Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Really LOUD squeak coming from the rear of the car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem,turned out to be my pass side exhaust mount!! Spray som wd40 on it..
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

For now exhaust is pretty much out of questions as I was twisting and shaking it multiple times
Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Found the reason - it was LCA rear bushings rotating dry inside rear-end brackets. Also some noise was from dry PHB bushings. Sqeak-free now
P.S. Actually LCA squeaks are pretty easy to diagnose, just unbolt front of LCA and rotate it with your hand. Although you might disrupt rear-end alignment by doing this
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to see you got it figured out, and I don't know how I missed this post, my apologies. We always suggest people check out the grease ever other oil change, or two or three times a year. Make sure you're using a synthetic grease, too. A petroleum based grease will eat away at the bushing material.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

But how exactly to check it? I couldn't figure it out until I unbolted the front of LCA
Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vetal
But how exactly to check it? I couldn't figure it out until I unbolted the front of LCA
Really you just have to visually inspect them and buy a grease gun. Give each busing a click or two of grease every other oil change. You shouldn't need to unbolt anything.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

problem is, we greased the bushings with the gun but they remained dry on the outside and sqeaks remained. What we pumped inside didn't help on the outer of the bushings
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vetal
problem is, we greased the bushings with the gun but they remained dry on the outside and sqeaks remained. What we pumped inside didn't help on the outer of the bushings
Ah, well yes, you'll have to unbolt the bushings to grease the outer edges.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just to add, I even used stethoscope trying to locate the squeak, it appeared like it was coming from LCA but really only when I unbolted them I saw clearly where it's coming from
Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! I can't find where this god forsaken squeak is coming from! It only occurs when I'm slowly going over a speedbump through a plaza, and it's really loud. It also happens from time to time if I got over a bump on the road at a certain speed, but rarely since road bumps don't have the up/down shape of a speedbump.

I removed my spare and jack to see if it was that, it wasn't. Now, I took my car to my mechanic to replace a bad valve stem, and had him look at the rear suspension while the car was in the air. They found one thing. The adjustable jamnut on the Hotchkis panhard rod kept coming loose due to it being a little large, so they grounded down the mount on the chassis side a little to make some room for it. Well, that wasn't making that squeak noise.

Also, I had Spohn LCA's with poly bushings and poly rear swaybar endlinks installed last year, keeping the stock rubber swaybar bushings. They where installed using a drive-on lift. The stock swaybar endlinks squeaked at first, but I replaced those with the poly ones and the noise went away.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I had the WS6 springs and Bilstein shock installed. That's when the loud squeak started. I had him use the isolator pads that came with the springs [bought them used], so they should be the stock pads from the WS6 they came off of. But I also still have the stock springs and pads from my car. Would greasing the pads do anything, or would that be a bad thing?

My mechanic agreed to take a look at the spring when I get time to take my car their next week. He also said if it comes down to it, he'll just check every damn bolt and tighten everything down.

I just had my 17" wheels installed last week with 275/40/17 Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval tires [awesome awesome tires btw]. Could the tires be rubbing somewhere causing the noise? I don't see how, since I'm running on factory WS6 wheels and not aftermarket. But still, thousands of people are running those size wheels and tires, and even bigger without problems. And the squeak was happening before the tires where installed when I had the factory 16" wheels with 245/50/16 Goodyear RSA's.

I have one last question. Could a bad shock be causing the squeak? I bought the Bilstein shocks brand new from Summit Racing, so I don't think they could be bad.

I'll tell my mechanic to recheck the LCA bolts, endlink bolts, and swaybar mounts.

Please help
I think I have the same problem. When somone pushes down on the back of the car I can hear the squeak. It's mostly stock. I've sprayed lithium grease in everthing that moves and that didn't seem to solve the problem. This one is behind the driver and it's driving me nuts.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one squeak i had was the phb bolt hole on the body mount was wearing into an oval shape and therefore shifting - tightened the hell out of it. another noise i had was a shock would rub against a spring towards the inside - hard to see, or the spring rubbing on the body seam between the shock and spring...

if i just coat the whole f* thing in lizard skin will my f body ever be quiet?!?! lol

Quick Reply: Really LOUD squeak coming from the rear of the car!