 turn of the **** up from full soft is my recommended staring place for those shocks (assuming you have 4th gen rears, obviously that would change with the different way the 3rd gen rears adjust).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-25-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice