Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is relocated the torque off of the trans THAT imporant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is relocating the torque off of the trans THAT imporant?

I keep hearing mixed options here.

My car sees some track time, no road racing. I'm not making THAT much power.

Can I get away with a trans mounted arm? The performance shop I go through told me not to even waste my money. The problem is I'm lowered and the xmember mounted ones seem to hand down to low.

Opinions? Thanks!

Last edited by Frosty; 04-25-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

well you can get a trans mount unit from sphon or umi or whoever and get the trans crossmember mount for the TA...replaces the whole trans crossmember and it does not really hang any lower then stock...thats the best idea for you

i dont like the TA mounted on the trans...way to much stress on the trans and the trans mount
Old 04-27-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jerflash
well you can get a trans mount unit from sphon or umi or whoever and get the trans crossmember mount for the TA...replaces the whole trans crossmember and it does not really hang any lower then stock
thats what i would have done if i had to do it again... the chasis mounted TA hangs WAY to low and scrapes everything.... especially w/ sportlines
Old 04-27-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerflash
well you can get a trans mount unit from sphon or umi or whoever and get the trans crossmember mount for the TA...replaces the whole trans crossmember and it does not really hang any lower then stock...thats the best idea for you

i dont like the TA mounted on the trans...way to much stress on the trans and the trans mount
I have not dealt with those brands, but I have a bmr on my ta with hotchkiss springs, and it is significantly lower than stock. No speed bump is safe from my wrath. I am gauranteed to hit every one of them. I have left my mark on every incline I have driven on since the install.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

For strength and safety, the Spohn subframe mounted TA is awesome......downside is that is hangs lower than a 90 year old man's nuts that wore boxer shorts his whole life!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the spohn piece your talking about before I put the bmr piece on, the bmr is even lower than that. dig up on e of my older threads where I posted pics of my spohn piece after a couple years of use. I te definately saw it's share of carnage. strangley enought though, it kind of gave me piece of mind knowing that those bars took a hit before anything else on my car did. It got shaved flat on the bottom, but it never bent. It was a good piece, I just got sick of the clunking on my daily driver.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What we are seeing, is vehicles running 10.50's and quicker in the 1/4 are usually prone to tail shaft failure. Not always but this is most likely when it will happen. A manual car is much more rough on the tail shaft then a auto as well. A manual car will usually see 5-6K lauches and much more drive line abuse then a automatic.

Based on your driving Tony a stock style mounted torque arm will be 100% fine. If you see yourself racing more and building more power in the future you can then always upgrade to our relocation kit. However right now you would be fine.

Torque arm I would recommend-
http://www.umiperformance.com/2205.aspx

A future upgrade if needed-
http://www.umiperformance.com/Search...CategoryID=114

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you

Ryan

Last edited by UMI Performance; 04-27-2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You answered my question before I could even ask it!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Ryan

Quick Reply: Is relocated the torque off of the trans THAT imporant?