Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rear end and suspension - HORRIBLE ride.. WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drag bar

i'm getting a sphon drag bar for my 02 hawk i thought that with it being adj. i could find the happy spot with the big rear sway bar . or am i totally wronge billyb.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I don't get it. You don't know **** about me, my car, or my ability to drag race. And just what any of that has to do with the shocks, I don't have a clue. You seem to think that you need to have HAL's for this, Koni's for that and so on. I just pointed out a car that is not a "drag" car pulling 1.73's on Koni's.

Sometimes I think you type just to hear yourself talk.
Damn Sam you get pissed off real easy. I am not too impressed with a 1.73 60' on drag radials. I think if I would put my front sway bar back on my car it would handle pretty damn good with the double adjustable HAL's.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed. I've said this in other threads, but I'll mention it here too.

When you get a stock F-body (and get out of your POS whateveritwas that you are/were driving), it seems really fast and handles "great". As you modify it, it gets better. Then you say "wow, it was "crap" when it was stock". Then you change to aftermarket shocks and springs, etc. The car is far different and possibly better. If it's the best setup you've ever driven, it's going to be "pretty damn good". It's not until you hop in a car that's been fully prepped for competition and realize that you could go much farther than you currently have that you begin to realize that "pretty damn good" is not nearly what it could be. I'm not saying anything about your setup specifically, just that people often think "this is as good as it gets" until they drive something better and find out what it could be.

Did that make sense?

You can set a car up on HAL's and if you crank up the adjustment enough, it might feel reasonably responsive and work well enough (I'm not going to say "properly", but well enough). But, just as Koni's won't let me run the drag times that HAL's (and the like) will, HAL's would absolutely be slower/harder to drive on a road couse. Again, this is because of the different rebound needs of the two uses (drag = not much rebound if any, handling = lots of rebound). They really are just opposites.

I'd love to meet up with you guys when I'm in town this summer, unfortunately, I won't be driving my Camaro on that trip (not that we can't still catch up with each other).
Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Well said Kevin.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't get pissed easy. I get pissed when people who have nothing to hang their hats on spout off like they have a clue.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam all I try to tell people is what i did, and how my car handles. Speed has a fast drag car. You say "that people spout off and have nothing to hang our hats on". My point is come drag race Speed(he would kill me). We will do it on pinks and we will who walks way and who rides. I love that show. Hals are for drag racing and konis are not. Want to put ur car where ur mouth is????

Track you saw Speed say "if I put on my frount sway bar". He love to drag race and he thinks a frount sway bar is just added weight. On the long sweepers his car rolls over pretty good but it is fast in the 1/4. He knows that and with a frount and hals on hard the is car is better than stock. What more could u want.(If your a drag racer)
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Sam all I try to tell people is what i did, and how my car handles. Speed has a fast drag car. You say "that people spout off and have nothing to hang our hats on". My point is come drag race Speed(he would kill me). We will do it on pinks and we will who walks way and who rides. I love that show. Hals are for drag racing and konis are not. Want to put ur car where ur mouth is????

Track you saw Speed say "if I put on my frount sway bar". He love to drag race and he thinks a frount sway bar is just added weight. On the long sweepers his car rolls over pretty good but it is fast in the 1/4. He knows that and with a frount and hals on hard the is car is better than stock. What more could u want.(If your a drag racer)

I do understand (Speed and I have PM'd). I was just trying to clarify some points. It's no problem on my end.

Quick Reply: New rear end and suspension - HORRIBLE ride.. WTF??