Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Saggy Suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saggy Suspension ?

i've got a question.... i have the stock Bilstein's on my SS with the SLP/Eibach springs that were an option. i believe SLP say's it "lowers your car up to an inch".

but i've noticed that the rear is a bit saggy looking. the front sits a bit higher than the rear. as you can kinda tell by this pic (older pic, but you get the idear)

anyways now with my black Zo6 rims, (17's and 18's) it is even more noticable with the larger rim out back tucking up nicely, and the front looks a little odd.

could anyone help steer me in the right direction.... i think what i'm ultimatly looking for is to pretty much slam the front. should i just get a Sportline (2" i believe they are) kit and just throw the fronts on...or does anyone make a spring for just the front to solve this problem? it's not a huge deal, but one of those things that i notice and drives me NUTS!

thanks in advanced for any help or suggestions!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh...and here's a pic of what suspension mod's im working with. it sat like this before the BMR stuff though. so i know this isn't the reason for it?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea, i say get some new springs. I actually found out that i might have the pro-kit..... original owner told me eibach kit, 2" drop, maybe he meant 1.2", but my springs are black and i think sportlines are supposed to be red so im not quite sure. So if mine are the prokit, then the sportlines would really slam it. If your going to get new springs for the front, id say throw them o nthe back as well so you dont have different rates or whatever but really when it coems to suspension i have no idea what im talking about. Just wanted to let you know i may not have sportlines after all, lol. peace bro

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Pro-kit started sagging to. I put my stockers back on the rear with the !Isolator! mod. The car has a nice rake to it now and I wish I would have done it a long time ago. Oh yeah and it rides 10x's better to. Even on the stock struts and shocks with 120k on them. I know not the right thing to do, but I did it. (No flaming needed)
Old 04-29-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

the !isolater! mod thing you speak of...is that when you take out the rubber piece that goes on top of the spring in the rear?

thing is, my springs are "stock" they're the eibach/SLP ones, but they are what the car came with. and the rear is sagging. so if i got some sportlines (2" drop) springs, and threw just the fronts on, would me car handle retarded? i would like to get the more of a raked look mostly to offset the look of smaller tires in the front, and larger ones in the rear.... oh and johnny, i'm pretty sure you have the sportlines with how low your car sits, but i could be wrong as well?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

yea me too, weird. Looking at it more and more, it may be the prokit, springs are black so IDK. Plus i was talking to a guy about clearance for an STS kit and me being lowered 2" he said i wouldnt be able to pull it off, but i gave him some measurements to my SFCs and he said i wasnt too low actually and it wouldnt be too bad of a prob...... weird.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-29-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
the !isolater! mod thing you speak of...is that when you take out the rubber piece that goes on top of the spring in the rear?

thing is, my springs are "stock" they're the eibach/SLP ones, but they are what the car came with. and the rear is sagging. so if i got some sportlines (2" drop) springs, and threw just the fronts on, would me car handle retarded? i would like to get the more of a raked look mostly to offset the look of smaller tires in the front, and larger ones in the rear.... oh and johnny, i'm pretty sure you have the sportlines with how low your car sits, but i could be wrong as well?
Yep that is what the !Isolator! mod is. Not really sure about the handling of the Sportlines so i'm not going to comment on them.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help skewba98Z28!...anyone else lurking out there care to chime in a help a brutha out haha?
Old 04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im wondering the same thing i have the same problem i was thinkin about just putting springs in the front
Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea it seems to be a somewhat common problem in these cars from what i've read and have been told....i would just like some feedback from what others have done, or maybe what springs hold up better?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you think your car is terrible with what it has now, you'll really be in a fit with sportlines. Sportlines are an "appearance only" spring set. That being said, with that comes at least two troubles:

1. way too low ride height with way too low spring rates. You'll not only sag lower, but you'll have a bouncy ride, even with good shocks. You'll have nothing but bumpstop for a suspension.

2. A too much lower of a ride height will also hurt performance as your suspension geometry will be changed to the point where your adjustible suspension will not be able to compensate for much of the change.

FWIW, the SLP/Eibach springs actually end up with a considerably lower ride height than promised.

My suggestion? Find some OE rear springs and use the hose mod. You'll have a decent ride height coupled with the SLP/eibach fronts.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm aware of the bouncy ride with sportlines, my buddy has 'em on his stratus, given it's not an F-Body....but it is rather bouncy, but i just want the front lower, the rear is just fine. i like where the rear sits now, i just want the front to go down another 1/2 inch
Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're already quite low as it is. If you want to go lower in the front, that's up to you. Just be prepared to have a crazy bone jarring ride with worsened handling due to riding and slamming on the bumpstops. Your shocks are already probably at their minimum travel limit.

If you're gearing towards looks, I think you'll get what you want. If it's handling you're after, you ought think twice about going any lower than you already are.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah...i'm just going for looks on this....the car really isn't slammed....the front sits up way higher...the pics really don't justify how weird it sits...it just bugs me...a friend of mine has the G2's and his car sits nice...maybe it's just the fact that mine are maybe just worn out and getting a little saggy? just a new Pro-Kit all around would even things out?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't really say that your springs are sagging from age, however it might be your shocks that are wearing out. What about your shocks? I'm assuming that your shocks are the Bilsteins, as in the Y2Y package. I don't know if they're wearing out from age or not, but it would surprise me as Bilstein makes a lot of shocks that usually outlast the life of many vehicles (so to speak). That's not to suggest that there can never be any defects, but it's another area to consider.

FWIW, I've never really cared for Eibach OE "replacement" products. For some reason, they all develop some sort of sag after a while, which results in more than desired drop, and worse, they have some sort of wierdo spring rates. Another good question to ask is...what kind of stuff have you put in your trunk? If it's a huge speaker system, then that's your biggest culprit for sagging the rear.

AFA the G2 springs, from what I have seen, I've been impressed. While they aren't what I have (G2 CO), They do offer a great mixture of ride height and spring rate, however I might anger a few by going against some "manufacturer suggestions" by combining them with Koni SA's and not Bilstein yellows, even revalves. Another spring set that lowers pretty well with good rates would be the H&R springs.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

while i do have some bumps in the trunk. i'm sure that is some of it...never really thought about it...but the first pic of the car from the side in my driveway. that was taken like the day i got the car. and i'm thinkin the bumps in the trunk are making it worse...that never crossed my mind. i know that it sure isn't helping things...but it sat like that prior too...i think i might just go with some G2's and new shocks. not sure exactly what though......

this isn't helpin in the sagging depo though....
anyone wanna but it? lol....i built it when i was younger and into that loud *** ****...now i rarely turn my stereo up.

oh and my car has 49K miles, so i dunno if the stock yellow bilsteins are getting worn out now?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bingo!

Just as I thought. That's the usual culprit when it comes to rear end sag. Just imagine if you added something in the department of Eibach Sporlines. Your situation would result into something absolutely horrible.

I guess you could opt for G2's or H&R's, however I would hold tight and see if Sam Strano wants to have a shot at a possible sale. If he does, he'll encourage you to call him and talk over what your options are. Even if he doesn't, you'd still best to call his shop and arrange a time to discuss what's a good option for you.

To get a better look at what G2's and H&R's ride hieghts yield, go to the sticky with that has ride height pictures (usually at the top of the thread).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/406330-those-who-want-see-ride-height-after-springs.html

Even though you're just anxious to get out from the situation your suspension is in, I'd hate for you to jump into something that would be okay for someone like me (DD with lots of AX and RR on the side), which might end up being something you don't like, but at least by the sounds of what you mention, you don't seem to mind the G2 Supersprings.

My rationale behind this is to do what is logical, and not what's just forum consensus. As said, the lower the ride height, the higher the spring rate needed, thus also needing shocks that are capable of handling the higher rates. That's kind of why I suggested what I did above.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

will do...thanks for all the help Foxxtron!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem,

BTW, if you choose to run with a trunk capacity within OE spec., be aware that both the G2 and H&R fronts are okay, but the rears springs are a bit too high of a spring rate. Don't be too surprise if Sam and a few other experienced drivers around here will suggest something in the range of a stock spring rate (~150lbs.).

From my experience as well, I have found any rear spring rate over 150 with a 21mm to 22mm rear sway bar to be way too much for the 4th gen f-body.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and sorry to keep adding to this thread, but it now makes sense why you'll have even more problems with the front:

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
... SLP takes compression damping away from what Bilstein HD's come with. Compression damping controls unsprung weight, you don't have less unsprung weight that would allow one to take that out. Basically it's one reason I don't use those shocks, because the valving is not all that good and it's changing the way impacts get transmitted to the body vs. getting damped out...
AFA I have experienced, what Sam describes about SLP removing the compression in their Bilsteins is a no no from my experience as well. Another reason you might consider ponying up to newer shocks (I'd say Koni SA's. Again they don't come cheap, but they are worth every penny and are lifetime guaranteed provided you're the original owner.)

The reason I posted again is to include the above quote as well as to mention that I am meeting more people who are becoming dissatisfied with how their SLP Bilsteins are performing.

Quick Reply: Saggy Suspension ?