Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rear end and suspension - HORRIBLE ride.. WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck If you go with konis they have way to much rate to let you transfer weight to the back. Hals will work ok with stock rates. And can be adjusted for the strip. No way you can have ur cake and eat it too. Maybe u can get more cars. One for the drags and one for autox
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Good luck If you go with konis they have way to much rate to let you transfer weight to the back. Hals will work ok with stock rates. And can be adjusted for the strip. No way you can have ur cake and eat it too. Maybe u can get more cars. One for the drags and one for autox
As soon as I get home from the track the first thing to do is try stock rate springs with hals and see how it drives. Then go to the track and see how it hooks.

Is there anywhere I can see data from all different shocks however they are measured? Like for instance, what is the rate of the lowest rebound setting on a Koni, vs. lowest setting on a hal or mid-level setting on a hal.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks are usually measured on a graph (more of a plot actually) that shows the force requred to move the piston at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and usually 7 inches per second. Since they do compression and rebound, it has a center line and can look like a football (depending on what type of tester is used), or it will be an upper and lower graph, running in opposite directions showing compression and rebound. I have the plots from my rear Koni DA's from when they were rebuilt. The problem is that they were rebuilt and my not match stock valving. The other problem is that you may have a difficult time finding that info on other shocks. And then, you have to develop a frame of reference to make sense of it all (possibly the hardest part). But, it would be a way to find what you need to know.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

You know, I talked with a customer of mine just yesterday. He has my suspension setup on his car (including the Koni's), but drag races too. His last time to the strip he cut a 1.73 60'... That's on his autox setup. No shock changes, no unhooking of bars, nothing but adding Nitto Drag Radials.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into double adjustable QA1s or if you want to be able to control the ride height in the rear you can go with double adjustable coil over QA1s for the rear.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

He has QA1's, and they're the problem.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

He doesn't have double adjustable, he has the single adjustable which is way different.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And why do you think the DA HAL's will help him? He doesn't need less compression damping, he already has too little to control that heavy-*** axle. And you can't tell me that a "drag shock" will have enough compression damping to handle the job on the street.

And the rebound, well.... it sucks and that won't change.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

He told you speed
Old 05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And why do you think the DA HAL's will help him? He doesn't need less compression damping, he already has too little to control that heavy-*** axle. And you can't tell me that a "drag shock" will have enough compression damping to handle the job on the street.

It's the rebound thats the adjustable part on a Hal right? Or are they opposites front to rear? (like rebound on the fronts, and compression on the rears)

Sam, where does a stock decarbon shock fit in? Somewhere between a hal and a koni? Because we switched back to all stock on the car and it drives like it did before the heavy dana was put it. As if the stock shocks do not have a problem handling all that weight, or at least not really a noticable difference.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Well on the single adjustable QA1s it is a fixed ratio between compression and rebound where on the double adjustable you can adjust compression and rebound independently. You have alot more adjustability with the double adjustable QA1s than you do with the single adjustable QA1s. I agree with you that the single adjustable QA1s pretty much suck for a street shock and I know basically in your eyes there is no other shock worth having on the street besides a Koni.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The stock shocks have way too much compression damping for the stock axle (which is one reason they have such a skittery personality). That's working for you now.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I know basically in your eyes there is no other shock worth having on the street besides a Koni.
Completely untrue. They are the best thing, but not the only thing worth having. However, I do believe HAL's are junk.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam I would like to see u and speed race on the TV show pinks. That would be gr8. If he only had to give u 8 cars he would win in 3. Think we could set it up at Mason Dixson drag way in MD. lol He has Hals
Old 05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't get it. You don't know **** about me, my car, or my ability to drag race. And just what any of that has to do with the shocks, I don't have a clue. You seem to think that you need to have HAL's for this, Koni's for that and so on. I just pointed out a car that is not a "drag" car pulling 1.73's on Koni's.

Sometimes I think you type just to hear yourself talk.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, I used to run at Mason Dixon (I also worked at the Parts America on Dual Highway, when it was still in the plaza by the drug store....all of that has been many years ago). Did they ever fix the bump as you come off of the launch pad (right lane I think) at 100 ft or so out? That used to be a pretty nasty bump that would unsettle things. However, it's been 12+ years since I've made a pass there.

Yellow, where are you from? I was expecting the wheeling area, but I'm guessing the eastern panhandle (which is where I call home, I just don't live there). I'll be headed that way again this summer.

Edit: Based on Speeds profile, I'm guessing Berkeley Springs. I usually cut down River Road on my way home, but sometimes I come through town.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gr8 trackbird

Ya both speed and I are from Berkeley springs. He lives right at the railroad track off of river road and i am not far. Ya they fixed the bump. You get alot of cars at mason dixion most any day. I would like to get to summit point but have not made it yet. If you get to the area I would like to get together and chat.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Gr8 trackbird

Ya both speed and I are from Berkeley springs. He lives right at the railroad track off of river road and i am not far. Ya they fixed the bump. You get alot of cars at mason dixion most any day. I would like to get to summit point but have not made it yet. If you get to the area I would like to get together and chat.

I'll be headed down that road in June. PM me before then and I'll get a number from you or something. I'm going to be at Summit Point for the 12 hour endurance race on the 23rd. I'll either be crewing or grilling/drinking beer. Either way, it's a good time.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam a good 60' time is 1.4X. That would be 3 of the 8 car that would be the bet. Why dont you come over and drag race. I think 8 cars is alot. Why not show me that I just like to hear myself talk. I think it would be a good time. I know speed would love to race and he has HAL. I think if u lost, that would show that Hals are for the drags konis for Autox. I would like to see u to put ur money where your mouth is. Just let me know the date and the bet.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This is a car setup to handle. All of it, springs and everything. He slapped on a set of Drag radials and ran that time. That's not "too bad". If you had softer springs, turned the front shocks down, unhooked the bar, etc. I'm pretty sure he's have been able to do better.

Last I checked this is the handling and braking forum, not the drag race forum. As such, that's what deal with. I'm pretty well versed in what I do. Anyone can google me and find what I'm about, SCCA National titles included. How about you?

I'm not saying that HAL's aren't better for drag racing than Koni's. So are worn out piece of crap OEM shocks. After all, what you want is a tremendous lack of rebound control. Sheeh. I'm saying that Koni's will work pretty damn well in a drag situation given the chance. Koni's at full soft aren't all that stiff. Stiffer than HAL's? Sure, and so is cooked spaghetti.....

I don't see you showing up to put you handling expertise on the line..... Of course that doesn't stop you from spewing it all the time. Come autocross. 5/21, 8 AM, Mid-state airport in Philipsburg PA. Take you all of 2 hours to get there.

Quick Reply: New rear end and suspension - HORRIBLE ride.. WTF??