Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cornering, something doesn't feel right.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Cornering, something doesn't feel right!

Late last summer driving my Camaro I noticed it was starting to feel a little loose I guess on the corners and curves. I've taken it easy since then and so far this spring it still feels that way. When I take a mild curve on the highway or road the weight really shifts to the outside. I don't remember it being this way in the past. I don't feel comfortable going into a curve anymore and I should. The car feels like its leaning instead of staying tucked and low like it used to. I'm thinking maybe the struts/shocks are bad, anybody else have any ideas?

Last edited by Orange Terror; 05-08-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tire pressure makes a big difference especially if you've
gone large / taller sidewalls. Try a couple more PSI and
see what that does, air is free (or at least, cheap).
Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Tire pressure makes a big difference especially if you've
gone large / taller sidewalls. Try a couple more PSI and
see what that does, air is free (or at least, cheap).
Yeah but would that make the car lean like that? I'm running 35 psi in the fronts and 30 in the backs. Stock wheels and tire sizes, 245/50-16.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Check your sway bar endlinks for wear or breakage. Shocks and swaybars work together to control body roll, so if one or the other starts to fail, you will feel a difference. Does it roll more turning one way or the other?

-Mike
Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Check your sway bar endlinks for wear or breakage. Shocks and swaybars work together to control body roll, so if one or the other starts to fail, you will feel a difference. Does it roll more turning one way or the other?

-Mike
I don't think so. And my other thought on the shocks is it seems to be pretty bouncy in the front end just driving straight too. It appears to be a strut but I thought they were just a coil over shock on the front of these?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

Where abouts are you located in Michigan? I'm in Livonia (metro Detroit) if you need a hand.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
I don't think so. And my other thought on the shocks is it seems to be pretty bouncy in the front end just driving straight too. It appears to be a strut but I thought they were just a coil over shock on the front of these?
They're actually shocks, but they mount kinda like struts. If it's "floaty", that sounds like a shock problem. Hard to diagnose over the interweb, though.

-Mike
Old 05-08-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
They're actually shocks, but they mount kinda like struts. If it's "floaty", that sounds like a shock problem. Hard to diagnose over the interweb, though.
-Mike
I know, I was just looking for any ideas I could get. I really think that's what it is. So if I buy shocks I have to put the springs on the new ones then right?

Originally Posted by Gregg_98TA
Where abouts are you located in Michigan? I'm in Livonia (metro Detroit) if you need a hand.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I'm in GR (Grand Rapids) so about 3 hours from you. If you get a chance, and are looking for a local fbody community come check out www.mifbody.com. Its all michigan people on it.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Shocks. All shocks.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-08-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Shocks. All shocks.
Alright. So I'm gonna get shocks later, anything special I need to change the fronts? Do I have to compress the springs?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, you will need to compress the front springs.

Here is a write-up on how to swap them:
http://www.keliente.com/suspension.htm

-Mike
Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's one with pictures, however ignore the coil-over bit if you aren't installing ground controls.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8

for the rears, just look for the "square flaps" and cut them open to reach to top rear shock mounts. It's easier and much faster than the whole "folding back the whole carpet" bit.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks won't (or shouldn't) limit body lean. They might slow it down, but not eliminate it.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Shocks won't (or shouldn't) limit body lean. They might slow it down, but not eliminate it.
That's right. Shocks don't control how much the car rolls or pitches. But they do control the rate at which is happens. Slow the rate down, and the car is much more stable and easier to drive.

If you want to actually cut roll, that's the job of swaybars and springs (and a combination). But shocks should be done first, they are the biggest problem.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

I have family in GR, but I am not planning on being in that area for a couple of weeks yet.

I agree with Sam on this though. It really sounds like shocks. If you decide to order instead of picking shocks up locally, I highly suggest Sam. He has a wealth of information and won't steer you wrong.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gregg_98TA
I have family in GR, but I am not planning on being in that area for a couple of weeks yet.

I agree with Sam on this though. It really sounds like shocks. If you decide to order instead of picking shocks up locally, I highly suggest Sam. He has a wealth of information and won't steer you wrong.
Well, I don't have a lot of money to spend on shocks right now so I'm just picking up some Monroe's at Advance for now. Next year I might spend more and get a really good set. If so I will definetely give Sam a hollar.

When you come up Gregg, you should come out and meet the rest of us at our weekend cruise/hangout/meet.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's a mistake...... What would you be paying for the Monroe's? I also have Monroe, but would sooner see you on other things first. And even a set of Bilstein HD's are just under $350 for a set of 4, less for just rears. But that too would be a mistake.

And what are you saving? You might save some on shocks, but then you have to pay to have them done again, and pay for another set of shocks, again. I think you might be working under the impression can't get better for near the same price, and that's not true.