Other
17.38%
Voters: 633. You may not vote on this poll

Best Lower Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 03:45 PM
Teching In

Default my fav lca

check out hardcore motorsports lcas. they are made out of 4130. i got mine with a threaded stainless steel housed poly bushing in one end and qa sphrerical in the other. you can run these in any combo you want, both heim, both poly, or half and half, just switch out the ends you want. same with their phb. these are the only other option of poly rod combo i know of that may be adjusted on the car other than spohn's. i can take a pic of mine mounted on the car and post if anyone is interested. they are shown on the hardcore racing site which is a sponsor here. i was going to build some aluminum lcas with the rubber threaded bushing in one end per another members invention on this forum but when i found the hardcore pieces i just opted to get them. very satisfied.

Last edited by moz2801; 07-26-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2006 | 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who keeps bumping these threads to the top and then erasing their post?
Old 07-30-2006 | 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Who keeps bumping these threads to the top and then erasing their post?
I think its just everytime someone votes it jumps to the top
Old 07-31-2006 | 10:09 PM
Teching In

I have some questions for Steve at SJM. First off, you seem very knowledgeable, and I would like to do business, however I have a few questions...

How does your product compare to some of the other manufacturers? I seem to hear the most about UMI's product, and generally I follow the largest opinions about car parts.

Also, it says that your LCAs come ready to paint....do they need to be painted?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-31-2006 | 10:22 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

SJM is cheaper and have offset ones so they don't rub on wider tires.
Old 08-01-2006 | 07:05 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks Fast and thank you locker for your comments. Our price-points do appear to be far-less expensive then some.

We do offer either offset bushings for customer that have larger tires so their LCA's do not hit the tires OR standard bushings for folks who do not need the offset.

Regarding comparisons to other manufactures on this site, I feel we all have similar designed LCA's with similar characteristics. A LCA/PHR as such, is a very basic designed component. Analysis differences can be very small if at all non-existent. Structural components used are essentially identical in design.

Our suspension components are not painted as with many race components; this is not an integral necessity for design. Being a race component that is seldom seen, we feel keeping costs down to pass onto the customer is best. This leaves the ability of the end-user to consider matching the LCA’s to any other component rather easily. For many, a can of $2.00 paint can be better then spending more then $50.00-$75.00 higher costs in end-product. Finishes obtained can actually look better then powder-coated surfaces. They are prepped and ready to paint. Keep in mind, your cars exterior is not powder-coated… At any point, the surface can be easily re-coated to a new color if desired. Powder-coating is not always the best option. If in the future, our customers demanded only powder-coated components, of course, we could meet their needs.

Why choose one brand over another? Customer support as well as product knowledge and knowing you feel confident in the manufacture and their ability to deliver. My background and history shows that I am knowledgeable and experienced regarding design intent and discussion of such. Time may be a consideration, if you need the component today, parts won't take 3 weeks to deliver. We do stock our parts, parts are shipped typically same day or within 24hrs of ordering.

In fairness to all, UMI, BMR Spohn the most visible manufactures appears to be all reliable companies. If you have a working relationship with any of the manufactures and they have been positive, stick with the ones you like. They appreciate repeat customers.
Old 08-04-2006 | 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Thanks Fast and thank you locker for your comments. Our price-points do appear to be far-less expensive then some.

We do offer either offset bushings for customer that have larger tires so their LCA's do not hit the tires OR standard bushings for folks who do not need the offset.

Regarding comparisons to other manufactures on this site, I feel we all have similar designed LCA's with similar characteristics. A LCA/PHR as such, is a very basic designed component. Analysis differences can be very small if at all non-existent. Structural components used are essentially identical in design.

Our suspension components are not painted as with many race components; this is not an integral necessity for design. Being a race component that is seldom seen, we feel keeping costs down to pass onto the customer is best. This leaves the ability of the end-user to consider matching the LCA’s to any other component rather easily. For many, a can of $2.00 paint can be better then spending more then $50.00-$75.00 higher costs in end-product. Finishes obtained can actually look better then powder-coated surfaces. They are prepped and ready to paint. Keep in mind, your cars exterior is not powder-coated… At any point, the surface can be easily re-coated to a new color if desired. Powder-coating is not always the best option. If in the future, our customers demanded only powder-coated components, of course, we could meet their needs.

Why choose one brand over another? Customer support as well as product knowledge and knowing you feel confident in the manufacture and their ability to deliver. My background and history shows that I am knowledgeable and experienced regarding design intent and discussion of such. Time may be a consideration, if you need the component today, parts won't take 3 weeks to deliver. We do stock our parts, parts are shipped typically same day or within 24hrs of ordering.

In fairness to all, UMI, BMR Spohn the most visible manufactures appears to be all reliable companies. If you have a working relationship with any of the manufactures and they have been positive, stick with the ones you like. They appreciate repeat customers.

While I did NOT (therefore I am not speaking a word about his products) do business with steve here, I must say that from his posts and emails, he most definitly seems like a stand up guy. Plus he is an engineer, that gets points in my book (Going to school to be a EE&Computer E dual major)
Old 08-05-2006 | 04:59 AM
Teching In

try wolfe system
Old 08-05-2006 | 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Locker, once again, thank you for your feedback.

While double adjustable rod-ended components have benefits over poly or poly-rod setups, they are not for everyone. I'm sure that you will be satisfied with the purchase that you made.

Good luck with your degree's! Have a great day
Old 08-06-2006 | 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Locker, once again, thank you for your feedback.

While double adjustable rod-ended components have benefits over poly or poly-rod setups, they are not for everyone. I'm sure that you will be satisfied with the purchase that you made.

Good luck with your degree's! Have a great day
Thanks

If I hard pure race plans for the car, then I would have went with double adjustable rod ends. However, the car sees alot more street than strip. In three years of owning the car, I have not gone to the strip yet.
Old 08-14-2006 | 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions of UMI's Tubular Lower Control Arms & Non-Adjustable Panhard Bar Kit http://www.umiperformance.com/201520.aspx ? See I ordered a set of 2pt boxed weld in sfcs from them that I haven't installed yet, and I'd like to get a set of LCAs to install at the same time. This kit caught my eye. I don't plan on lowering the car, and I don't autoX it either. My car is a weekend cruiser that sees the track every once in a while. So with that said, does this kit fit my needs? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2006 | 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID
I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions of UMI's Tubular Lower Control Arms & Non-Adjustable Panhard Bar Kit http://www.umiperformance.com/201520.aspx ? See I ordered a set of 2pt boxed weld in sfcs from them that I haven't installed yet, and I'd like to get a set of LCAs to install at the same time. This kit caught my eye. I don't plan on lowering the car, and I don't autoX it either. My car is a weekend cruiser that sees the track every once in a while. So with that said, does this kit fit my needs? Thanks in advance.
From what you have just described that kit will work perfect for you

The polyurethane bushings will have less deflection over the stock OEM bushings, they still over a nice ride but will also help with traction issues.

If I can help anymore please ask.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 08-16-2006 | 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the feedback Ryan. I'll be sure to let you know if I need anything else before I'm ready to order.
Old 08-20-2006 | 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I guess you guys can figure out who I voted for. Since we're on the subject I wanna build a bad *** street/strip car and with the car being lowered and what I want to do with it, will this setup benefit me? I'm not trying to ***** out this thread but I made this list and saved it for future refrence. Hopefully Ryan has some input.

UMI 3 Point Sub-Frame Connectors (Weld In)
UMI K-Member w/Poly Motor Mounts
UMI Front A-Arm Kit
UMI Double Adjustable Chrome Moly Panhard Bar & Lower Control Arm Kit
UMI Torque Arm Relocation Kit
UMI Tunnel Brace Mounted Torque Arm – Drive Shaft Loop – Mounting Hardware – Chrome Moly
UMI Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets – (Weld In)

Why is it that the Chromoly TA is for "serious racers only"

KONI Double Adjustable Sport Shock – Front & Rear
EIBACH Springs Pro-Kit

Still debating on Sway Bars... UMI doesn't sell any tho..
Old 08-20-2006 | 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

From: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Running the Spohn tubular non-adjustable here
Old 08-21-2006 | 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

T-t-t
Old 09-12-2006 | 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Spohn tubular non adj.
Old 09-21-2006 | 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLACKNREDSS
Spohn tubular non adj.
same here, got em cheap off a board member, still new in box and they work great
Old 09-22-2006 | 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

I had to vote for BMR since thats what I'm gonna be puttin on soon. I only got them b/c I got them locally. They are Boxed BMR LCA's w/relocation brackets for $100 basically brand new.
Old 09-22-2006 | 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Might I convince anyone to do a short comparison listing pros/cons between poly/rod and rod/rod for a DD?

Quick Reply: Best Lower Control Arms?