Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who has air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has air suspension?

seems like no one is rockin air ride tech on there cars.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am thinking about going with an air ride system. But havent really looked into it.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Launching!

i was watching horsepower tv this morning and saw them hook an air ride suspension up to a LS1 SS and that thing handled very well. Took up the little trunk space left in the car though. Was cool to see the airbags work. My roomate has airbags on his 68 caddy deville.Its pretty awesome.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Launching!

http://www.ridetech.com/ website to air ride
Old 03-25-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KissMyDSM92
i was watching horsepower tv this morning and saw them hook an air ride suspension up to a LS1 SS and that thing handled very well. Took up the little trunk space left in the car though. Was cool to see the airbags work. My roomate has airbags on his 68 caddy deville.Its pretty awesome.

yah i saw that too! man that think looked awesome! but damn seems like a messy install with all the wiring and what not.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Launching!

yea that was a lot of wiring...but this place right around the corner from here put my roomates suspension in and they did an excellent job...cleanly done...and it costed about $1100.

Personally id love to get that setup but that tank adds a lot of weight to the car...and it takes up a lot of space as well. It would be a nice set-up for a non-daily driver, but i need the minimal trunk space left in the LS1 cuz i like to take it on trips with me and enjoy driving it to my destinations. Highway roam for 10 hours...i love it!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if u have loudmouth exaust there is that big opening where the muffler used to be so could u mount the tank there.... the system doesnt seem that difficult to install though...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well my air ride stuff came in the other day. and im quite surprised at how light everything is!

im gonna try and mount the compressor where my spare tire used to be and have the tank in the trunk.
the tank weights only a few lbs. the compressor is about 5 lbs and thats the heaviest out of everything.

gonna install it this weekend if the weather here holds up and i will definately take some pics and what not.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

take lots of pix!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by presto_z
well if u have loudmouth exaust there is that big opening where the muffler used to be so could u mount the tank there.... the system doesnt seem that difficult to install though...

that's a very interesting idea as I am currently purchasing/planning my turbo and I am just going to have a turn down at the axle instead of full exhaust....
Old 05-02-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can you take some pics of the everything that came in the kit?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey amit, I noticed you've been doing some research for a while now... Maybe you'll know the answer to this, but I was wondering if there is any way to run the air ride suspension without a tank (just the compressor)?

Frankly I don't give a crap about how long it takes to inflate and I probably wouldn't change it more than once a month for speed bumps or parking garages. It just comes down to the fact that I absolutely won't mount anything where the T-tops go, and I don't want to lose my spare permanently either. I'm sure I can sneak the compressor into a cubby somewhere...
Old 05-08-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

absolutely. if you are just going with the fronts only then you can get away with just using a compressor. it would takee alot longer but it will definatley get the job done. i was gonna go with just the compressor. but im gonna be using this everyday so i didnt wanna wait there till the compressor fills up the airstruts where as there is plently of reserve if you use a tank.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

so, is there absolutely no way to place the tank in a position outside of the interior cabin? Maybe get an ultra-small reserve tank to tuck-in behind the muffler?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Pick up a Truckin or Mini Truckin mag. There's LOTS of options for air tanks in various sizes and styles. You just need to find a place you have room and see what you can fit. The deal they did on Horsepower TV was just a visual deal to show you the whole layout. I have been considering air and I would put all my stuff where my spare goes. You can get small pancake style tanks you might be able to fit on the drivers side cubby. I haven't looked around under the car to see what available space you have but you don't want air lines running near hot exhaust as they could melt and you'd be screwed.

Quick Reply: Who has air suspension?