Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some advice, help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice, help please

I have baer eradi speed plus rotors front & rear with raybestos cermanic brakes on my 2000 Camaro SS. The front rotors are wrapped the harder I press the brakes the more the front end vibrates just shakes steering wheel. Would the cermanic brakes have anything to do with this? I hate brake dust, so I went with cermanic pads keeps me from claying the chrome ZR-1's monthly. This has been getting worse over the last 5k miles. I installed this set up Nov 13, 2004 & have 30K miles mostly highway. I never do hard braking. Just normal stopping & down shifting.
Thanks,
David
2002 T/A Firehawk Convertible #814 NBM/Taupe/Taupe 6-speed all GM/SLP options. Last of the Breed
2001 T/A Firehawk #301 NBM/Taupe 6-speed all GM/SLP options
2000 Camaro SS #3492 NBM/Neutral leather 6-speed all GM/SLP options

Last edited by DavidH426; 04-03-2006 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you bed your brake rotors and pads in properly?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Yes, had all that done at Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet San Diego, Ca the only place I trust too take my 3 cars to. The entire brake system was bleed, new fluid etc.... I have heard about someone cracking a baer eradi speed plus rotor.
Thanks,
David

Last edited by DavidH426; 04-03-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then how did they bed them in? Many shops don't do that service because there are too many cars on the road during business hours and it cam take up to 5 to 6 hours to do so. It's done through an extensive on road procedure. FYI, eradispeeds aren't a performance upgrade.

I also used to live in San Diego, CA and I just called them up and they said that's the customer's responsibility.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

I do appreciate your help & yes you probably know more than I will about brakes, rotors etc... I have a friend who is an automobile mechanic who helped me put the rotors & brakes on everything went ok. Yes, we beded the brake pads & rotors. I have also talked to other f-body owners who I have met in person & these people tell me i.e. "cryoed" slows down the rotor warp & reducesd the amount of warpage or some pad material transfer to the rotor giving the shake. My 2 Firehawks have the original factory rotors yes, both have warped a couple of times. The vibration was nothing like what my SS does now. I do know baer eradi speed plus are not performance upgrades. I ordered oem baer eradi speed plus from baer in Phoenix, AZ. Are you still in Orange County I go to LA quite frequently my fiancia is in LA if you would like to look at this I willl more than be grateful & willing to allow you too. April 19-23 I will be in Phoenix, AZ for the NASCAR races & I will drive the car to Baer 3108 W. Thomas St 1201 baer says warrantry for life then I will hold baer to their warrantry.
Thank You,
David
Old 04-03-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for clarifying. I now know that they are now properly bedded in. I think he did bed them in, but I would like to mention that you are absolutely correct about the OEM POS rotors, however an FYI about cryoed rotors will reveal that their efficacy has been debunked. Even though they are cryoed, the rotors have not only the responsibility to slow down the vehicle with the proper applied friction on its friction surface area, but also to serve as sort of a heat sink so the pads will also transfer heat to the vents (vents and NOT driled holes or slots) in order to reduce the occurrence of brake fade from excessive heat softening the brake compound as opposed to "green fade", which is a fade that results from excessive outgassing and both can occur at the same time depending on application and driving habit, though green fade usually only occurs during the initial bed in process with many pads.

What was discovered was that even though the rotors were cryoed and yieled a much more "compacted" molecular structure @ room temp or extremely low operating temps, once they're put up to optimal operating temps, their molecular strucure will change due to the fact that the rotors are then being reheated considerably, which reverses the cryogenic process and thus defeating it's purpose altogethor. Crystalline analysis has proven that cryoed vs. non-cryoed rotors yield practically identical structures after they are seasoned and/or operated at their MOT. This is why many high performance DD and some drivers simply opt for improved pads and brembo blanks, because they get the job done in the exact same manner without spending excessive money.

For an engine block I could see cryoing being plausible if it's indeed the block, piston rods, and crankshaft and not the cylinder sleeves, heads, or pistons. Once again many tests with engine blocks seem plausible since the block doesn't absorb a whole lot of heat very fast compare to the heads and cylinder liners which indeed are in direct contact with hot combustion gasses.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Foxxton, thank you for all the advice, help, information, knowledge, etc... so how do I properly bed them now? What do I need to do? Are you in Orange Co if so could I make an appointment with you on this? The rotors & brakes have 30K miles on them. Last 5K terrifing vibration. I went 55K on original brake pads, so I doubt I need new pads.
David
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Appointment...Actually you don't have to be that formal with me, but it's sure fun to sound important. Anyways, no problem with meeting up, however since I have quite a bit to do, the best time to call me will be tomorrow. I'll PM you with information.